Austin Supporters will love this

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by eclipse02, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Horns

Horns New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Tampa
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the love

2. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 U.S. cities have hosted the World Cup, thanks for asking. Congratulations on having a giant American football stadium in your town.

So with the amazing star power and glamor of being a World Cup Host, why did the Orlando Lions, those giants of American soccer, fold two years later? Dragged down by the weight of too much history, I suppose.

Anyway, whatever, dude. It's not like soccer history is magical fairy dust anyway. Look at St. Louis, who actually did have some cred in that department (though of course not as a World Cup Host). They also had a famous soccer name coaching them (crappy, but famous; and I guess OCSC has some fame in that category, too), plus they played a division higher and had Steve Ralston around (for a while, anyway). That organization was also famously shooting for MLS. Maybe it was all Cooper's ineptitude, but those folks averaged less than 3k in their one and only season.

Look. Getting a lot of fans to soccer games in this country ain't easy. Ask literally every single soccer club over the last 30 years, with the possible exception of the new MLS teams in the Pacific Northwest. So when the exact same team, with more or less the same owner, pops up across the country in a way that should arguably get them less fans (lower division play, brand new team, etc.) and instead they get instant, amazing numbers, expect some skepticism.

3. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect nothing but the worst from everyone, so that's not a problem.

4. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Do you like kicking people when they are down, too? If not, why are you posting these messages in our forum?

You've got our soccer team. Congratulations. Do you really need to kick sand in our face, too?

5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Had Phil lifted a finger to say even one word before leaving to those of us (except for Matt) who put in a lot of time and effort to help the cause, things would be different. But he didn't and they aren't. While I still have a lot of affection for the players and the coach, I will rejoice if that franchise fails.

Petty? Sure. But don't be such a coward if you don't want pettiness directed at you.

6. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify, he didn't tell me anything before the Monday announcement. I also know that he didn't tell most of the staff until the Tuesday before. 6 days before the announcement. He kept EVERYONE in the dark. That's one of the things that hacked so many folks off.

7. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a note to Orlando Health and any other companies that want to put their money behind OC: that "EVERYONE" included sponsors, as well.

I heard from a reliable source that the marketing director of one of the Aztex's biggest (possibly *the* biggest) only heard about the move through the press, like the rest of us. He was livid, to say the least. I don't know what kinds of contractual deals may or may not have been in place, but if nothing else, that's just totally crappy.

8. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that AMD???

PS: I ran into Joey Worthen on the Great Lawn at Zilker a few weeks ago. He's been working on getting coaching licenses.

9. JustinR1015

JustinR1015 Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would personally love to see EA and the Austin soccer community try and keep track of the former players that provided us a couple seasons of soccer here in Austin.

10. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am missing live footy:(

11. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I hate it for you. It's too bad Lance is in deep dung now 'cuz he might've been able to build an impressive ownership group to resurrect pro soccer in the Hill Country. Who are other notable Austin residents (current or former) who could be called upon?

12. Rangerus

Rangerus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Falls City TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is lot's of wealth in Austin, most investment wealth in Austin (roughly $122.3 million in 2010) is in Renewable Energy, Data Services, Creative Media, Software Development, Healthcare and Biotechnology.

The New York Times Business Blog says "Austin is a hotbed for small business relocation. Interesting factors such as 'urban economics' are cited in addition to the traditional ones, such as a strong business climate, skilled work force, and high quality of life." – You’re the Boss.

Austin Technology Incubator (ATI) alum GameSalad, raised $6.1 million in its second round of funding from Steamboat Ventures (Disney’s investment arm); Greycroft Partners; DFJ Mercury; DFJ Frontier and ff Asset Management.

The United States Grand Prix will be held at Austin's new "Circuit of the Americas" track in mid-2012. The world-class facility will host Formula One racing as well as MotoGP motorcycle racing, with a projected economic impact of over $400 million a year for the Austin area.

The Austin Metropolitan area ranks 35th in the US. Ahead of nearly all NASL/USL teams (the exception being Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh)

The Austin Metro is comparable to San Antonio (NASL expansion team in 2012) and MLS Kansas City, San Jose and Columbus. And out paces all of those areas in population growth by 15 to 25%.

What does all this mean for Soccer in Austin? Austin is obviously an up and coming, viable and fertile soccer market. Where growth occurs in both population and economic stature, so does the desire for soccer. Austin is that exciting and dynamic place where big things are going to happen and a soccer team with a soccer specific stadium is one of those things.

As a the "Voice of Austin Soccer" we must continue to express our interest and our passion for seeing soccer in Austin. Write your chamber of commerce, email the city council, call local business people. Do it and do it often. We can make this happen!

Austin Energy 2012!
    [​IMG]

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    explanation?

14. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh...he's in the deep shit, otherwise known as serious trouble.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry, should have highlighted Lance as well. I'm not following Armstrong's career. Are there more allegations about doping?

Edit: what's this about me and language clarifications on this thread?:rolleyes:

16. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. 60 minutes did a piece last week. Tyler Hamilton said he testified that he did PED's with Lance when he was his teammate.

He's lied and cheated and changed his story like Floyd Landis did so it might not have been a deal breaker.

But 60 minutes also reported that long time Lance best bud George Hincappie also testified to the grand jury that they did the dope and got each other the dope. George is considered a boy scout in the sport.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States