Attending game in Portugal - advice needed

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by glennaldo_sf, Nov 24, 2018.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey there, I have a quick question I was hoping you guys could answer for me really quickly. I am planning to go to Cape Verde Islands in March and it looks like one way to get there from Qatar is via Portugal. I was thinking to do a couple of days in Lisbon, then a couple of days in CV. Anyhoo, like I always do I went to see if there'd be any football in town and low and behold Porto vs Benfica is on Sunday, March 3! I know it's Estadio Drago, but this would definitely be one game worth staying an extra day or two for.

I wanted to ask about tickets + possible restrictions to games. I'm on the Porto ticketing website and they don't seem to have tickets open for public purchase for anything but the upcoming 3 games. I guess that's normal? There are tickets available on Viagogo and other third parties but is this a safe bet? I just wanted to make sure that attending a game in Portugal is fairly straight forward, ie buy your ticket, go to the game, scan your ticket and the gate and watch the game. Or do they check for names on tickets, fan ID, etc stuff like that? I know it's90% chance the former, but pardon my naivety - I attended a Bologna vs Padova game last summer in Italy and they not once, but twice checked everyone's ID + name on ticket to make sure they matched. So I want to make sure it's not the same before going ahead and buying via a 3rd party.

Thanks, any advice would be much appreciated!

2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It is normal for only the next three games tickets to be available. I have not gone to Portos stadium but at Benficas you only need the ticket, no other checks are made, I suspect the Same for Porto.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  3. Arrows

Arrows Member

Vitoria SC/Belenenses/Aarau
    Portugal
    Oct 29, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have caught matches of Belenenses, Boavista and Vit. Guimaraes at all 3 of those stadiums it was walk up on match day and purchase tickets... mind you none of the big 3 were involved in any of those matches so that could make things different.

glennaldo_sf repped this.