Austin,Texas

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by G Enriquez, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, uh, no.

You gave away the house to sniff the car and the sleaze ball that said it was his.

Can’t wait until you all see it was a yugo with a new paint job.

2. LainfordExpress

Columbus Crew SC; Los Angeles FC; Heart of Midlothian FC, Arsenal FC
    United States
    Jul 1, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever mental gymnastics it takes to not feel like the $10 whore to Precourt’s John.

TyphonInc repped this.
  3. Corsis

Corsis New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    New City, NY
    Being serious here. What do you really expect of Austin. Its not everyday you get an opportunity to land an MLS team. Naturally, there are big soccer fans in Austin who are excited to have the chance to go to live matches.

Do you think fans are happy to have a team relocate as opposed to getting a new team? Of course not, but we dont chose these things. Our choice is no MLS team for a very long foreseeable future or accept the team being offered.

Switch roles for a second and really think.

The facts remain, your ownership agreed to sell their franchise with the possibility of the team being relocated. All parties agreed to it.

Be pissed at Precourt, Be pissed at MLS. Nobody in Austin snuck into Columbus and hijacked your team under the cover of darkness, your ownership came to Austin.

ScootiePippin repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    When?

This would be the news of the week. Surely you have a link? Or are you just that ********ing sloppy with the English language?

TyphonInc repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No, Columbus did not. J. Anthony Precourt did.

Not so sure you should be commenting on analogies here.

TyphonInc repped this.
  6. Redpawn

Redpawn New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    McAllen, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.statesman.com/news/loca...ND&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=austin360

Austin City Council approves deal for an MLS
    stadium

2:05 p.m. update: Austin appears to have landed a Major League Soccer team after the Austin City Council approved the McKalla Place deal Wednesday for a soccer stadium in North Austin.

The stadium deal paves the way for Columbus Crew SC owner Anthony Precourt to begin financing an estimated $200 million stadium at the 24-acre tract of city-owned land near The Domain. Precourt aims to have the team playing in the Austin area next year.

7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #BreakingNews

ElJefe and LainfordExpress repped this.
  8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Modell law might well be unconstitutional if it applied to all sports team owners. But it doesn't, it only applies to those who accepted public support. HSG/PSV could have paid market rates of rent and taxes on the stadium and not had to worry about the law. But they didn't.

It's not clear even today if MLS/PSV has given notice of the proposed move even yet. There is a dispute about who owns the team and there has been a lot of parallel paths stuff up until yesterday. The plaintiffs in Ohio are seeking to get the judge to rule that the "opportunity to buy" means a reasonable offer must be accepted. That's not a stretch and if the judge so rules, then PSV won't have a team to deliver to Austin. Maybe MLS grants them an expansion team, maybe not.

I agree there won't be an empty stadium at McKalla because construction won't begin until all the contingencies have been worked out. The Modell case is a pretty big one and that won't even go to trial until next year. It's also possible there are suits or a referendum in Austin.

TyphonInc repped this.
  9. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    The contingencies can be worked out pretty quickly. MLS can commit to put a team in McKalla when it is completed.

The only issue today is what happens to the Crew. As long as the lawsuit is ongoing, they need to play most of their home games in Columbus. They could potentially split time between Austin and Columbus.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    MLS could get out from under the Modell suit pretty quickly (ie before discovery starts) if they want to but so far there are no signs of that. But Whitfield/Chen/Capella/Epstein still have a good case in Austin that an RFP should have been used to dispose of McKalla instead of leasing it to PSV for decades.

TyphonInc repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now........The Crew don't have a place to play in Austin next season..........

It should also be noted that yes, Precourt is likely bringing a team to Austin, it's just not going to be the current winning team. It's highly likely Triple G leaves after the season to take a role with US Soccer, if not the USMNT job as has been rumored. If not that, he'll likely leave for a another job. That happens and a lot of players will leave or ask to leave. Trapp and Meram in particular will likely lobby to move to FCC. Trapp my opt to move to Europe.

Triple G runs the entire Soccer Operation too, so that's a huge void that likely needs to be filled.

TyphonInc repped this.
  12. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Return of the Aztex... Adrian Heath at House Park.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  13. ScootiePippin

ScootiePippin Red Card

Liverpool
    United States
    Dec 5, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Surely you don't believe that. That would be like believing they don't have a team name, logo, and colors already picked out.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where, exactly, will they be playing NEXT season??? They couldn't tell the ACC this, so how do you know?

TyphonInc repped this.
  15. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    If they are worth their salt they already have logos, kit designs, partnerships, sponsors and possibly even a venue lined up. But there is nothing for them to gain by disclosing any of that information. They theoretically have 6 months until they potentially kick off in Austin. I'm in no way connected, but I can guarantee they have 90% of that buttoned up.

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You vastly overestimate Precourt.

17. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    And I think some are still choosing to ignore the progress PSV and MLS have made.

18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another sock that has two posts, both in favor of Austin. Why am I not surprised?

It’s probably AP himself, seeing as how he can’t go on Twitter anymore.

TyphonInc repped this.
  19. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    When will it be ok for pro Austin people to comment on the matter? It wasn't allowed during the announcement in October, nor after the first city council vote, nor the second, now the third when our city Council agreed to bring MLS to Austin. If you want to complain about it, you have a 25,000 post thread over in the crew section where you can say what you want. Let's at least try to keep ONE thread on this site for people who actually want to discuss the possibility of this move without being labeled as shills, etc.

whereiend and DonJuego repped this.
  20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If they were actually ready to go, they would have used that as a selling point to the Austin city council. Here are the Austinites who have pledged to buy tickets, here are our local business partners, here's where we'll play for 2 years, etc.

TyphonInc and Draghignazzo repped this.
  21. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    I would imagine contracts already established in Austin would have odd consequences to the lawsuit in Ohio.

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, with your inside knowledge, are you saying there are no contracts or that they simply haven’t been announced?

I’ll send your answer onMike DeWine’s office when I am there on Tuesday.

TyphonInc repped this.
  23. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    I have no idea what they have. just saying that could be why they deflect those sort of questions.

24. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, given PSV’s complete lack of a history of being anything but competent, your uninformed guess is that he has a bunch of sponsorship deals, temporary facility and other things needed to run a team all ready to go. No leaks, no whispers of sponsors, nothing. Hell, AP hasn’t even been in Austin all that much.

You think that all sounds plausible?

TyphonInc and POdinCowtown repped this.
  25. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    Sure? I don't see why not. And I could also be completely wrong. I guess I just don't see why anyone else couldn't think it's even plausible.