Aug. 27: The Gooch CL 2nd leg Liverpool vs Standaard Luik (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. SparkBomba

SparkBomba New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Toronto
    hahahaha You're right.:p

Sorry!!!:D

2. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No worries, but I guess most of us were pulling for Standard due to the Gooch factor.

3. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he saw this thread on the "Latest post" section on the front page, and thought it was the official Liverpool match thread? No harm done either way.

4. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Good perfomance from Onyewu though not a stand-out one in a good performance all round for Liege. He looked three times the player than is poor showings in WC 2008 and in the Premier League

I dn't think Liege can say that they were incredibly unlucky, at the end of the day their shooting meant that just a competent perfomance from Reina was enough to effectively deny them. And the offensive threat was always there from Liverpool. Tbh I always thought Liverpool were more likely to score than Liege even though they seemed determined to give Liege every opportunity to go ahead.

5. mick357

mick357 New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    From Soccernet:

Torres then worked his way through to see a shot blocked by Onyewu, who was having a fine game in defence to keep the Spaniard relatively quiet.

Gooch also did seem to win every header in OT.

6. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    didn't see the match and was rooting for standard (for gooch). but i'm glad to hear/read that he had a good game.

7. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
  8. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    What's the problem? All he was doing was posting a picture of Gooch marking Robbie Keane.

10. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the game, completley zoned out. Anyways, from what I've read Gooch played a damn good game. Good to see, his transfer will definatley go up, and hopefully Mourinho was watching.

11. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, you want another American international on the bench for his club team? No thanks, just join a team like Middlesbrough and be my fantasy football secret. Or maybe you're talking bout a puppet cameo on his Setanta show

12. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, the link didn't show up when I was posting the response. I thought he was implying that Gooch wouldn't have done so well if he were marking Keane for large stretches, mostly due to the ellipsis. Just misunderstood.

13. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
  14. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fixed.

15. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...um what exactly did you fix?

16. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

17. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah bolding helps :)

18. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, here in the South, we haven't yet come to grasp the power of things like bold script. Either that or I just didn't think to do it.

19. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    you're insane! he looks like a bad ass.

20. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    raise your hand if when you first saw him you thought he was going for the Kimbo Slice look...

[​IMG]

21. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007
    wow, great game last night.

kuyt is really developing a tendency for scoring critical goals in the champs league.

it is hard not to feel for standard even if they didn't have gooch in their team. they gave it their all, and over 210 minutes they at least matched liverpool and perhaps outplayed them.

that says a lot about this young team despite liverpool's bizarre tendency to just barely qualify for the champs league.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yes! He'll be so much better of at a mid-table team in France or Germany. :rolleyes:

23. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. There was pic of him exiting a plane or bus somewhere. He still looked like he wanted to crush people while wearing glasses and a nice suit.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    i wasnt able to see most of the final time, but if Standard had one major problem today it was their corners. He couldnt get it over the first man, he would send it low or he would boom it out. Gooch never had a chance. Which is too bad because Liverpool always has a problem with set pieces against. Oh, wait, maybe that is Arsenal and Fabregas I am thinking of....

25. Wow, guys. You made reading the posts in this thread as exiting as the match was to watch:)