AUFC vs. Crew SC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jun 16, 2017.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BDS @ HGF
    Jun 17, 7 PM
    FSSO

Saturday night football, our preferred setting, back in front of a sold out Bobby Dodd! Time to get back on track in league play! Not sure if a preseason loss warrants revenge but, hey, whatever works, right?!

Atlanta will look to right the ship after consecutive road losses and the less-than-graceful victory over Charleston in the midweek USOC match. All eyes likely to be on Almiron regarding his match fitness and, if he starts, Josef Martinez for the same. Press releases haven't indicated the prospective lineup but only Jacob Peterson remains on the injury list, so in theory we've reached the point where all the preferred first XI options are available. Time to see how Tata will use Martinez, Villalba, Asad and Gressel if they're all healthy. Based on his interviews after the Battery match, too, expect some possible experiments on defense in the coming weeks. Not sure if they rest anyone ahead of the Wednesday trip to DCU, but we'll see.

Columbus comes in on the heels of their frustrating (embarassing?) USOC loss at FC Cincinnati, and don't want to slip too far down the MLS caste structure that they can't escape their market size. The club has a proud history, including an MLS Cup win in 2008, but have been an enigma since trading away top striker Kai Kamara last year. Still, they sit 4 points above Atlanta in the eastern table (granted, with 2 more games played) and have some notable talent on their roster. Federico Higuain is the midfield general and talisman and has been one of the league's best players the past few seasons, with midfielder Justin Merram and striker Ola Kamara providing the main scoring threats. But the Crew should be road weary, having lost at Colorado 2-1 last weekend before their 100-mile trip to Cincy on Wednesday. But they did precede that with a 3-0 win over Seattle, so... Kekuta Manneh is the only player likely out for the Crew this match.

Since Columbus also played in midweek Atlanta can feel comfortable sticking with their A-game approach of "Run, run, run." They'll want to score first, as usual, and, more importantly, follow that up with a 2nd before the Crew can gain any momentum. Expect the wide attackers to be really active (especially if Almiron is slowed down), and for Carmona to man-mark Higuain most of the match.

3-1 to the good.

2. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus used almost all of their attacking players and both CDMs in the USOC match. Atlanta should have a much-rested backline and have Asad, Villalba and Carmona who are fresh.

Merram went a full 90 on Wednesday and he is their best attacking threat, as did Higuain. That said, Almiron and Martinez put in a full shift as well.

No matter who played what, our defense needs to find some synergy and structure. We've given up too many goals the past month and a half and the backline has struggled to deal with even nominal threats. A solid performance by the defense should get us a win.

3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    It'll be interesting to see what Tata does at forward. With Martinez back does he put Vilalba back on the right wing, and if so, what does that mean for Gressel. He has really shined since being moved wide. If I had a guess I'd say he goes with Josef up top with Asad-Almiron-Vilalba behind.

Would he dare put Gressel with Carmona in the back of the midfield to give Larentowicz a breather?

Is Garza playing? I think I saw on twitter that his wife just delivered. He on paternity leave?

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Personally I'd start Gressel over Villalba but I thought about your idea, as well. Surely we'll see some rotation in the next two weeks so chances are we see both options play out.

If the Ginger Wicz needs rest I think Kratz might be the better option in the middle, or they'll give McCann and run and rely on the rest of the team's speed to compensate.

No clue as this is the first I've heard. If so then congrats to the new dad on Father's Day!

5. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaky start. Still not sure why Mears and Parkhurst continue to struggle, but they put us in bad positions all night.

We seemed to have a huge hole between the backline and the front three. I really wasn't high on Carmona in the first half whatsoever.

Luckily, we have true talent in our attacking players that showed through in the second half.

Three points feels good.

6. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Finishers finish. And the defense looked better in the second half. The way both teams presss makes this a good rivalry.

7. MetroRed

MetroRed Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Kennesaw, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    With Josef, Almiron, and Tito V all healthy and available, this team is the best in the league or at least second behind Tor. We need to make the playoffs and then have all those guys available for the playoff games and then we can go far. Injuries or Intl call ups will hurt us. The depth is not there beyond Kenwyn J in certain types of games.

8. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    I'll take the 3 points and it's great to see the DPs get on the scoresheet. Loved the atmosphere at the park as well.

The thing I still cannot get over is our defense. EVERY single counter I felt was going to end in a goal against. In fact, if Columbus had brought their finishing boots we'd have been down 2 in the opening 10 minutes. I haven't decided if its stylistic or talent based but we're an unmade bed in the back. When things get tight down the homestretch and we have to eke out a 1-0 I don't think this team has that ability.

Another notice is that we've dramatically decreased our wingbacks overlapping on the flanks. Garza and Mears dont seem to be getting as deep on attack. Is due to Gressel and Asad being able to accomplish this task or is this a conscious tactic from Tata to keep them from over committing and hindering defensive efforts?

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This. In the brief time we've been able to watch United play this is the difference between Martinez and the other striker options. I think Jones actually has the finishing touch but not the rest of the package that Josef features, and the latter is certainly a better point man than Villalba. Tito is still a solid player but he can struggle with his runs as the leading central striker.

Good spot, and I don't have the answer. I do feel part of it is opposing teams adapting to AU's style of play. They had nothing to go by until this team hit the field, so now that a playbook is being developed those other teams can watch, learn and counter. Especially as we've noted the other defensive shortcomings I suspect those players are struggling the most in finding the balance between aiding the attack and aiding the defense.

10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until Josef is back to full match fitness, I'd almost like to see Tito start on the bench. Gressel has just been too good out wide. If anything Tito and Gressel start over Asad.

I'd rather see Tito on the bench and come in for Josef after 65 or so. Playing 1 high forward like we have is hard work even if you are 90 minute fit.