Attention: Streamers Curtailed, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Ejected

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewfighter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

Everyone just needs to calm down, it is not true about Streamers being prohibited. Obviously we know they aren't supposed to be thrown at players/officials, or distrupt the run of play. Fans have continually done this every game since they put that rule out. We need to abide by this ruling otherwise harsher restrictions will be applied.

Smoke bombs however have never been legal to throw or light in the stadium. Which is the real concern of what went on last Saturday. Way to many smoke bombs were lit and thrown, which could be potentially dangerous. They are cracking down on throwing smoke bombs, saying that anyone that throws/lights a smoke bomb will be ejected.

Is that such a horrifying request?
    In my opinion its justified from the Crew Front Office, they are just abiding to the League guidelines & restrictions which when violated can include hefty fines.

So is throwing a tiny smoke bomb onto the field worth having your team fined because you think its cool? No.

Once the Crew starts to lose money because of actions its customers are making then they will react, and will most likely be harsher then just being kicked out of the stadium.

So everyone just calm down, streamers are legal still for celebrations, lets just do the red/white/blue streamer freedom celebration after the Pledge on Saturday and show how we can be responsible and continue to improve the atmosphere with our ideas through cheering, chants and other creative means.

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

A voice of reason amongst the storm...

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If anyone does, please please please jump up and down yelling "come see the violence inherent in the system"

4. HsH_Crew

HsH_Crew New Member

May 28, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ok so I just got off the phone and got the official release read to me and he is goin to e mail it to me i shall post it as soon as soon as i receive it.

The jist of things is simply Absolutely no smoke bombs no surprise there. Thats fine with me we knew that all along they are just going to enforce that harder.

Regarding streamers they are just going to enforce the use of streamers that interrupt play. That is coming down from the league not our front office. As far as all our other uses we are good to go. So the Red, White, and Blue streamers for the national anthem is a go, and we can still celebrate with them

Apparently there was a big communication mix up among ppl within the FO thats why we recieved the absolute wrong message!! So all is well PEACE to everyone moving on

5. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I think (not this game but maybe like RSL or something) all wear USMNT jerseys like the Narc does. Freak him out.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So we can call off the lynch mob with the pitchforks then?

7. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a narc, he's undercover security, who is looking to weed out the people throwing smoke bombs.

Do you have a problem with that?

If you have a problem with the way he deals with you or one of your friends who isn't throwing a smoke bomb or throwing streamers at players call Ryan Smith and let him know. He will take care of any unprofessional security guard or police officer.

8. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so no streamers during corner kicks right? if so, you might want to make that clear to everyone.

and i am starting to think that people on this board don't know what a narc is.

9. HsH_Crew

HsH_Crew New Member

May 28, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    YES LOL Call of the lynch mob

It would appear that way the league wants no interruption of play. Im waiting for him to send me the e-mail that came down so i can post it for all to see. But if the league is saying we cant on corner kicks and we continue to do so I guarantee they will be left with no choice but to ban them entirely. SO PLZ PLZ ppl lets be responsible with streamers this week we dont need this to happen.

10. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, just redirect them back to Garber for blocking our Noonan transaction. *holds torch away from the people extinguishing theirs*

11. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    He's not very good "undercover" security since:

1. He always wears the same thing.
    2. We all know who he is.
    3. He wears a USMNT jersey to a Crew game
    4. Has a presence that jumps out at you, just like a narc in high school.

I was trying to help him out a little. You know, throw him a bone. If we all dressed in USMNT kits it would help him blend in. Then we could catch these culprits.

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ohh man I just lit my torch and sharpened my pitchfork

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am worried that the people who do not spend there lifes here on BS are not going to be properly made away of this rule. I hope the FO does like a PA announcment about it at the game as well as signs or something.

14. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got off the phone with CrewFighter and he wanted me to say this for him:

15. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they first laid down the "don't interfere with play" doctrine, i took that as including NOT throwing during cornerkicks. thats why i wasn't shocked when i saw the previous (and now known to be WRONG) info that all streamers were being banned.

i assumed it was because this rule had not been followed the past few weeks.

all you people who were mad about your streamers being taken, how would you feel about being allowed to have streamers but NO STREAMERS during a corner? although i guess we can just wait to see what the real rule is before speculating, but whats the fun in that. but i think thats how it will come down.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Ryan Smith is still there? That's the horse's ass who told me I was not the type of fan the Crew wanted and I should not return because I wore a banana suit to the stadium. Nice thing to say to a multi year season ticket holder. I listened and so did my friends. That attitude can easily explain the attendance numbers.

Does the Crew really need to send undercover officers? Anyone else find that silly? Overzealous? If you think Smith will take care of anyone being unprofessional you are being naive.

17. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Surely you jest or you are just so retaaahded that you were able to pen such rubbish. Ya, it's Ralston's fault that this is happening and not your boorish behavior. I usually don't talk on other team's boards but this one can't hang out there in space without swift retort.

You numbskulls could have injured him and it obviously wasn't going to change but only get worse. Kudos for the Crew FO for dealing with it before something really bad happened.

Cheers from lovely New England, where a mind is not a bad thing to have.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    If the front office does not make it known some way VERY PROMINENTLY what the streamer policy is before this game, it shows they are not dealing in good faith.

They want to have all the control of policing the crowd without any of the responsibility for preventing problematic situations. What that says to me is that they are focusing on catching people at doing something instead of deterring them in the first place.

This is where the undercover thing is stupid. If they were serious about it, they'd place a half-dozen to 10 stewards EASILY IDENTIFIED in the stands, walking up and down the aisles. That way, the ne'er-do-wells and the honestly ignorant (because of not spending half their lives in this forum) alike will have the benefit of knowing there will be immediate consequences.

The assholes will always be assholes, and there's no way to prevent them from screwing the rest of us. That's where security among the crowd enters their prosecution duties. But prevention duties can be helped a bunch by putting easily identified uniformed people throughout. Not everything can be prevented, but something like that will help.

This undercover bullshit is merely a way to impose a "gotcha" regime.

What I really want to see is signs one CANNOT MISS surrounding the section and the stewards "controlling access" actually earning a bit of their pay by issuing verbal notices at their discretion.

THAT would show a good faith effort. What they're doing here is still setting up the section to fail, because, let's face it, there's only a small percentage of the Nordecke who are big enough losers to spend significant portions of their time reading BigSoccer.

Even public press releases aren't enough. Who scours the local newswire looking for supporter-related press releases?

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH

DIAF.

Ralston purposely exaggerated things.

Was what happened reprehensible? Yep. Just about everyone here agreed.

20. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    We're all here to watch soccer and to support our team, in that order. The streamers are fun and all but not essential. If they end up taking them away, we'll just have to raise our voices to fill that space.

21. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Go share you ideas and concerns with Ryan Smith, 614-447-4102. He deals with Security and the Police. Explain your issues with the crowd control techniques currently being used and let us know what you find out.

However, some of your comments are off base. We have security all around our sections, above and below, cameras are watching us from the top of the stage and we all know of the undercovers. How is that not deterring people from doing illegal things?

I'd rather have two undercovers then multiple security men patrolling the stands. In my opinion, that would be much much worse then a couple of guys in half assed soccer garb doing their job.

22. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think that sounds better :)

23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whatever, he was hit with a tire iron.

[​IMG]

24. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that we all know who he is probably doesnt make his presence any less effective. I would venture to guess that the no one who reads these boards with any regularity throws smoke bombs onto the field. It is the random epople who show up looking for a crazy time and get carried away.

That said, is it necesarry for him to be "undercover?" I don't think so. I think putting people in uniform in the stands would have the same effectiveness. Perhaps the guise is supposed to make poeple feel more comfortable

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I know what security is there. Trust me. But I know in part through observation on game day, but also in large part because I post and read here. What I'm talking about is the people who DON'T spend time here, who DON'T get every little press release or the other and think that nothing significant has changed in policy or enforcement since the prior game.

It's THOSE people who might get ********ed and in turn ******** the rest of us.

The problem with that is that undercover stuff is enforcement ONLY. It's reactionary and ex post facto policy. If you want to ensure that people are deterred, go ahead and put uniformed stewards in the aisles.

Using only a few undercover and semi-cover enforcement people, along with video and eyes from below sets up the whole area to fail because one or two people didn't get the message. And for God's sake, are they going to take responsibility for making their policies known? Press releases don't cut it. E-mails to you don't cut it.

Engaging the existing ushers and stewards and beefy security crew in spreading the message early and often doesn't take much effort and can go a long, long way.