Australia to host World Cup 2018 or 2022?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Darral, Jul 13, 2006.

1. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    great post.

I love fozzie's articles and opinions, but as you said, he simply doesn't give enough (if any) credit to sports which are in all fairness part of Australian culture and history. I personally only had the occassional fleeting interest in football till that wonderful day in november 2005, and i love the game even more now than 5 years ago. During that time iv'e managed to convert many of my friends to the world game, ranging from a country town bloke ( hardcore rugby league supporter) to guys that played union at private school. football is a bug, it can't be a coincidence once you start truly watching, you can't look away. Brushing off the other footy codes as a waste of time isn't going to help our cause, we need to respect them and their place in the sporting landscape for mainstream sports fans to respect, and hopefully therefore follow football.

sorry if this is slighty off topic...

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hinds on Qatar: ;)

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/2010-th...r-got-sports-fans-singing-20101214-18wvg.html

3. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Richard Hinds is one of those 'new-breed' of Aussie journo's like dan Silkstone that have successfully managed to branch out from their number one sport by catching the football bug and are able to write intelligently (or in this case humourously) about the world game without coming off like a complete tosser. Now if only Bec Wilson would hurry up and die the sports world would be a happy place again:)
    seriously:
    Has anyone ever in there history of existence read a R. Wilson article on ANY sport that has been positive at all? No wonder football fans hate her, when she turns her spiteful pen against the very sport of the world, a sport that has laboured under some terrible journalistic opinion piece attacks, she deserves every piece of hate mail she receives! I just wish she'd hurry up & draw then publish a cartoon of the prophet mohammed!

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yawns- so we spent some money- and?.........

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/revealed-the-public-cost-of-failed-cup-bid-20110126-1a5fr.html

5. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mate get with the program, its the day after some good news for football in Australia, the newspapers HAVE to do this so they can feel Australian again after giving so many column inches to the wogs game!
    Never mind that in 2010, the Federal govt increased the ongoing grants to both the AFL and the NRL from A$700m to A$750m per annum**..A$50m is still more than the A444m spent on the World Cup bid..typical Aussie sokkah bashing media, no out right accusations, just smearing away do drag the sport down:(

**IIRC FFA's grant went from A$300m to A$350m p.a., but I stand ready to be corrected:)

6. xenaphobia

xenaphobia New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/footbal...pent-despite-cost-warning-20110128-1a8ew.html

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who would've guessed? :rolleyes:

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/art...nts-to-scrap-expensive-air-conditioning-plan/

8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd love to agree with you but for such a small country supporting God knows how many sports globally what did you expect? Of course they're going to cater to the bigger sports. It's up to people like you and me and Osieck and players to alter that. Once that happens the dollars will come flying from every direction.

10. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How are things going in Melbourne, Mike?

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing well, will probably be here another 18 months. :)

12. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I hope FIFA, for the love of humanity, moves World Cup 2022 to another country. The fact that Qatar was awarded to host it in the first place still boggles my mind!

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    They were awarded it because they got the most votes. How boggling can than be?

14. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The fact that they got the most votes is the very thing that is mind boggling. Getting votes is the process, which I understand. The rationale behind the votes is what is mind boggling. Are you keeping up?
    Didnt think I had to S P E L L it out for you, but I suppose your attention span and intelligence is very limited.

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    They had a bid book like everyone else. Did you read them all?

16. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No I did not. General common sense says that world cup shouldnt be held in a country like Qatar where the hot humid summer prevents teams from playing competetive football, and as another member pointed out Qatar does not have the infrastructure or technology to cope with that problem. Try to keep up.

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No one outside FIFA read the bid books because they were never released. I can claim to have read more of the technical reports than some FIFA exco members admitted to doing. You are correct that Qatar finished on top on the only criteria that counted, although my own analysis of the technical reports suggest that was the only catergory they were top in.

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    What am I trying to keep up with. All I asked you was if you read the book. You said no, so i'm not surprised why yo usiad you were still boggled by it all.

Keep up lad. I asked a simple question. I need not hear the drivel of a response.

19. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Still barking? Let it go old man. Qatar is the worst place to host such an important world event, and I dont have to spend all my time (Im sure you all the time in the world behind a monitor but I dont) reading bidding books to form an opinion.
    Glad there are talks of moving it to another country.

20. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Lowy: Hey Now, Hey Now, Don't Dream It's Over

Hinds: Just Let It Go, Frank, Let It Go

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Of course they say, "NO!" ;)

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/18988387/australia-wont-be-compensated-fifa/

23. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think Lowy should put on his big boy pants and move on.

Australia were last, as in they would not have got it even if Qatar weren't in the running.
    Everyone's just been waiting ever since the bid for any reason to cry more about it.

In the context of FIFA nations, Australia is considered a smaller country. They won't get anywhere whining.

And europe should get over it and deal with a mid-season break.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Henry Winter:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...ved-to-australia/story-fndkzvnd-1226859002038

Cloudkicker09 and djpower repped this.