Aug.10 RSL/Revs fight night [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Aug 8, 2005.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis maybe out, Mathis definitely out.

Noonan and Edozian probably out. Hernandez not official yet.
    Revs might be pissed after Saturday. And on their own turf!

Discuss?

2. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yar. This chair be high, says I.

3. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    My big concern is that we just played an emotional game and may be a little drained. The Revs lost their first game at home this season and will probably come out really fired up! Ellinger hasn't been incredibly successful at motivating some of the veterans (although lately they have been playing with spunk). I am worried that we'll get run over if we're not ready. I hope I'm wrong :( On the plus side, we really have been playing better. Williams seems to improve with each game and I'm seeing more fluidity in our play. Our defense should be complete. Hopefully Kreis can play but I'd rather he didn't unless there is no chance of making his injury worse. We just will need someone else to step up.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which 2 forwards do you want up top?

Cila?
    Watson?
    Washington?
    Selolwane?
    Brown?
    Williams?
    Water Boy?

5. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    We'll trade you water boy for Smith.

Seriously, without Noonan or Dozer, we have no 2nd striker to pair with Twellman. I wouldn't imagine a goal-fest, specially if RSL plays the road bunker.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure we have the troops for an all-out bunker, at least until Scarlett and Cabrera join up.

The killer about Kreis and Mathis both being out is the precipitous drop in free kick ability.

I assume we'll see two of Cila, Brown, and Watson, but am not sure that's our best option. Much depends on who we're planning to trim from the roster in a week or so, or if a final run out for Washington or Selowane is merited before definitively putting them on the chopping block.

Not much hope in me on this one, sorry.

7. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington and Watson. We'll need Williams at a-mid and Brown on the wing. Maybe start Cila and put in Watson in the second half.

Or maybe Cila/Watson and Brown up top, Williams at a-mid, Tiger on the wing.

Or maybe Cila/Watson and Williams up top, Selolwane at a-mid, Brown on the wing.

I don't know.

8. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I like the sound of the Cila/Watson tandem up front. I want Williams at mid because he's a great passer.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a huge game for the Revs. They are usually about in the middle of their summer losing streak (hey, traditions are important). This year, they just can't afford to enter those summer doldrums. A loss on Wednesday night would be a huge step back for a team that has MLS Cup ambitions.

Having met some of you guys while I was out there for the WCQ ... I wish you guys luck the rest of the year. Just not the two remaining games against us. :)

10. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Chill out, you're playing RSL...in your house...

11. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Cheers Patfan1, same to you!

Regarding the game, RSL has nothing to lose - this is a game where they are expected to lose... hopefully, they can use that to their advantage - take some of the pressure off and just come out and play.

The Revs are definitely smarting though - loss to Chivas, loss at home... they're not going to just roll over...

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this match is going to go one of two ways, revs will come out like dallas did against us and play flat or they will come out hungry and go for the domination like they (although it pains me) should. of course im hoping for the flat team to show up so rsl can atleast come away with a point. who knows, its hard to say what these guys will do. i atleast want rsl to come out and play with some fire. go for that 3rd win in a row. leave EVERYTHING on the field so atleast you know that you played the absolute hardest you could.

atleast win the game for me :) today is my birthday after all.

13. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Happy Birthday man!

14. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    I'm willing to celebrate the birthday with a win by RSL!

15. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whatever happened to Seleolwane?

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about him?
    He is still with the team, if thats what you are asking.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSNet.com Preview.

REFEREE: Ricardo Valenzuela. SAR (bench): Tom Supple; JAR (opposite): Richard Eddy; 4th: Erich Simmons
    MLS Career: 65 games; FC/gm: 34.3; Y/gm: 4.7; R: 28; pens: 22
    Games involving Revolution: P11 W3 L8 T0; FC/gm: 37.4; Y/gm: 5.3; R: 5; pens: 2
    Games involving Real: first game

INJURY REPORT: NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION - OUT: GK Kyle Singer (R shoulder sprain); PROBABLE: FW Pat Noonan (R ankle sprain) ... REAL SALT LAKE - PROBABLE: FW Jason Kreis (R foot sprain); DF Rustin Pierce (R hamstring strain); GK D.J. Countess (R ankle sprain)

INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
    SUSPENDED: RSL: MF Clint Mathis (through Aug. 10)
    WARNINGS: NE: Clint Dempsey (19 CP); Jay Heaps (10 CP in 2 gms) ... RSL: Jason Kreis (17 CP); Seth Trembly (19 CP)

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME: first meeting

This is the first meeting all-time between the two clubs, and the only one scheduled this season for Gillette Stadium. They have one meeting set for Rice-Eccles Stadium, in just a little less than a month's time, on Sept. 3.
    Coaches record: Steve Nicol vs. RSL: first game... John Ellinger v RSL: first game

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your smart you'll play all the exRevs---Brown, Williams, Pierce, Kamler and Dunseth. Nothing like "coming back" to get a players blood up.

Sure don't like this Ref. He's always had an impact (as no Ref ever should ) on every Rev game he's ever done. Hope he comes down with the Flu over the next few hous and need to switch with the 4th official ;)

This is a very important match for the Revs. we have two games in hand on the Fire and a win would sure give us some breathing room. All the USMNT callups have been a pain and really detracted from the quality of our play.

Glad to see your team starting to get a little rhythm. It's hard to build a winning team in MLS even when you get allocations et al. Look forward to watching your side evolve over the next few years.

19. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I would like for it to happen, I just don't see this being RSL's first road win.

20. WTFC11

WTFC11 New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Southern Utah

Probably Cila and Watson, but this could be a breakout week for Water Boy!

21. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is water boy? Luke K?

22. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Except about the whole "would like to see it happen" part, of course. We'll be mad as hell from losing to the Whizz and our home advantage is not to be scoffed at.

Although Christ, we lost to Chivas. I'm still hurting from that.

Sorry Fake Spaniards, no points for you tonight.

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    [Sarcasm]
    we need to give up more goals, especially early in the match
    [/sarcasm]

24. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Heaps clears it off the line after RSL's first CK.

25. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    33'

ya! Kries gets his 99th off a set piece!

Revs 2
    RSL 1