Aussie Strikers

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rockymtn_mike, Oct 25, 2006.

1. collundo

collundo New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    troisi is a winger not a striker

I go for melbourne, Broque would get a spot before Danny.

I'm not saying broque will get another cap but in reality if all of our top strikers were to come down with injury he would be one of the next to turn to.

2. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    but why? is scoring less goals sexier?

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I don't really have much of an opinion one way or the other on the guy, but to keep banging on about goal tallies is a bit silly. Sydney's horrible system last season really strangled him. If you look back at his previous season for Roar, there's a lot to like... I expect we'll see more from him in years to come.

Allsopp is vastly overrated by MVFC supporters. He's a good solid A-League player, who's greatly benefited from a well-setup team that feeds him quality from midfield. I'm not saying guys like Brosque are currently outperforming him, but he's a journeyman at the peak of his career. He's not really someone we should be talking about here... the young guys are the ones who are going to get attention, improve and become prominent.

Thompson is miles ahead of Allsopp in terms of talent.

4. ykickamoocow

ykickamoocow New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Australia
    I dont know about anyone else but i really hope Bruce Djite gets a contract with a European club soon as their is only a certain amount a player can improve in the A League and i think Djite has alot of unused potential.

5. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well he's got to perform in the A-League first.

Viduka scored 40 goals in 46 games before he left. Did that stuff up his progress??

I dont think so, he's only failed to score less than 15 goals a season in the premiership just once and that was only because he missed more than half the season.

6. Aussie red

Aussie red New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Adelaide
    Burns
    Bridge
    Djite

they are the best young strikers in the A-leauge. and IMO in that order. i was at the ollyroos game V iran last nite, and have seen all these guys play at least once, IMO Burns is the best of these three but Bridge is not too far behind, Bruce Djite is trailing by a bit. Burns is amazing for his age. he is only 18!! not only does he score goals but he sets so many up and just uses the ball so well, Possibly the best young player in AUS.

In Last nights game, Troisi played as a left forward, Bridge a central striker and burns as a right forward. so could be considered in this thread as a forward/striker.

Troisi was sensational, and showed more class and poise than burns. he is defenatly a player to watch for the future. if he played in the A-Leauge he would dominate.

I Have seen footage of david Williams from Brondby, and is considered one of the team's young guns, and is scoring goals over there. He seems as if he is going to be a very good striker.

before too long these guys could find themselves scoring goals in the big leagues in Europe!!

7. les murry

les murry New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    being a mvfc fan.. i can say that i think this is the season for bruce didje (adelaide united).. he honestly hasnt had a chance to prove himself but when he does .. watch out.. his strong, can hold the ball up, fast and will fit perfect in the australian team in the coming world cup... danny allsop is to old to start playing in the team sorry to say! we cant have players in thier late 20's to take game time away from our potential stars

8. Australian_Football_

Aug 24, 2007
    Sydney
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hate to re-start a discussion on such an ancient thread, but came across it and made me curious.

What is the thing with Kennedy? Just as an observer whose seen some of his goals with Australia. (can't seem to find his goals from his time in Germany, looking for those of him in Japan). He's 6'4/6'5, and scores with his head. What else can he do? 16 goals in 30 matches, half of those in WC qualifying. None in the WC . Is he the number 1 starting striker for Australia? what's his competition like?

10. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He's basically a target man in the national team but he has improved a lot with his feet after playing every week in Japan (2011 J-League top scorer) . He's scored plenty of goals for club and country with his feet too (and some penalties). Unfortunately he sustained a serious back injury which kept him out of all football for the past year and he's just returning to form now.

Kennedy actually doesn't have much competition apart from Tim Cahill which is purely tactical as they don't really work well together. In terms of other actual striker options, things are looking very weak which is quite normal for Australia. Brosque and Thompson are the only two who come to mind. Matthew Leckie and Scott McDonald have been given the cold shoulder for whatever reason despite playing regularly and, in McDonald's case, scoring goals. Kerem Bulut and Eli Babalj need to be playing regularly with their clubs to have any chance. Stocks are thin so, depending on the tactical approach to a specific game, Kennedy's position isn't under much threat. It's no wonder we always seem to have one of the oldest teams in every competition.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thought this topic needed a bump, mainly because it is still relevant. Who is the next striker for the Socceroos?

Babalj has gone on loan to PEC Zwolle (where Sainsbury is) for first team football, if he is good enough.

Burns looks very lively for the Phoenix and in his Asian Cup brief appearances.

Juric has the makings, but I still feel he is not consistent enough. Popovic needs to play each game, and he needs to be looking to push his game forward (maybe a move to Europe if offers come in).

Kruse and Leckie have potential, but seem more suited to wing positions over out and out strikers.

Ikonomidis (plays for Lazio youth) could be one for the future??

Cahill doesn't have the speed, holding ability or stamina to play the current Australian teams style ... but is he still the best option? Or best option whilst we wait for someone else to step up?

Mabil seems to have some raw talent, but still a while off. McLaren has also been able to actually finish this season too.

12. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I still think Adam Taggart has a future for the Socceroos. Once he gets himself fit and playing some senior football at Fulham. He has scored twice in the past 2 matches in the U21 premier league

13. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ah yes Taggart. Be good if he gets a decent run at Fulham

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It is pretty incredible that Cahill is 35/36 and still scoring great goals and leading the team. Though that could be a negative as well if it's impeding the success of his younger replacements.

15. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I always subscribe to the mentality that it isn't up to Cahill to "retire (give up)" but up to a young striker to "step up". Is any other striker in Australia putting their hand up as a must pick over Timmy??

16. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tommi Juric has gone back to be a squad rotation player for WSW ... what a silly boy for turning down a huge contract with the Chinese Super League.

Perhaps Ange will gives a look at a "new" striker in Germany or Macedonia? Who are your picks for the front three against Germany and Macedonia??

I would imagine Leckie will get a gig as he plays in Germany, Kruse won't be fit, and Cahill will just be starting his season in China (so probably won't use him) ... Troisi get a run (or is he better behind the front three?) I really don't know who he'll pick ...

17. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I would think that Leckie and Oar get starting spots, then depending on whether they could be bothered taking a-league based players over to Europe, I can see Ben Halloran and/or Eli Babalj getting a run at some stage. Both have been playing lately at Dusseldorf and Pec Zwolle.

18. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If Babalj keeps getting game time he has to get a crack ... let's hope PEC do persist with him.

Aah yes forgot about Halloran. Vidosic and Bozanic might get another crack too ... although they seem to be in and out of their teams a fair bit.

Jedinak might be having a few weeks on the sidelines too ... after his elbow.

19. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Must say, I liked the look of Bulut for the future. Looked good against Sydney FC.

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014