Attention: Streamers Curtailed, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Ejected

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewfighter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. fotobass

fotobass Member

Mar 15, 2004
    But, I can't...read...

(Two beers for anyone who picks up where that little Monty Python obscurity is from...)

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The bookshop. I always wondered what happened when Ethel the Aardvark went quantity surveying.

5. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Worse than a guy in a Beasley jersey. There will probably be a random guy in a Peyton Manning Pro Bowl jersey patrolling Arrowhead Stadium next year.

6. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    For the 8th time, we don't know if the policy exists or not do we?

I've been pretty emphatic that my beef lies with the C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N, or lack thereof.

7. fotobass

fotobass Member

Mar 15, 2004
    I goofed.

I should've said 'two beers to the FIRST one...' but I didn't. Both the PMer and POd get their beer.

PM me, POd. I'm a purchaser of my word.

8. smithnwesson

smithnwesson New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    I just bought birthday presents for my wife, and have exactly 2 cents left over...

First, we have to remember that the Crew is here for one reason: to make money. In their mind, the monetary gain they could receive form having a "festive" atmosphere that involves throwing anything on the field is negated and then some by the possible lawsuits that could ensue from someone gettng hurt, and any fines that might eventually come if the league decides to get anal about enforcing their policies.

Bottom line: throwing anything on the field has more of a chance to cost the Crew money than make it for them. So they're banning it.

But here are some things that I am surprised they are not attempting to do:

- Search people before they enter the section for smoke bombs. Won't catch everyone, but it might catch a few. Since there are only a few that do it anyway, that might be all you need.

- Stop selling beer in bottles. Taking the lids off isn't enough; sell it in cups and even if it's thrown from 5 feet away, the beer cup won't be nearly as dangerous as a half full beer bottle.

- Rig the coin toss so the Crew always comes toward the stage in the 2nd half. I know it's a FIFA rule, but the New England fiasco wouldn't have had a chance to happen if Ralston's free kick happens in the southwest corner and Dube celebrates 300 feet away from the Nordecke. If there's any way to get a safety exemption, they should try to do it.

- Put every CSC guard in clearly marked uniforms. That way, fans can have someone to turn to if they want to turn someone in, and the beer and smoke-throwers will know up-front who can and will throw them out.

Also, the people who don't know that "Beasley" is actually real security might be empowered to get physical with someone they shouldn't. By having these "spies", they are not only doing nothing to prevent smoke bombs, but are encouraging something far more dangerous: power trips by loser fans who think they are more important than they are.

9. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

How many people do you really think don't know that smoke bombs are anathema? I think it's even mentioned in the pregame video announcements. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to get it. They don't care about the rules, they shouldn't care about the consequences. Being a fan and buying a ticket is not an "act like an idiot" license. Sadly, when you look at Philly, you realize that even moving a courtroom into the stadium is still not enough of a deterrent to some slow learners.

10. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lack of communication is your problem 9 Rush. If your telling us that you've tried and tried to get a hold of someone from the front office and ask about all of this, or any concern you've had with how they deal with issues then maybe your right. But from my experiences dealing with Mark, Chris, Scott, Ryan and the rest of the leadership from the Front Office is that they will do everything in their power to bend over backwards and help assist in the growing of the Supporter Culture we have created. Maybe it wasn't always like that and people still have some scar's. But until you can honestly say you've done more then check a website which had information on it that wasn't up-to-date.... Id kindly ask you to shut the hell up.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't usually sit in that section, so feel free to tell me to piss off, but my thoughts are as follows:

1) I love the section. It is fantastic. Best atmosphere at CCS in years.
    2) Smoke bombs should be banned, that could seriously hurt someone. I have no problem with people getting thrown out for that. I'd point you out myself if I saw you.
    3) Streamers: more indifferent. Can't hurt anyone. But it seems kind of stupid to me. At home, why help the other team waste time? Especially late in the NE game, my head wanted to explode. After goals or wins, go crazy.
    4) Bottles. This whole thing is retarded. PLASTIC BOTTLES. Not going to hurt anyone. Still boneheaded though.

Carry on.

12. fotobass

fotobass Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, by the same logic, we don't know whether they've been banned totally, either.

13. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are smoke bombs banned from the stadium altogether? Or just from being thrown on the field (which is asinine to do)? I don't think there is a problem with lighting them as long as they stay in the stands.

Now I will go back to watch the bickering continue in this thread. Carry on.

14. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok we need to have a Fan Forum with McCullers and FO people. since Communication is the big factor here we need to hear it from them and their concerns. Also they need to hear our concerns then set the ground rules. how can we obey their wishes when the wrong thing is said/posted?

15. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

Look here Chirs, get off your high horse with me because you're reading comprehension is letting you down. My comment was with reference to throwing of anything, because at the time it was written, it was unclear what the hell was going on and if they were going to be hauling people off for throwing streamers. Use a little common sense when you re-read what I wrote. You really think I'm playing a percentages game with the miniscule number of people using smoke bombs when I say there is a chance that somebody might throw something w/o knowing the new code of conduct?

Also, point out to me where I've even once indicated that buying a ticket gives people the right to do as they want when they want? In fact, you're going to find that I write the exact opposite, that people have to play by the rules of their hosts. While you're doing your research, you'll also find a post from today where I mention that those pre-game announcements cannot be heard (for the most part) in the Nordecke when you have people all going crazy with pre-game chants to welcome the team onto the field. Plus, you're expecting a lot of loud, drunken louts to hear it, comprehend it, and then make logical behavioral decissions based upon it? Come on, get serious.

All I'm advocating is that somebody, I don't care who, but somebody who gets the official word from the top, put this policy in bold painted letters on some damn poster board and hold it up in front of 139, 140, 141, 142, and 101. Hold it up as the game is starting and people are walking in. Hold it up when before the second half. Hold it up when the ball comes towards the corner and goes out of bounds for a throw or a corner kick. Whatever timing is needed. Because while I know you don't throw smoke bombs onto the field, there seems to be a lot of waffeling about how streamers can be used.

16. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there will be plenty of people who are going to tell you how dangerous it is and how just having it in the stands you run the risk of hurting your fellow fans, or catching somebody's polyesters track suit on fire.

These smoke bombs are so dangerous that the Crew staff are picking them up with their bare hands to carry them off the field. I mean, that's so insane! They're going to get short term disability for their time spent in the burn ward recovering from performing their duties.

Look, here's the thing. Smoke bombs aren't dangerous if used responsibly. You can hold it without burning your hands (depending on the type, some do get pretty warm near the end). However, the problem is that for every person who would use them responsibly, there are plenty of others who won't or can't (either due to disposition or intoxication, for example).

At the bare minimum, I'd like it if the stadium crew could get their smoke machine fixed before the Chicago game so that at least we have that available to us.

17. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only problem with this logic is that I didn't get an email or phone call about any of this. And for a major policy change regarding the Supporters Section, I'd sorta expect that to happen.

19. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not trying to be belligerent, I'm truly trying to see this for what it is......are you then saying that you think there is no change in policy? Because I'm with you, the FO aren't complete morons (say what you will), and given your relationship with them recently I think you would have been their first contact about this.

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    The policy has been no smoke bombs since the beginning, and no streamers that interfere with play ever since Garber decided to change his mind mid-season and mandate that it stop, it's a league wide policy...so in essence the policy hasn't changed.

I think the call to HSH was a friendly reminder after all the smoke bombs that were tossed from the stands, that it must stop immediately as they are going to take severe actions. Same goes for the streamers interupting play - my guess was the Crew FO got a call from Mister Garber himself.

21. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, we should be so honored that the king deigned to stoop so low as to call a 614 number himself.

22. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Well, at least then we might have a real need for people to be in the second deck on game day since the attendance doesn't seem to force it...

23. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm sure someone else actually touched the keys and dialed, though. One can only stand so much filth.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if there is going to be an offical release from the FO? I am reading through all the post and I understand that smoke bombs and throwing things on the field have been banned from the beginning so now they are just going to enforce the rule? Is that what this is all about?

25. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valid point. The phone was probably destroyed after the call was completed, too.