Austin,Texas

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by G Enriquez, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    Unless they have been getting sponsorships lined up for the past year. Which isn't a crazy thought.

Here's a tweet from a sports writer out of New York that doesn't have a dog in the fight from a month ago.

2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I read that fine little unsourced piece. I could spend a few minutes picking it apart (which plenty of others did when it was published), but you folks don't ever seem to care to look into things in depth and really understand realities vs rumor.

And of course I would expect that they have been working at lining up sponsors for last year - if they haven't this whole process was a complete farce. But the thing is, neither Greeley or Loughne has proven to be very good at that task - in their entire careers. And the bogey they need to hit is huge. Is it possible? - absolutely. I'm a conservative betting man and I'll bet they haven't hit it yet.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They still need a design and blueprints plus a general contractor. The listing on Dodge (PSV soliciting a contractor for a soccer stadium in Austin or Columbus) has been taken down. It had Gensler as the project manager. Maybe it is because they've hired the architect and contractor. Or maybe they're back at square 1.

Signing the lease with the city gets them a site. Once they have plans for the stadium, those will have to be approved by the city as complying with code. Then, assuming they have a contractor acceptable to their financiers, they can start site prep. But they may have to wait for an army corps of engineers permit before starting. I'd be surprised if they start construction in the first half of 2019.

4. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #954 MjrGrubert, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    I think one component of this people from afar are missing is the demand side of the equation. There are a ton of hungry cash rich companies in the area looking for branding opportunities to appeal to this soccer fan demographic here and nationally. First pro team etc. The PSV guys basically have to be order takers which doesn't require much in the way of competence. Just some fill in the blank forms with MLS keeping watch.
    I'm betting they eventually attain top 5 level. Part of the reason is that it is the latest deal on the rising sponsorship price elevator.

ScootiePippin, unlikelyfan19 and Jay34 repped this.
  5. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    1. "They won't get the Austin public on-board." They did.
    2. "They won't get Council on-board." They did.
    3. "They won't get public land." They did
    4. "They won't get financing." It's lined up.
    5. "They won't get sponsorships." It's reported that they have.
    6. "They'll get sued. It's a land-debt issue and council will most like just contribute money towards it and will be settled in a week.
    Y'alls biggest fear is the fact that PSV may actually be successful. So every little piece of news that says otherwise is a "leaked lie trying to damage control". Every person positive on social is being "paid by PSV". My suggestion would be to relax, go support your team and enjoy your new stadium. You spend more time in a thread about Austin in regards to a team you have no association with anymore, just trying to virtue signal and spread worry to a community you know nothing about.

antnee7898, ScootiePippin and Jay34 repped this.
  6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seriously not discounting the potential for sponsorship $ in Austin. Only competition for that money is from UT. The whole first professional sports team in the city is likely what gave Precourt a hard on for the market. Couple that with the ridiculously large deal FCC got for their jersey from a local hospital system and again anything is possible. Found it quite interesting though that UT's MD Anderson decided to be jersey sponsor for Houston Dynamo (I know they are largely Houston based - but).

And let's get one thing straight, I'm not rooting for/betting on failure of pro soccer on Austin. I'm rooting for and betting on PSV failing at pro soccer in Austin. My wager has little to do with Austin as a potentially successful market. It has everything to do with history and performance of those currently involved in trying to make it happen. I've said from beginning of this mess that Austinites would be better served and likely more successful in long run, trying to build from ground up and getting local owners to bring them into MLS. You're riding a train that is likely to derail.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  7. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    Again. This is your desire. At no point is there any evidence that this is the case over the last year on the Austin side of things. PSV has gotten farther down the professional sports road than ANY before them, and the community is onboard. To reiterate, hardly anyone had a problem with Precourt on October 15th last year. Don't let your hearts desires cloud your judgment.

antnee7898, wingman2468 and Jay34 repped this.
  8. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MDACC has no presence in Austin, so this isn't really surprising. Yes, UT's largest campus is in Austin. And yes, MDACC is affiliated with UT, but UT Houston.

9. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Groundhog Day! ;)
    Another wronged Crew fan imparting his opinion that PSV is incompetent!
    Thanks for the insight.

antnee7898 and unlikelyfan19 repped this.
  10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. This is public forum? - yes
    2. This is place people congregate to discuss soccer? - yes
    3. Opinions are bantered here and have been for years - long before ATX even had minor league soccer. - Yes
    4. I have posted here long before MLS2ATX was a thing. Yes
    5. I will continue to chime in on forums where I have an opinion/interest. Yes
    6. Some poster who has only been on here a few months is going to tell me what threads to read, where I should comment, or how I should spend my time. HELL NO!

Draghignazzo repped this.
  11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See that little part at end about me recognizing being Houston based. I just find a very small piece of irony in the UT connection. I also can't for the life of me figure out why some hospital systems are dropping major coin on MLS team jerseys. I know MD Anderson is world renowned and doing amazing things for cancer research and cures and they have affiliate locations all around the country - I think we even have a network location in Columbus. But the prices they are paying make it real hard for me to accept that they could be better spending that money on actual research or better yet helping cut medical costs for us all.

jaykoz3 and MjrGrubert repped this.
  12. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    What are you even talking about? I'm serious, what is this point of this? Post on BigSoccer all you want? My point is, anti-PSV rhetoric has all been shutdown again and again over the past year. What an odd reply.

antnee7898 and Jay34 repped this.
  13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This is actually a moderated forum where moderators can restrict your access if you are viewed as trolling. Just want to clarify that point.

14. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #964 MjrGrubert, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    How adorable!*

*copyright-Timon19 (banned from forum 12/4/18) :rolleyes:

15. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio Health pays MDACC to say they are affiliated, whatever that practically means. I assume that money goes, either directly or indirectly, to their research fund.

16. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know how thing work here. There is distinct differences between trolling and expressing opinions and/or debating. Some mods get that, others don't. Most just simply ensure a small level of civility and respect and certainly squash any abusive attacks or language.

Lichte for Life repped this.
  17. ScootiePippin

ScootiePippin Red Card

Liverpool
    United States
    Dec 5, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't think sponsorship deals in Austin will be hard to come by. You can't throw a rock more than 40 feet without getting a few million in VC funding. If the two companies that are in the running to be the sponsors, the deals will be worth a good amount of money. Even Tito was talking about being a sponsor when I last talked to them.

18. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Genuinely curious why you find this ironic.

The University of Texas System has medical schools/research institutions in both Dallas (University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center) and Houston (University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center) dating back to the 40's, and those institutions serve those communities. I wouldn't really associate them with UT-Austin, although obviously all of these institutions are all part of the same system. I don't find it odd that MD Anderson would sponsor Houston rather than Austin, not at all...

..but yeah, agreed.

19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not ironic re: Houston at all - makes sense. Just that UT is in the name. You know since the main campus in Austin and all.

20. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Although Gensler was the Architecture firm hired, another firm, CAA Icon has been apart of the design team from the beginning.

CAA Icon's website lists the scheduled completion, cost and includes the assigned project members. They will be handling the project management.

Here is the link: https://t.co/OOROad1SlK

21. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are these images that went around are the actual renderings of the stadium? This is what it will look like? DlP0vNxU4AAxN9N.jpeg DlP0vN4UUAAwkd9.jpeg

22. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    In theory, yes, but these renderings were released in May and the term sheet mentions the city having input into the design. I'd imagine the city was not consulted regarding the design presented above, given the timeline of events.

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Maybe but not necessarily. Those are basically aspirational, to build support and help the public and elected officials visualize what they'd be getting.

For instance the new stadium is supposed to double as a concert venue. Most MLS stadia that host concerts have a stage at one end but it's not shown in these drawings.

Jay34 repped this.
  24. AustinSoccerBro

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2018
    So, this catfish guy doesn’t understand how University systems work or anything at all about Austin? Greatly appreciate his valuable contributions.

25. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    The design has been worked on for months. changes have been made, site plans produced, project managers chosen, structural, mechanical, civil, electrical, and acoustical engineers contracted. The programming (step-by-step construction planning) has already begun. I can say with 95% certainty that what you see in the picture will be what is produced. They have 2 years.
    Older stadiums have stages. Its an outdated form of stadium architecture. Banc of California has removable stands for their stage, in the same position as the layout of Mckalla place. As well, Allianz field will have similar, removable stands for concert venue transformation.

unlikelyfan19, Jay34 and MjrGrubert repped this.