Australia - Upcoming Fixtures

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Caesar, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
  2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Socceroos

Olyroos (U-23)

17 October 2007
    Olympic Qualifying Tournament
    v. Lebanon
    TBC,

17 November 2007
    v. Iraq
    TBC,

21 November 2007
    v. DPR Korea
    TBC,

Young Socceroos (U-20)

No upcoming fixtures scheduled at this time

Joeys (U-17)

Matildas

Young Matildas (U-20)

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In other news, Middle East nations Kuwait and Oman have both offered to provide the opposition for the Socceroos for a World Cup warm-up match scheduled to be played at Robina, Gold Coast, on October 11 - four days before the qualifier against Qatar in Brisbane. However, national coach Pim Verbeek is believed to be reluctant to play either team because both have been drawn against Australia in the 2011 Asian Cup qualifiers, which start early next year.

Verbeek is also scouting for "European-style" opponents for another warm-up match ahead of the April 1 World Cup qualifier against Uzbekistan in Sydney. Old foes New Zealand, who are likely to be preparing for the FIFA Confederations Cup, are possible opponents.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/reinaldo-adds-grist-to-the-miller/2008/07/31/1217097434331.html

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hey Wezza- this shold keep you happy! ;)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/socceroos-make-queensland-home-135333/

6. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Haha, yeah heard about that! Sweet. :) It was just on the news on tv as i was reading this thread as well.

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24357404-5006068,00.html

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://news.smh.com.au/sport/socceroos-wc-qualifiers-on-east-coast-20081013-4zez.html

9. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    It's disappointing that Sydney gets two games again, primarily because the pitch they produced against China earlier this year was an absolute joke and didn't help our style at all (let alone Aust's reputation). Playing a game in the middle of June (middle of League season too) at ANZ will be like playing on a potato field.
    I was kind of hoping for another game in Brissie where the fields seem to be of higher quality.

10. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    If the way that Brisbane field drained after so much rain last night isn't a good enough reason to give Brisbane 2 games over Sydneys 1 with the ANZ Stadium patchwork quilt of a field, then i don't know what is.

Great job to the Brisbane curators.

11. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah the pitch drainage is amazing at Suncorp. I had a feeling it would be okay for the match last night after the same thing happened before Queensland v Sydney match last season.

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  13. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Good decision to give another major centre a game.
    They have had the biggest W-League crowds and look like maybe getting a team in the A-League in 2011, so this will be interesting to see how Canberra people respond.

14. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Possible friendly in May? : Australia vs. Iraq

Iraq's proposed 3 week camp in Sydney during May as their preparations for the Confed Cup in South Africa. . . . . leads to thinking about a possible lead-up match in Sydney with the A-leaguers [or maybe Olyroo squad], before (hopefully) a few of them head off to Qatar in early June. But the timing doesn't seem to match with getting the European-based players involved.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/foo...632734613.html

15. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Re: Possible friendly in May? : Australia vs. Iraq

That would be a great game for our A-League Socceroos (Asian Cup Qualifying team), if they are not into their off-season.
    I'm guessing the two A-League Clubs representing Aust in the Asian Club Championship wouldn't mind a hit out either.

16. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Bloody oath. That would be fantastic stuff for our A-League international squad.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  18. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

That is true! ;)

20. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I hope Iraq kicks arse at the confederations cup but their form worries me. Unless they are playing a team they want to beat their form drops away. This can't happen in tournaments. They can play, it's time to get their shit together and do the business, not just when there's a moral victory on the cards.

21. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Ireland - Australia , August 12

The Republic of Ireland will face Australia at Limerick’s Thomond Park later this year, the FAI has confirmed.

The Association had revealed plans to stage two international fixtures over the next 12 months at the venue, which was recently redeveloped to encompass an all-seated, 26,000 capacity.

And Australia will be the visitors for the first ever international soccer match to take place at Thomond Park on Wednesday evening, August 12th.

The Socceroos, managed by Dutchman Pim Verbeek, are ranked 27th by Fifa – two places above Ireland – and are likely to include several well-known stars including Everton’s Tim Cahill, former Liverpool winger Harry Kewell and Scott McDonald of Celtic.

Welcoming the announcement, FAI chief executive John Delaney said: “I am very happy to have reached this agreement with Thomond Park Stadium. I thank the stadium’s management and board for their foresight in opening up Thomond Park to other sports which will enable us to bring senior international football to Limerick for the first time. Thomond Park is a great sporting venue and we look forward to an exciting game against Australia in August.”

Thomond Park stadium director John Cantwell added: “On behalf of Thomond Park Stadium and Munster Rugby, I am delighted to be in a position to announce the first major football fixture in Thomond Park.

“We are very pleased that the FAI has agreed to bring international football to Thomond Park and Limerick. It has always been our objective in the redevelopment of the stadium to work with leading sports bodies to attract major sports events to the city.

“It is a great boost for Limerick and the many football and sports fans throughout the region who now have opportunity to watch international football on their doorstep. We are looking forward to working with the FAI to stage this memorable event.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=35988

22. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Re: Ireland - Australia , August 12

I'm not sure i see the point of this game for Aust, unless there is some good cash involved. We haven't got any qualifiers to warm up for. Why wasn't a game like this put on before one of our recent qualifiers?

Even for Ireland, it's only a warm up for a game before they play Cypress.

23. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

It's a nice little hit out against our mates the Irish at their new stadium, what are you whingeing about?

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  25. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Regardless of what important fixtures aren't coming up, isn't it always good to stay in form with good opposition? I don't know about you, mate, but I wouldn't have anything to say about Australia facing anyone near us in quality in a friendly, considering we don't really have a packed year of international matches to fine-tune our squad for next year.