Austin Aztex

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by WizardOfTheDribble, Jan 21, 2008.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the group!

Good questions. I think this calls for a Coach/Players speculation thread.

Regarding SA/Tulsa/Edmond, see the thread on Edmond for discussion on that topic.

Regarding what we can do... Big question, requiring a longer answer, which I'll see to at lunch:)

2. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    I saw that Austin Aztex were hosting open tryouts. Has anyone seen any flyers for this at local soccer shops, bars, college campuses, indoor soccer arenas, ect.? And if so can we extend that to A&M, San Antonio, San Marcus, Denton, SMU....

I know that scouting soccer talent in the US can be more of a let the cream rise to the top philosophy. I would just like to see the Austin Aztex cast as big a net as possible if even for the U-23 squad. Texas is a country unto it self and IMHO can house 3 quality sides.

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aztex already had a get-together with some of the players from the last Austin PDL team. It wasn't announced on their website ahead of time, so they clearly have a way of letting potential players know about what they're doing.

There's a post on the Aztex website about it. And somewhere upthread, one of the players that was at the meeting had some comments about it.

I'm sure that with a couple of the current team staff having been involved with the previous Austin PDL team, they are aware of any good prospects in nearby (i.e., Laredo;)) PDL teams.

As far as housing 3 quality sides, that all depends on the money. There's always talent around at the PDL level, but finding the best of those, finding good foreign talent, and turning them into a quality side goes, well that's the challenge of the USL-1!

4. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be nice if we could take as many of the best San Antonio area players as possible just in case they do get a team. Get 'em under contract whether we play them or not. Know what I mean? :D

I wonder too if FC Dallas or Dynamo would be interested in loaning out some of their older youth players or even reserve players. Be much better experience than they would normally get.

5. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend forwarded this to me, and I thought some of you out-of-towners (and out-of-countryers ;)) might want to check it out. It's a travel piece on Austin, from The Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/feb/23/austin.usa/print

It focuses mostly on our 2 annual music festivals, especially the Austin City Limits Music Festival. But it does a decent job on giving a feel for the city, I think, especially the downtown/central/6th Street area. They complain a good bit about the heat, but I guess that's to be expected from Northerners (of any continent). :D

6. sokaymckay

sokaymckay New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just my 2 cents about the team name...

I am as excited as anyone about having good football to root for here in central Texas. Especially one that is associated with the English Champions League and possible Barclays Premier League. The stadium, the scarves, the tailgates and supporters groups. But who picked that name, Posh Spice??

Historically and culturally, Texas has always had very strong ties to the South and specifically the Southwest. However, most of us claim to be independent "Texans." I know the Lone Star theme has been done to death by sports teams, but why bring in a foreign term that refers exclusively to the people of Tenochtitlan, situated on an island in Lake Texcoco, Mexico?

I don’t get it.

I’m not trying to be political, social or religiously insensitive. This is not about that at all. It is about a representing fiercly proud state with a proud heritage. This is about being TC…Texas Correct.

A fan vote would reveal plenty of good names. And there have already been many good suggestiongs. How about the Mockingbirds? (state bird) or the Monarchs (referring to the state butterfly). Or even the Blue Topaz (state gem).

They could even be more Austin specific, like River City Rangers, or Austin Weirdo’s. ok I don’t like that one either. Austin was once referenced as The City of Violet Crowns In an O. Henry novel. Come On the Crowns!! Waterloo Records also has a nice round sound to it.

The fans should be singing and chanting Yellow Rose of Texas, Waltz Across Texas, All my Exes Live in Texas, and Deep in the Heart of Texas. Not Himno Nacional Mexicano.

I’m sure there’s more great ideas, just not Aztexs?? That is sad. AZ TEX, It’s like the abbreviation for Arizona Texas.

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

To be fair. They are using the Texas flag colors.

....and...really...not all of us tejanos sing those songs, even if they got good melodies.

8. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a state butterfly?

I thought they were using the Chivas colors.

But to be serious for a moment, I just think they didn't understand the population very well when they picked the name. It was a miss, but it's still better than Stampede or Lightning or Posse or any number of other names that have been presented to us before. So while I agree a more legit Texan (Tejanos, Coyotes, Tonkawas) name or Austin name (Violet Crown AC, Waterloo Soccer Club) would be nice, it's not, in my opinion the end of the world. Ultimately, the name will mean less than the reputation it represents, and it's up to us, at least in part, to make the club's name/reputation resonate with quality.

I mean when you think about it Arsenal FC is not an awesome name. It'd be like us calling our team {random building name} soccer club. But, the name is considered cool because it's an awesome team (and because it relates to guns).

How about Eberly's Gunners, referring to the Texas Archive War?

9. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, how about General Land Office Building F.C.?

10. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. sokaymckay

sokaymckay New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic! I had forgotten about this incident. Perhaps the support group could addopt this name! :)

12. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that idea very much!

[​IMG]

13. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoked for you guys to get into the league. Best two cities in the country with a club in the same football league. Should be great. feel free to stop by talktimbers.com anytime you wanna chat USL too. A little more going on there than here, of course Timbers centric, but we discuss the league we're in after all.

14. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Eberly Bros. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. explosionsinthesky

explosionsinthesky New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hello, I'm new to the bigsoccer site but have been anxiously awaiting the start of professional soccer in Austin. For the past couple of days I have been catching up on everything you guys have been chatting about ever since the Aztex thread got started, and now I feel it's time to drop a duece to tell you my perspective of it all. First of all I am not a pessimistic dude. I am just as exicted as anyone else to drink beer, watch soccer, and shout obsenaties(while being mindful towards others). I will still support the team because I like the game and the city. Remember these are only my opinions and I am not attacking anyone or anyone's ideas. I'm not that shallow. This is merely constructive critisism. No more; no less. So to begin...

ONE: "Team/ Name/ Logo/ Image"
    Aztex? Do I really have to tell you what I think about this name. No I don't, because I think sokaymckay already nailed it. https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14352127
    Please read.
    But don't let that discourage you. There are after all worse club names out there (ex. Earthquakes, Silverbacks, Wizards, Dynamo, Impact, Galaxy etc.), and the Aztex branding isn't the end of the world. At least it has ATX is in there sort of. I wonder if they knew that when they decided to name the club. Anywho, my philosophy on this matter is to be as original and true to the region of which the club represents. The Aztec empire is an important part of Mexican culture and to belittle them with a mashed up name like "Aztex" is a bit insulting. It's kind of like if a Mexican club named themselves "Yankees de Guadalajara." It doesnt make much sense and it would piss us Americans off. To add to it there has already been an aztecs team in US soccer "L.A. Aztecs"

The club should explore some of the ideas that have been presented here in the bigsoccer forum that i have seen. Some ideas discussed have been promising. Mabye, Austin FC, Waterloo FC, Violet Crown FC, River City Rangers. anything but aztex. None the less, I will have to suck a sour lemon and accept the name for what it is.

As for the crest. The first austin aztex crest for the start of the PDL team was hideous and cheap. I think everyone can agree on that. The new one looks more professional and pretty decent. It's definately growing on me, but I still know it could be better. The 'six flags' crest made by member 'austinFC' was pretty cool. mabye a bit much. but definately original as far as soccer crest go. Again, the new current crest is decent. I would just lose the little soccer ball at the top. I think it kind of cheapens it. oh and change the star from gold to white. like our flag.

TWO: supporters group name /songs
    Not really fond of the "Chanticos Army" name. Mabye because of the Aztec association. But as long as the club is named AZTEX, Chanticos army will do. My opinion is that it was a shame to pass on "Eberly's Gunners" as the name of the supporters group. And the reason for that is, "eberly's gunners" would have been Original and True to the Austin area. First of all, we already have a bad-ass statue of eberly and her cannon in the middle of downtown. This would be a solid symbol the club could adopt in honor of our region. An "Eberly's Gunners" Supporters group and the "Come and Take It" flag would perfectly compliment each other. I think these symbols of the Texas Revolution will hit home with people more so than an Aztec leader no one has heard of (Chantico). No offence to anyone.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    As for songs, I do believe we should be original and true. I agree with sokaymckay that we should be singing songs about Texas and not the Himno Nacional Mexicano. I think the only way to figure this one out is too keep the ideas coming and then test them out at games. Time will tell which songs we love the best. Needs to be organically grown if you catch my drift.. Besides being orginal and true, the chants should be intense and catchy. "Qu'est que vous Chantez!" sung by RC Lens is not only original but its pretty damn intense, and thats what we should strive for.

THREE: Stadium and ticket prices.
    The clubs stadium situation is getting better. Nelson Field is definately better then Dragon Stadium in Round Rock. Albeit, I will be a bit paranoid about my car being parked in the "triangle of death" but it really beats the drive out to round rock. But House Park best option for now. I like the view of downtown and the proximity to bars right down lamar. But that will have to wait until the 2010 season. One season at Nelson will be enough for me until the team can move into House Park. I like House Park and wouldnt mind being there until something better comes up. My dream would be a soccer specific stadium situated on the waterfront of Town Lake. Only a dream though.
    As it currently stands tickets will cost $22 and $18. I little high mabye, but not ridiculous. They really need to have tickets closer to $10 to fill up the seats. And cheap beer wouldn't hurt either.

So thats that. With the right attitude and support, hopefully this team turns out to be bigger than we could of ever imagined.

16. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bravo, bravo dude. Way to make an entrance.

#1 I have a come and take it flag.

#2 You whanna start Eberly's gunners go ahead, I'll be the first to join and on Feb.7 I need someone with a digital camera ta take a picture of my newly aquired scarf on her neck. :D

#3 here's my idea for a second supporters group name L.S.D (Lone.Star.Delinquints)

#4 you gonna join Chanticos as it stands and do you have any lads that would join up with ya?

17. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good comments, Explosion. I would encourage all of you who would like to participate in the forming of a Supporters Group to do so. Whether you form a new group, or participate with Chantico's Army, just get out and support your local club.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the group, explosions! Appreciate your comments. Looking forward to seeing you at games, etc., and around the boards!

19. Rangerus

Rangerus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Falls City TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome Explosions! we are glad to have you and look forward to your input. :)

20. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Screw you Explosions. We ARE the Aztex. Love it or leave it.

21. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nice enthusiasm frog, but telling fellow supporters to screw off won't change their minds about the name.

The response i get from people when i tell them about the new pro soccer team is positive. but most i have told think the name is corny.

I guess i'm just saying that I wouldnt tell them to ******** off for not liking the name.

I just dont want the club to be supported by a bunch a douches.

22. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I think the Aztex is a pretty cool name.. How about the Austin Lakers? lol

23. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    regardless of differences. im just glad we have a team and soccer fans like yall who support it, and Thanks to all who support the Aztex. honestly the name isnt that bad at all. sometimes i over-evaluate things too much, thats all.

you know how it goes.

But we are blessed have a great organization growing right here in Austin.

24. animategrayskies

Sep 22, 2006
    Austin
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello everyone! Haven't posted on these boards before, but since I've been lurking around for a while, I'd thought I'd introduce myself. Some call me Mike. And I gotta say I agree with AustinFC here, I'm thrilled to have a pro team here in Austin to support to future glories! My girlfriend and I have been Houston Dynamo supporters since 06, and still intend to be, but we also would like to get behind our hometown club without a doubt...with whatever name they have chosen to be called. It's going to be exciting to see this club grown!

With that, I have been thinking about when the (new) jerseys will be available here in town. Does someone have any insight, or know someone that does?

25. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello, animate! Looks like this is becoming the 'welcome' thread!

I haven't heard about replicas yet. As with everything else, I'm sure we'll be getting answers pretty soon.