Attention: Streamers Curtailed, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Ejected

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewfighter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. fotobass

fotobass Member

Mar 15, 2004
    You might be right. I'd love to see it get to the place where the league and the fans are all in lockstep with what's happening. It's an awesome visual, and I'd hate to see it stop.

2. Punch

Punch Member

May 18, 2007
    Worthington, OH
    It seems to me, as an outsider, the idea is to be "the twelfth man," annoy the opposing players, have some fun, get the crowd into it, maybe get the fans on TV, and generally improve the atmosphere. If so, one could get creative and do these things without throwing items actually onto the field and disrupting play. I don't the rules that well, but:

Noise would be one approach. Thundersticks, airhorns, the aforementioned cowbells, etcetera could accomplish the above.

Visuals: This would take too much coordination, but how about a card section that pointed to the opposing player with a derogatory term? Or big shiny reflectors to reflect light onto the player. A zillion of those little laser pointers (that probably is a no-no).

Streamers back and forth? Or perhaps stuff that looks like its flying on the field but doesn't (maybe streamers but hold onto the end?). Seems to me that in some countries, there's a big fence between the fans and the pitch. I'm guessing no-one wants that.

I'll bet all you creative types could come up with something...

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

You're obviously a short bus MVP who can't comprehend what I'm writing, but what the hell, I'll give it one more shot and see if I can get it to sink in through your pudding.

1. If you want to talk about smoke bombs and say that is the issue, than don't misquote what I say, take it out of context, and act like I'm the person advocating something that I am not.

2. Do you want me to give you examples where other people throw things on the field? Look at hockey for a number of examples. What about when fans storm the court/field in football and basketball? What about over a year of TFC being permitted to do it, it being lauded by the media and the MLS HQ, and no sign of any intervention until just recently about streamers. It's been shown by the league that they accept it and want it (see Garber's comments from prior to our game against New England).

3. You obviously didn't bother to read anything I wrote and seperate it from other people's comments. At no point have I said that we must maintain our rights to keep acting as people have been. You're really having trouble keeping up if you can't figure that out. Do I need to provide cliff notes and quotes for you?

4. I was not saying that people can use ignorance as an excuse to get off the hook for their behavior. What I am saying, is that it does not seem charitable or good natured towards the fans to change a policy and start kicking out and arresting people for things that 7 days ago went unpunished. It's their choice to enforce their rules how they want, but I think if they get iron fisted w/o doing a better job of informing, they're going to upset a lot of people. THIS IS WHY they need to do more than just a pre-game PA announcement. Keeping up here coach?

5. I don't really care if they've changed it or not. I'm not intending to throw a streamer, a smoke bomb, or a beer on Saturday or anytime in the future. I used to enjoy the streamers, but I'm done with it now. That was the only thing I ever advocating was good to throw at any point.

I'm done with this nonsense. Back to 2007 where it was just hands and voices.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but if they tried multiple means of communication, at least they can say they made a half-assed attempt at getting the word out.

Collect e-mail addresses of everyone in the section. As soon as there is a situation or change in policy, send an e-mail to the list, and include contact information. Tell people to pass the word around. Make this email list open to everyone, and not just group leaders.

Post signs at the bottom of the section and at all entrances. Make them huge, bright, and impossible to miss.

Have meetings every other month for fans to complain or give praise to the front office. Even if someone has an idea, let them come. The last few meetings seemed to be totally secret. True, you might be able to get more done with only 4-5 people around the table, but if we're all in this together, shouldn't we all have a voice? Open them up to EVERYONE with an interest in the section, and not just people who are part of it.

5. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ, this thread sucks.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good points.

If i'm in the 15th row, and am flinging a flimsy plastic cup to the field, there's no way it'll get there. The worst that'll happen is that anyone standing beneath the cup as it passes will get a shower.

They already do use plastic cups in the stadium club, so why not expand to the rest of the stadium? If a roving beer vendor has to spend an extra minute pouring a beer into a cup, so be it. At least that bottle won't be launched.

You do make the undercover agent sound like a bad idea and bring up a good point. What if some fan doesn't believe the guy when he says he's undercover? Hopefully a huge melee doesn't break out while 15 of the fan's posse defend him against "Mr. Beasley."

7. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

Actually, I usually tune out with your first childish remark. Does your mommy know you're using the computer again?

8. CrewMurphy2

CrewMurphy2 New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, are we really trying to degrade people for their age again? That does show maturaty.

We're all Crew fans, so we should all get along right? Well except for some Holligans down front.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha! So says the hypocrite? Well, too bad, but I guess we need to fulfill our quota for ignorant Crew fans, thanks for volunteering.

How much longer until lock this thread for being worthless?

10. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll start the bidding at 1 hour.

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH

Hey, awesome! Way to be a dick!

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, and OSU v. ND game was how many years ago?

There's been a lot of "taming down" both inside, and outside, of the stadium ever since the crackdowns were started.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

I think Kaiser contributes slightly more than you do.

One more for the ignore list.

14. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea, this thread can be closed too, you guys are ridiculous sometimes. It's the internet, if you feel a need to have such a "heated" debate, exchange information and meet at the local Panera Bread for a cocksquable. sheesh! :-D

15. namesaregone

namesaregone Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

16. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gee, I thought I was quite patient with his personal attacks. But I guess if you must pound the table.

By all means, take your ball and run home.

I believe a blowhard was being insulting for a number of posts, I refused to keep putting up with it. Believe as you like, but his lack of maturity was showing.

17. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Fair enough, everyone got a bit heated. Let's lock this bad boy.

Have fun this w/e folks.

18. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you know what that means:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that who we're playing against in Special Game B?

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Boobies!!

21. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team: