Aug. 27: The Gooch CL 2nd leg Liverpool vs Standaard Luik (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. No thread yet, so here it is. Standard are in good form and Liverpool is struggling, so that could be a chance for the Gooch to get into the serious soccer strada.
    I really hope Standard kicks those red butts to trim down the EPL exposure in the CL.

2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    liverpool won the last two epl games. not really struggling.

3. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They needed two goals in IIRC, the 86' and 90' to beat Middlesborogh - at Anfield. Liege is better than 'Boro and if Liverpool plays like they did on Saturday, I could easily see Liege march out of Anfield with a 1-0/2-1 victory.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    even 1-1 will be enough for gooch and his mates to go thru.

5. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way Liege is better than Boro.

6. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That certainly was a compelling argument. Would you like to expand on it?

7. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I like Gooch's team and will be rooting for them tomorrow but I think a mid-table EPL side is still better, over the long run, than a Belgian champion.

More money (even if many EPL players earn more than they would in other countries) and more roster depth tilt things in favor of the richer teams / leagues.

Single elimination Cup competition is a different matter and allows the poorer teams a better chance at the upset.

8. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will.
    Liege - League Champions
    Boro - Not League Champions

I think this debate is settled.

9. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    doesnt work that way but i can see boro beating liege or other way around. Boro can bring Mido off the bench. that's how deep they're upfront.

10. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Man U won bunch of games late last year and they were the champion. Didnt matter when you score the goals as long as you beat the team. Liverpool is not struggling. Gooch and Liege are going to mount tremendous amount of pressures from Liverpool. Love to see Liege get a draw but i doubt.

11. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I forgot to put a sarcastic smiley in there.

12. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Trust me Liege aren't better than Boro, comes down to the money and the pulling power of the Premiership. Even a mid-table Premiership side can afford a better squad and can attarct better players than the Belgian Champions.

As a side note Liege is in French speaking Belgium so surely it should be Liverpool vs Standard de Liège

13. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That missed penalty for Liege is really gonna haunt them. Unless they come up with a miraculous performance, it will be tough. Although they were the better side in the first leg at home.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Game 'preview' here ...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=566426&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901

Boloni has taken over as Liege coach this season, the club fresh from their first domestic title in 25 years.

And he sees coaching a victory at Anfield comparable to anything he achieved as a player.

He said: ''Over three or four years at Steaua, I cannot say to anyone that we were the best, but we were beating the best.

''For Standard to win here would be comparable to anything I achieved as a player at Steaua.''

Liege will have American defender Oguchi Onyewu, who had a spell at Newcastle, back from suspension.

Injury doubts over Wilfried Dalmat have eased with the midfielder training tonight with the squad at Anfield.

And there could also be a place back in the squad for Serbian forward Milan Jovanovic. He was not risked in the first leg because of a potential sale to either PSV Eindhoven or Marseille.

Liege did not want to cup-tie him in Europe, but as the expected bids have not materialised, he is likely now to be involved in the second leg.

Nice to see Gooch's claim to fame reduced to a spell at Newcastle.

15. cklab

cklab Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Dallas
    Would it be better to say he scored against Mexico? ;)

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    And this is based on what exactly? Their respective budgets? That would make most championship sides better than Liège.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.noshortcorners.com/2008/08/standards-big-night.html

[​IMG]

From what I {Greg Seltzer} understand, the visitors have no intention of backing down and will prove it by fielding two strikers.

The expected Standard line-up: Espinoza; Marcos, Onyewu, Sarr, Dante, Fellaini, Dalmat, Defour, Witsel, De Camargo, Mbokani

18. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there any way to watch this? Is there a Matchtracker available?

19. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Streams here and possibly elsewhere.

20. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Do these streams usually show anything prior to kickoff?

I'm at home trying it for the first time and getting nothing on one of the Chinese feeds, but it may be because it's 10 minutes prior to scheduled start. Any software necessary besides the Active X control?

There should be matchtrackers at Soccernet

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=252426&league=UEFA.CHAMPIONS&cc=5901

as well as this Belgian site:

http://www.sport.be/fr/football/champions/?Article_ID=306588

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cable Sports on Sopcast is a decent stream. It's English too.

22. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Torres, and Keane, and Gerrard, OH MY!