ATTN: Sugarman - SELL THE TEAM

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by thomas19064, Apr 8, 2017.

1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s all the same shit people were doing with Sak... defeatist attitude a long the lines of “well we can’t do anything about it, oh well”

Just cause it’s a shitty situation with unlikely odds of actual change doesn’t mean we should just plod along and not voice our displeasure.

billf and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  2. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hot takes, the Union partnering with the Sons of Ben killed the River End.

aztec21bas repped this.
  3. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue the Union not being good at soccer for a long period killed it. People still believed in '10 and '11.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, people still believed in 12 and at the start of 13

5. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the SOB have made mistakes. But the they I was referring to was the front office. When we had anti owner two poles up in 136 and banners hung from the railing they were confiscated asap by staff and all other signs around the stadiums as well.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  6. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    billf and thomas19064 repped this.
  7. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    billf and lopezzzz repped this.
  8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aim high.

9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me taking over the team with the Powerball jackpot wouldn’t fix anything. We need a Billionaire, not a millionaire.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  10. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    breslinp, DoctorD, buzzkiller23 and 2 others repped this.
  11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union under this ownership is like a manufacturing company who has spent a bunch of capital on installing the latest and greatest technology on the assembly line, but don’t have enough to spend on acquiring the best materials to make the product out of. Despite all the assembly line efforts, the product’s quality (the only thing consumers see and care about) still stinks.

CREN and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  12. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't work any better out there then it will here, but Pittsburgh Pirates fans are petitioning Major League Baseball to force a sale, since the team doesn't seem all that interested in winning.

Swap the names and it could be about us.

CITY&UNION and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'We do need to spend more, and we'll be doing that'

z

lopezzzz, buzzkiller23, drewuke and 8 others repped this.
  14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DCU has a valuation of 500 million we must be in the sa,e ballpark right? Knock 100 mill off for the older stadium and the Chester location. 400 million sounds more than fair. Time to sell Jay!

15. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well the DCU valuations include their $350M stadium....so....it’s not good news at all. Plus they’ve got a $50M training facility opening. Last year they were ranked by Forbes at $230M on ~$20M in revenue. We’re probably still in the 150-180M range, or too close to the expansion table stakes.

16. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still a $100+ million increase in valuation for Sugarman, while twiddling his thumbs for 8 seasons.

thomas19064 repped this.
  17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Union are significantly more expensive than the expansion fee and the DC sale demonstrates this. If you're paying $150m to get in, you still have to handle the stadium, academy, training facility, and assemble an organization to support that. That could easily put the sunk cost price tag at $500m or more. If you're considering that in a market smaller than Philly or DC, wouldn't $400-500m be a relative bargain for an organization with all of the building blocks in place? I'm not skilled in valuing companies, but I'd be willing to bet that if Sugarman put the team on the market for $300m it would be gone in a heartbeat. The thing is, I think they put way more than $300m into getting to this point. The DC number means we're getting to a point where cashing out may look more attractive.

thomas19064 repped this.
  18. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no expert in these matters, but does Audi Field even count towards DCU's valuation? For one, Washington DC owns the stadium, while the club is only the operator (according to wikipedia, so who really knows...). Even if the club did own it outright, there has to be a substantial debt burden from the stadium that would count against the club's valuation. Or does simply having the operating rights to a fancy new downtown stadium for the foreseeable future count towards the value of the club?

19. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Foretasted revenue goes into a valuation so DC's new stadium definitely helps the valuation. The Audi field deal has to be significantly better than the RFK deal and with it being shiny new they'll get a bump in attendance for sure. I'm no expert in valuation either and I don't think you take the $350m and add it directly to their valuation, but the new stadium definitely contributed to the figure in a positive way.

ScottyMac26, Union42 and thomas19064 repped this.
  20. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    **Forecasted. Yikes.

Starpork repped this.
  21. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Agreed, but in the “will he sell soon”category, it may be a detriment. We’re a 2010 Honda Civic with mismatched rims and a dent in the door. An expansion team has the advantages of not being in Chester or overcoming a decade of market irrelevance. So I think it underlines Jay won’t sell til after expansion when we’re the fixer-upper that looks a steal. Right now we just look in need of fixing vs building something new and shiny like LA or ATL. Those are the Tesla’s to our Civic.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything, I think its the opposite. None of the expansion opportunities available offer anything comparable to Philadelphia with respect to size. We need to look beyond Chester. The location was not a problem when the team was shiny. Put TFC in Chester lock, stock and barrel and we're talking about expanding the stadium. A new owner comes to Philly and he or she has the stadium, training facility, academy and USL team locked up and in place. It has a staff in place and an organization to tweak. Make one or two big signings to make it easier to sell ticket would do wonders. There's clearly a deep customer list there and plenty of people to get back in just pulling from people who left. Everything after that is real growth. Just because the current ownership runs the team like its Columbus doesn't mean we're Columbus.You have the potential to get far more back at 4-500m on the Union in this area than you'll get out of that spend via any of the expansion candidates.

23. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They are literally talking about putting teams in cities like Sacramento, Detroit, and Austin, which are OK places but not exactly in the same tier as Philly. A better analogy is that we’re a sports car the owner can’t afford to maintain.

billf, Phillyspur, buzzkiller23 and 4 others repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And an entry-level, base model one at that, with no bells and whistles.

Like a Porsche 944. Yeah, I drive a Porsche. Oh, but did I mention it doesn't have a radio?

25. Shakes McQueen

Apr 29, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just tell everyone you prefer hand-crank windows to electric ones.