Austin Aztex

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by WizardOfTheDribble, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    the pit would be nasty.

someone with aztec knowledge could come up with some vicious way in which they used pits.

also the music scene thing would be the (real) connection...

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Fado's is OK with me.

The reason I Mother Egans was because that was where I watched the last US game a couple weeks ago, with a half dozen other folks, and we were treated well.

Historically I've gravitated toward the Tavern because I've watched games there since '94. But they didn't have FSC. I've eschewed Fado's because... well, I guess I'll be honest -- it seemed too Eurosnob to me. But it sounds like I've been missing out on something, and need to get over my bias.

I'm open for whatever. I was planning on posting a new thread in this forum since we don't have one of our own yet letting folks where to go. I guess I'll make it an 'express your opinion' post.

3. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aztex alliance w/ Mexican Club

Rawlins stressed plans to forge an alliance with a professional club in Mexico, In a meeting with Austin area players on Monday.

*He said the U23 season and the Aztex First Division professional season may be played in separate stadiums to accomodate the specific needs of those teams

"We probably don’t want to put the U23 in a 20,000 seat stadium," he said

*Rawlins told the local players that the head coach in the U23 season will be the same Head Coach that will direct the First Division season in 2009.

http://www.austinaztex.com/home/223992.html

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Aztex alliance w/ Mexican Club

Well... IMHO, they don't want to put the USL-1 team in a 20,000 seat stadium either. But... as far as I know, the only 20,000 seat stadium in the areas is UT's.

There's some circumstances where I would be cool with UT. I still don't believe they can get it. And even if they could, I don't expect they'll draw enough to make it worth their while. If they had a choice between House and UT, I'd say House. But if they can't get House but can get UT, well, that would be far better than any suburban stadium, IMHO.

Regarding the Head Coach... I keep wondering if Marco Ferruzzi would like to come back to just north of his old stomping grounds (San Antonio). And I've been wondering if Jacob Thomas (currently with the Crew) would be interested in coming home to end off his career as a player.

Oh, and does anyone recognize the place where they met?

5. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

the chairs remind me of the Dog and Duck Pub

6. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Liquidator, that story is great, thanks for pointing it out. Even when I went to their site to look for the link, it took me a few minutes to find it...

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've just spent a few minutes trying to find it, and even knowing it's there, I haven't been able to.

...ah, there it is. Pretty simple navigation tip, folks. Newest news events go on top.

8. Real_Madrid1006

Real_Madrid1006 New Member

Jan 31, 2008
    austin
    Well, just a few thoughts on the meeting. I was initially extremely excited, but left with a couple of bitter bits on my tongue.

First thought...Hail, Hail the gang's all here. Looked like an Amp'd or Lightning meeting. Would like to see some fresh legs....but, it's a start.

Had some good ideas ... hopefully they'll follow through. Some of the same kind of stuff you would expect anyone walking in to say. Seem more like a marketing stint. But, I'm still positive until proven otherwise.

Seemed to take a couple of jabs at the old Austin team. Don't like that...wasn't the best run in the last couple of years, but did do a lot for a lot of us. Several of the players in the room learned a lot and became friends through the Lightning. Not all was bad...with a little help, it would have been good. Plus, I knew some of the things that were done last season to make the team fold. I understand it was for the best now, but just didn't like how it was done.

Seems to be a whole lot of emphasis on the spanish players and the spanish fans....name, logo, and several comments. Yeah, we need everyone to come together to make this work, but don't isolate the rest of us.

Will I try out for the U23...yes, will I make it...probably. Will I try out for the USL 1 ...nope, not good enough. Will I support the USL 1...definitely. But, just not as enthusiastic as before.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if they focus too much on the hispanics, they're going to have the same problems that Chivas LA did. I have no idea if things have changed any since the Lone Stars days. Back then, they kept getting pressure to get more hispanics and check out the hispanic league for players. Because, well, of course they're better than the ones in the AMSA and college players, right?

I know that the Lone Stars regularly scouted the hispanic league, and had players come out to tryouts. I can't say how much it was familiarity and how much it was that they just weren't up to par, but I don't know of any of those players that broke into the Lone Stars lineups.

So, I hope the Aztex don't isolate anyone. If they focus too much on the hispanics around, I feel sure they'll have the same problems that Chivas LA did.

Regarding the people showing up being Lightning/Amp'd reunion... I'm not surprised. Y'all are the ones that are most in the know, and y'all are presumably the best local players, so you're the ones that are going to be there. It's not until a couple Stoke players come in (with the USL-1 team, probably) and the USL-1 team gets going do I expect there to be noticible differences.

10. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How many Spaniards are there in Austin? :confused:

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^
    Clearly at least one;)

Yeah, I figured we knew what he meant, which is why I said 'hispanic' in my response to him.

12. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all too familiar around MLS. I just hope they would focus inclusively on attracting passionate soccer/football-minded fans regardless of where they come from and not craving towards marketing gimmicks.

13. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :confused:When is our own forum up?

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to post this in here. I hesitate to put a San Antonio thread in our nice clean home, but this is relevant to us. This news article says this:

16. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to beat the mascot conversation to death or anything, but it just seems kind of odd. Like it's trying too hard to reach out specifically to Hispanics. How many Aztecs were in the Austin area?

19. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don't know, vato, check us out at East Austin.

20. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you a real life Aztec? Can I touch you?

21. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sure. Just stay away from my avatar.

22. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    .....and there are still a good number of Mexicanos with Aztec ancestry. But. Do come by East Austin.

23. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vacation there. Nice area.

24. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    I'm arriving a little late (disclaimer:and buzzed) to the Aztex news and thread. The news of a pro soccer club moving into Austin, has made my day! I like the fact that the owner is English and has ties to a club with so much history. It also good to see the Stoke City supporters extending a hand.

After my glee subsides I do however dwell on what will effect the success of the franchise along with my own nit picky issues, both good and bad.

Are we first and foremost a feeder team? If a player comes up through our system and is an essential part of our teams success, but Stoke needs more depth is it off to England in exchange for an over paid reserve player?

I also see the benefits to this. I'm sure Houston and Dallas are playing a few reserve players peanuts when they could be earning a better paycheck in USL with a direct line to the England payday. Especially, with MLS getting the rep of jerking a few players around when the larger clubs come calling. I have mixed feeling on this.

Not just MLS reserve players can we find some other quality players among the Laredo Heat or FC Roma Dallas?

Which brings me to the potential of a Texas Cup? or exhibition games?

Are travel expenses going to take to heavy a toll on the league? Can we hope to see some USL sides in San Antonio, Tulsa or Edmond?

What does Aztex have to do with Austin? and why does the typography of the logo have to look like a candy bar wrapper?

Can we steal John Spencer from Houston as a head coach?

What can we do as supporters to help on a grass roots level? promotion, marketing, purchasing power, ect. were can we look for help?

All very exciting! And without one match being played yet.

25. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question.