Austin,Texas

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by G Enriquez, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is probably true. The moment the sponsor cuts the check, why wouldn't they be all over promoting the relationship? This is what they're paying for. Unless, of course...

stanger repped this.
  2. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when is MLS going to update their website? I can't find Austin anywhere. How confident are they, really?
    upload_2018-10-16_11-11-5.png

stanger and LainfordExpress repped this.
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  4. soccergate

soccergate New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    The upcoming November 6 General Election can bring about which types of consequences, ramifications, side effects, or outcomes for Austin 2 MLS?

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It's not entirely clear. In theory, the current council has done everything needed for the city and PSV to enter into a lease at McKalla.

But the stadium plans haven't been approved, there isn't a known parking and traffic plan, there's a possibility of further environmental damage being found, etc. So PSV will be interacting with city government quite a bit during the construction phase. A new council could make life difficult for PSV. Also there is a petition circulating for an anti-stadium ordinance to be approved by the voters next May. If that passes, it will definitely cause problems for PSV. There have also been threats of lawsuits from rival developers and Bill Aleshire, a local attorney.

6. soccergate

soccergate New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    What if Adler was to lose the re-election for mayor ?

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From The Statesman
    Circuit of the Americas announces support for petition bid to sink MLS stadium
    By Philip Jankowski
    Posted Oct 26, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    Updated Oct 26, 2018 at 7:30 PM

The Circuit of the Americas officially announced Friday its intentions to support an effort to torpedo a deal between the city of Austin and Major League Soccer franchise owner Anthony Precourt to build a soccer stadium in North Austin.

An investor in the racetrack had already made a donation to the political action committee IndyAustin to support the group's effort to force an election on the stadium deal, according to the PAC's latest campaign finance report.

But Friday's announcement made it official...

...The organization was one of the driving forces behind the petition that put Proposition J on the ballot. That item was aimed at the now-defunct CodeNext land use code rewrite. It calls for future elections to be held on any comprehensive updates to Austin’s land use and zoning codes...

...The track's chairman, Bobby Epstein, has said that having a MLS team in Austin would be a serious blow to the success of the United Soccer League franchise Austin Bold FC that will begin playing at the track in March.

8. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I don't understand and maybe some Austin people can help me.

AP is a universally hated, out of state, horribly incompetent "operator" (He doesn't own anything anymore!!). He has shown a complete inability to do anything successfully.

Epstein is a successful, local businessman that has a team that will be playing, in greater Austin, in the fall. His events at COTA are world-class. He has political connections and could garner support from the local business community much more easily than the carpetbagger from Cali.

Yet Epstein is vilified and Precourt is supported by local soccer people (at least the ones I see posting in online forums.)

Why?

10. LainfordExpress

Columbus Crew SC; Los Angeles FC; Heart of Midlothian FC, Arsenal FC
    United States
    Jul 1, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stanger is the hero we deserve.

11. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Precourt = MLS
    Epstein = USL

Does there need to be anything more than that?

12. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add:
    Precourt = MLS in a new killer stadium and hopefully likely to sell out to a local like Dell once he gets his ducks in row. Realize he is suboptimal.
    Epstein = USL and a rich crybaby who takes hundreds of millions in state subsidies and tries to sink the MLS team (which is costing a small fraction of subsidies he is getting yearly) bc his USL investment may get impacted. Plus the name sucks and they will play in a tinker toy stadium far away. He could of applied for an MLS expansion slot but he didn't so he should STFU. Yes F1 is a pretty cool event but his investors are taking a bath on it, supposedly.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If Dell were interested in MLS, Austin would already have a team. You may be stuck with Precourt for a long time. Or not long at all if he can't get the stadium with little parking built.

I don't know what Epstein's politics are but I'm surprised Austin is rolling out the red carpet for a big Trump supporter like Precourt.

TyphonInc and Draghignazzo repped this.
  14. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    As a current Cincinnatian, former Tampa resident, and Mutiny fan, I would like to pick up on the USL notion.

In the 2014/2015 time frame, when FC Cincinnati was founded, MLS was pushing for expansion candidates to start a USL team to "get a feel for" owning a soccer team. I actually think just maybe it was a bit of a ploy as MLS had more or less turned the corner from the early days of the league, when money was tight. That era saw the Mutiny and Miami teams folded, and San Jose moved. Along came MLS 2.0, Beckham, getting rid of Chivas, etc. Many here can fill you in on the history.

Cincinnati joined USL because that's what MLS wanted. I remember talking to Jeff Berding, the FC Cincinnati GM, and John Harkes, the original coach, at Listermann's, one of Cincinnati's breweries just after the team was announced. It was like their first public event. Then, they had a 5-year plan to join MLS. They start in MLS next year. There is a great deal of excitement about them.

Anyhow, I wouldn't take Epstein to task for the USL club. It's what MLS wanted for places like Cincinnati, Sacramento, other places that they wanted to guage the commitment of ownership groups. Today, MLS is much different than it was 5 years ago.

I think your view on Precourt is wishful thinking. The one thing that emerged in Columbus was his unwillingness to sell the team. He envisions himself a major league sports owner. You are going to be stuck with him for a long while.

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What killer new stadium? The crappy drawings?

That is so far from reality.

Have fun trusting a carpetbagging trust fund baby from Cali.

16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What killer new stadium? The crappy drawings?

That is so far from reality.

Have fun trusting a carpetbagging trust fund baby from Cali.

17. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post.
    No doubt Epstein was blindsided by an MLS team showing up out of the blue probably after his expansion fee check was cashed and most people are fine with him and a USL team in the market at this time. Its just the blatant hypocrisy that grates on the subsidies and cant help in drawing fans to his enterprise.

No doubt Precourt may try to hang on in control and that would pretty much suck if so. Its also possible he runs in to big cost overruns and gets squeezed out or a Dell or a Cuban money whip him.

18. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. You just wanted another opportunity to vent once again and weren't looking for an answer to your question.

19. soccergate

soccergate New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    In the meantime.....November 6th gets closer and closer.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you gave me wasn’t an answer.

“Killer new stadium” is a pipe dream.

MLS over USL is understandable, although only viable with an actual businessman with $$ behind it, Precourt isn’t either of those.

You just bought AP’s like of crap and discarded an actual local for no real apparent reason.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pool said Austin has not seen or heard from Precourt since October 12th.

Get used to that, Austin. I am sure he has been busy running his other company, right? Nope. He does not have one. His other team? Nope, he does not have one.

We will see what happens on the 6th. This thing is not over the finish line yet, though it is close.

Ditto #SavedtheCrew, but there are less pitfalls there.

Minnman repped this.
  22. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They must have run out of queso.

TyphonInc repped this.
  23. soccergate

soccergate New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    Let me see if I have it right?

Come November 6th, in Austin TX:

A) If Steve Adler gets re-elected as mayor =equals= He will later sign the McKalla stadium agreement to make it final =equals= MLS will come to Austin very soon

or

B) If Leslie Pool wins the election as new mayor =equals= She will later kill the McKalla stadium agreement =equals= MLS is not coming to Austin for now

24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When did Leslie Pool announce her candidacy?

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No, Pool isn't running for Mayor. Adler is likely to be re-elected since he faces 6 opponents. In theory, the council has done everything required for the city to enter into a lease agreement for the McKalla site. The lease needs to be completed by a date in the first half of December.