Austin Aztex on 1300 The Zone

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by mattmanp, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of our first missions as fans should be to try to get as much coverage of the Aztex on 1300 AM (local Austin sports radio for you out of towners). The best way to do this is to call in and get on air with questions and show up to their events in full gear. They won't cover it if they don't know there is a demand for it. To that end, I was hoping someone could call Bucky tomorrow morning and ask if AJ will try out for the under 23 team in March. I can't because my work sucks. If anyone wants to, post a time so people can tune in.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I never responded to this. I've thought about it, but like you my work schedule and morning routine make it difficult. And it's harder now that Bucky's show stops at 9. If there's any early birds out there, his show starts at 6. I'll bet he doesn't get many phone calls then.

Extra tip: Tuesday is 'First Time Caller Tuesday.' Seems like a wide open spot for a soccer fan to call in.

3. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would suggest that you not spend too much time on 1300 the zone. I was a avid listener until a couple of months ago when I switched to the local ESPN affiliate (1530). I got tired of hearing Jim Rome pan, abuse, and generally talk rubbish about soccer, and the downward spiral on the quality of the talk.

My perception so far (primarily as a result of no soccer bashing) of 1350 is that they are open to soccer conversations. I'll send them something, and will listen for it on the radio (I work from home and have it on anyway). I would imagine that especially since they've had press releases at www.soccernet.com (ESPN's online presence for soccer) about the Aztex, and with tryouts for the U23 team going online this Saturday at St. Ed's, that there would be interest.

4. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aztex Supporters, I wanted to make sure you were aware of an email that I am sending around to various outlets in Austin. This particular email is to Sports Radio 1300AM's Bucky Godbold. For those of you who may not be aware, Bucky's got daughters who play both for the Longhorn's and LSU.

Bucky,

I wanted to either bring your attention to something, or add my voice to the masses if you’ve already heard about, the Austin Aztex. As a listener to your show for years, and someone who knows you appreciate the “beautiful game” of soccer, I wanted to express my hope that you would do a bit on the new soccer franchise in Austin, the Aztex. The Aztex are more than just the latest soccer franchise to take to the field. They have many ties and relationships that will set them apart not just from anything done in Texas before, but in the US. For instance…

• Phil Rawlins is not only the team owner, but he’s also a Director at Stoke City FC who is ranked 2nd in the Coca Cola Champions League, and in a great position to be promoted to the English Premier League.
    • The newly announced Manager, Adrian Heath, is an experienced coach and player in Europe, having played for Premier League clubs like Everton, Aston Villa and Manchester City. He’s personally tied to Sir Alex Ferguson who rumor has it, comes to Austin frequently in the off season to visit friends.
    • The Aztex are the first team in the US (in the USL or MSL) to have a direct formal relationship with an English professional club (Crystal Palace has an informal relationship with the Baltimore Crystal Palace team). This means that not only will we be seeing player and coaching exchanges, but we’ll also see the Stoke City FC team have pre-season practices in Austin.
    The team is currently holding tryouts (last weekend and this weekend) at St. Edward’s, and is already drawing a rabid band of supporters. I know several of us are not only going there to view the potential team, but also start covering informally with posts to blogs (www.bigsoccer.com) and photo sites (TBA). Players from as far away as Brazil are coming to Austin to get their opportunity to play professional “football”, either in the US or Europe.

Now, being in Austin 20 years, I’m a realist enough to know that we’re not going to be usurping the Longhorns, the Spurs, the Mavericks, the Cowboys, or hell, even the Ice Bats (at least initially). However, I was hoping that you’d be able to share some love (unlike Mr. Jim Rome who’s opinions on soccer are well known, and not shared in any way by a majority of us). Specifically, we, the Aztex Supporters Group, would like to see if you could…

1. Get the Aztex team (www.austinaztex.com) posted on the “Sports Sites” section at www.sportsradio1300.com.
    2. Be willing to have either Phil or Adrian in for an interview on the air, to talk about the Aztex.
    3. Be willing to provide any exposure to the team that you can.

I sincerely appreciate any and all help you can provide. If there is anything that I, or the Aztex Supporters can do for you, do not ever hesitate to contact me.

Bucky, thank you, for helping us be the voice of the Aztex. As a fellow fan, I know you’ll quickly realize the magic that is beginning here in Austin.

I urge you all to also send these types of emails to any and every outlet you can. A quick poll showed me that very few outlets (KVUE was one) have anything online regarding the Aztex. Let's change this!!

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And his son was on the roster for the KC Wizards last year. But he was dropped. Don't know what he's doing now. I have no idea what he looks like, or what position he plays. For all I know he was out there this weekend.

6. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a short midfielder if that helps. :rolleyes:

7. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed both Bucky and AJ, we'll see what happens.