Review: Audi Field Experiences and Updates thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    DCU season starts in a few weeks... any AF updates on the giant sun-blocking wall of doom? o_O
    Permanent signage? :unsure:
    Or is AF going into season 2 still looking sterile and incomplete like last season? :speechless:

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've dealt with this FO before, what do you think????

ejs1111 repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm walking around now. The wifi coverage is better. Nothing else to report.

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Am I missing another season ticket member event?

5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will likely be better without a full stadium of people saturating the hotspots.

Hopefully there will be a difference during the game.

James

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was able to connect all around the venue today. That was not the case last year even when there were no people or very few people. Many of the Hotspots were not broadcasting a public connection.

Winoman repped this.
  7. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the events that entail a stadium tour the "STM Education Events"? Don't necessarily need the tutorial but curious if anyone here as been and if it's worthwhile.

8. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drove around the stadium over the weekend and didn't see any obvious changes from last season. If anything, the temporary, fabric signage looked a bit worn from being up all winter. I don't think we should expect anything special come March 3rd.

TS.

sitruc, Winoman, asitis and 1 other person repped this.
  9. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    For the life of me I cannot understand why the crest of our club is not prominently displayed on our stadium.

TowsonDad, sitruc, Eastern Bear and 4 others repped this.
  10. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    No one is paying for our crest to go on the stadium. I am sure Audi and Eagle Bank got exactly what they contracted for and not a millimeter more. Is there a Redskins logo on FedEx? I know there isn't a prominent Caps or Wizards logo on CapOne, at least nothing permanent on the outside.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a bit surprised VW/Audi is happy with their cheap-ass faded mesh logos. Maybe they got a deep discount on their stadium sponsorship if they agreed to not put any permanent Audi signs on it :D

sitruc, Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.
  12. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Actually... all those teams have the team logo prominently displayed at midfield. Since soccer fields don't do that- I agree that some team logo signage would be appropriate around the stadium.

Winoman repped this.
  13. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    did they end up putting the permanent Audi signage on the roof? I've only seen the aerial graphics. I don't recall seeing actual drone/aerial footage.

14. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I wasn't saying it wasn't appropriate, just that no one was paying for it, certainly not Levien and Kaplan. They seem barely able to afford what they've got to pay for now.

ejs1111 repped this.
  15. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    agreed! DCU constantly appears to be looking under the couch cushions every season.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  16. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got an email back from the DCU FO stating that the final details for the away kit are still being finalized but rest assured, it'll be released before the beginning of the season....

TS.

Winoman repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that’s the answer they would have been better off not saying anything.

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    White with some sort of black and red trim. A bastardation of the three stripes.

When MLS dictates the kit and addidas only has certain templates available, it’s not going to be a mystery.

If they do away with the “away kit” and go with an “alternate jersey” then my interest will be piqued. Maybe the people running the show have the stones to drop yet another “tradition”...

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Bullshit. I refuse to believe that shit has not been finalized for months other than the sponsor that evidently been finalized for nearly a month.

I get the feeling they took this photo because they saw me doing the same on Sunday.

Yes, I took a bunch of photos of the area on Sunday. There's nothing new with EagleBank Field. Two cherry pickers were on the east side and one was in the southwest corner. They may have been there for upcoming fabric sign installation.

fatbastard, asitis, GumbyG and 1 other person repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Atlas Brew Works will be opening a new location across from Nats Park next Spring.

DC Braveheart, pr0ner and Winoman repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #2221 PSURoss, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Thats a bull shit answer. There's no way they let this come down to the last week or two. Adidas has to do manufacturing and the like. Even something simple like the jock tag would cost them weeks to set and schedule printing for in their factories. The approval process for those things is also is long and drawn out. Those things were finalized months upon months in advance. I remember standing in the concourse with our rep on whatever that rain delay game was 2 seasons ago at RFK and he was telling me, without giving me any details, how awesome the new home kit was going to be. This is why Broussia Cincy Gladback's fans are all up in arms about only being able to buy a replica grade jersey and in fact, their player will wear the replica grade jersey on the field. Becuase there was literally no time to design and approve something then get 2 grades made and I'd guess the replica grade stuff is easier to manufacture.

I loathe to say this, but the new home NYC jersey positively kills it and I really like the contrasting shorts for Portland's new home kit. If we rolled out a jersey like NYC's I might break my teamstore boycott to buy like 5 of them.

ejs1111 repped this.
  22. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    For DCU to accomplish this... that would require them to actually lift the couch up and turn it upside down to shake out every available coin. I don't think the DCU suits are going to perform that type of manual labor.

Winoman repped this.
  23. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is ridiculous. What this says to me is that the F.O. overestimated the price that they could charge for sponsorship and don't want to begin play with blank jerseys. I expect that the new away jersey has been approved and is in production but that lack of sponsorship is holding things up. By the way, I haven't been able to find a home jersey online at United's website, so I assume it's all about sponsorship.

If I had my druthers, our new sponsor would be a local microbrew or regional big name brewery along the lines of the classic Newcastle United jerseys when they were sponsored by New Castle Brown (which unfortunately is now brewed in Holland, of course). How would the rest of you feel if we were sponsored by, say, D.C. Brau (the motherland), Seven Locks (Rockville), Port City (Alexandria), Guinness (Baltimore County) or Flying Dog (Frederick)?

Sadly, that will never happen.

big spaniel and TowsonDad repped this.
  24. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This is actually the most plausible answer and why the club wouldn't just say that its not available because the sponsorship deal took longer than expected to work out and move on from there is beyond me. But then again, as disorganized, understaffed and poorly trained as the front line employees of the club are I am not surprised.

And good lord, let the new away jersey be red rather than plain white like all the rest of the teams are currently releasing. IMO, the only team that should get a pass on a completely unstylish and unique look to the away shirt is FCC.

tallguy, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Local sponsors as the main sponsor in a national league in the USA isn’t a very wise use of spending dollars. Guinness, OTOH would be a smart move but good luck finding a stand selling it inside the stadium :)

I think they don’t want to sell jerseys without a sponsor, playing without one wouldn’t make a difference at the end of the day. A “clean” United kit however doesn’t do the team any favors in the stands and on the streets. And without an iconic look (stripes, quarters) or a distinctive crest a solid black or white jersey walking down the street doesn’t turn any heads. But with Leidos on the front everyone knows it’s DC Untied.

Thx,

Jay!

asitis and Winoman repped this.