Atmosphere at Aztex games?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by USAROB, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oi u all have by now seen tha "Gaffer" on the armies site many a time.

Well I prepose that if the army does end up getting a dog for a mascot we should get one as close to "The Gaffer's" demensions and looks as possible. :D

2. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok we need to either

1. Set a booth up at Eyores

or

2. Just March right into the drum circle and make our pressence known cus this is just too good.

I mean even if a handfull of these people are in the least bit interested in football can u immagine if they keep comming to the games?
    [​IMG]

Our match atmosphere would be the envy of not just the State, not just the league, but of the whole bloody country.

I mean come on guys I know a few of you have been to Eyores, or have friends who go frequently, or some kind of connection to the event.

LETS KEEP THE AZTEX GAMES WEIRD

3. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    k this is my last post for the day.

And I really, really, hope u guys consider my suggestion about Eyoers over the offseason, regardles of where we end up playing.

And the same goes for my call for Song Book entries.

:D Chantico Be with Us :eek:

4. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might interest a few of you, I found a site, and an address, for a custome sports flag shop.

Here's their Address. 4508 Merle Drive Austin, TX 78745

And a Link to their Site.

http://www.allamericanflagsandbanners.com/contact.html

Check um out, especially if any of u lads live in the area.

5. JC Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 12, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Atmosphere.

Although I really enjoyed what was going down on the pitch, the atmosphere at some of the games was a little flat at times, especially as we reached the end of the season.

Apart from the stamping of feet at free kicks, corners etc ( my daughter loves this part), and clapping and stamping their feet along to 'We will rock you', most of the crowd just didn't seem to know what to do, or didn't understand what usually happens with footy crowds.

The announcer at the first game was very good when he kept trying to get the crowd involved by shouting 'Let's hear it for your Austin Aztex'. That always seemed to get the crowd going. The drummers in the later games tried to help somewhat, but usually they just ended up singing 'Come on Aztex' by themselves. I thank them for their valiant effort anyway. Most of the crowd just didn't seem to realize what was acceptable for a soccer crowd.

Now feel free to slap me when you see me for suggesting this, but do you think the introduction of cheerleaders would improve the atmosphere? I know that traditionally cheerleaders and soccer do not go together, but if people see 'official' cheerleaders trying to get the crowd going, then hopefully they will feel more comfortable and join in and create a better atmosphere. I think it's important to get the crowd involved more and make it a fun experience so that the casual attendee will want to come back.

Thoughts?

Jim

6. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    K Jim first off Chanticos Army should = Band/Cheerleaders. All we need is a megaphone an enough members an we'll get the whole bleedin crowd singin before kickoff.

But if ya still whant skinny, airheaded, OMG girls wearin skimpy outfits and wavin friggin pompoms, go to any nearby by highschool/college, or NFL throw ball game. :D

7. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim,

I agree, that there were some matches when it was quiet. I think you're right in that for some they didn't know really how to react, cheer, etc. Some (and I'm in this group), I don't really enjoy participating in the ongoing cheering, as I can't do that and watch the match (I'm a unitasker). I admire those that can, and feel it does add a lot to a matches environment. I know that one issue we had is that there was no dedicated "Supporters Group" are in Dragon Stadium. This is something that the Aztex have said they're fixing in the next season. This will be a place that we can all sit and have a combined voice. There are several groups that we need to bring together for a combined voice. We also will need to add things like flags, banners, etc as football is about all the senses being stimulated.

Personally, I hate cheerleaders at a match, but then I'm a bit of a Eurosnob purist who believes they have no place in proper football. But then, it wouldn't be the first time that I've been accused of being a curmudgeon.

Next season will be much better I think. We're spending a lot of time talking about the atmosphere at our get togethers (you can find and track these at www.chanticosarmy.com), so come on down and join the conversation. We're doing things in the offseason that will put us in a great position to make more noise next season for both the PDL and USL1 teams.

8. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And this could be one of our first orders :D

[​IMG]

9. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the Aztex don't get cheerleaders. Although I generally like scantily clad young ladies just fine, I think it makes a terrible statement to the kids in attendance at a match. I'd much rather my daughter be inspired by the players than by silly pretty gals bouncing around on the sideline in tiny skirts.

American football is different; if a girl wants to participate in some way, cheerleading is pretty much the only way to do so. That will remain the case unless and until girl's football teams ever become widespread. But as we all know, soccer is different. Girls and women that want to participate in soccer can do so as players, with all the guts, glory and magic that entails (e.g., Christiane's fantastic goal, Brazil vs. Nigeria).

Besides, with a women's team possibly being out there in the future for the Aztex, how would that work? Would they have cheerleaders, too?

Lastly, and more to Hotspur's point, I don't think cheerleaders really "lead" any cheering anyway. Sure, *they* cheer, but do they ever really get the crowd going? Not that I've seen. If anything, I'd say they're just another part of the show, and would encourage people to sit back more passively and watch.

10. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I don't feel the need to make a lot of noise at sporting events. Showing up to the game and paying money to get in is the biggest sign of support. I have never been to a premier league game but I know that most games are not that raucous in Spain's first division. Of course it's exciting to attend games with a lot of atmosphere but I think it takes time to build fervent supporters. You can't just be coerced to 'make some noise', it's not the same thing.

11. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a eurosnob, but I have never seen cheerleaders do anything but distract at a soccer game. With two years to go for a women's Aztex team, I also agree that it might be a bit of an issue. I'd rather watch some good women's soccer than "cheerleaders" that don't lead anyone in cheering.

I also think that the announcer bringing people into the game is probably your best bet. One reason I used to enjoy the Ice Bats in the beginning was the announcer. Bob Fonseca from KLBJ FM's morning show could really get the crowd going. Its amazing how a good commentator can do that. It is a fine line, though. Some people really overdo the commentary.

I think the supporters group section is an excellent idea. I still like the "pocket songbook" idea to get the other people into the chants, too.

12. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree, I think some people are loudmouth obnoxious fans (like myself) and other people stand and clap for good plays. It takes all kinds of fans, but the best ones paid for a seat and sat in it, in my opinion.

13. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    After all of the critisism of the announcer in the first game, I think they strayed away from cheerleading announcing for a while. That may pick up again a little next season but you are right, it's a fine line.

14. JC Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 12, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I did say you could give me a slap for suggesting cheerleaders :)

To be honest, I've never been to a sporting event that uses cheerleaders so I can't comment on how successful they are at getting the crowd involved. I'm English, so the cheerleader thing is pretty alien to me anyway. It was just a suggestion as one way to get the crowd involved. As cheerleaders are a popular sight at some US sporting events, these seemed the most likely candidates to lead the lines.

Whereas I think the idea of Chantico's Army leading the way is a good start, the point that I was trying to make is that people may be reluctant to make noise if it just means joining in with the noisy bunch in the corner ;) and would feel more comfortable with an 'official' focal point like cheerleaders leading them.

As I just mentioned, I'm from England, London in fact, and I'm a life long Tottenham fan and have been going to live games there since I was a kid. The atmosphere at Premiership games can be fantastic when the crowd gets involved. For those of you that follow the game in Britain, how many times have you heard a player in an after the game interview say "the crowd really lifted us today" or "the crowd was like a 12th man today"? I love the beautiful game, but I'm the first to admit that it isn't always a thrill ride for 90 minutes and there are times in a game when the standard drops and the game gets 'lost'. Having a vocal crowd can then really lift a team and push them on. A question. Why do teams crave home advantage? Part of the reason is surely because of the support they receive at home, the 12th man effect.

I know cheering and getting involved is not for everyone. I'm not a singer. I'm not one for singing along as such at games, but I do chant now and again such as "Come on Aztex, Come on Aztex", and I do clap along to 'We will rock you'. The effects of making noise and reminding the players on the field that we are there supporting them shouldn't be underestimated. In my opinion, this is an important part of the live soccer experience. I take my daughter to games and she can't wait to get involved with the chanting and making noise. For her, that is all part of the experience. She is connecting with her heroes on the field. I see lots of other kids in the crowd at the Aztex games doing the same too.

We all pay our money to attend and the important thing is to just enjoy the game as you do best, but if we do move to House Park or somewhere similar and we can get crowds of a few thousands, I'm sure if we make lots of noise, it will do more to attract the passer by outside on Lamar (or wherever). If people hear that there's something going on within the stadium that is making people react and join in, hopefully it will make them take note and look into what's causing the commotion and hopefully join us.

Jim

15. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham, one of the things that I do believe was hard at Dragon Stadium was that we had great crowds, but we were all on one side of the pitch so you couldn't feed the crowd off of itself. That's something that almost every other team uses (Parkhead is one that I've experienced directly). That's why I love House is that it has finite seating around 4,000, and seating is on both side with a steep angle so the crowd is almost on top of the pitch. I so hope we get House, as I think it would in and of itself help the noise levels. Even if we have a small group of supporters starting it, the spread may be viral.

I'd love to have other teams quake at coming to Austin as the crowds are so vocal.

16. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham, one of the things that I do believe was hard at Dragon Stadium was that we had great crowds, but we were all on one side of the pitch so you couldn't feed the crowd off of itself. That's something that almost every other team uses (Parkhead is one that I've experienced directly). That's why I love House is that it has finite seating around 4,000, and seating is on both side with a steep angle so the crowd is almost on top of the pitch. I so hope we get House, as I think it would in and of itself help the noise levels. Even if we have a small group of supporters starting it, the spread may be viral.

I'd love to have other teams quake at coming to Austin as the crowds are so vocal.

17. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that one of the reasons beyond tradition that cheerleading is not as successful in soccer is that there is not as much stopping of the play. In American football, basketball, etc. there are numerous play stoppages, time outs, and the like. These are usually the times in which the cheerleaders try to engage the crowd.

18. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok this video just about made me cry. I really, really, felt the connnection with all our fellow Ultras everywhere, and every era, after I watched this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-aAjOrsZmE

VIVA LA FUTBALL REVOLUTION

19. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watch the how to move a stadium vid in the related vid section.

Yeah, you guessed right THEY MOVE the stadium, now thats pretty impressive in anyone book.

20. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen Barrov :)

And who knows, CArmy on the stomp some day :D.

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This video is, in immages and words, the reason why I am Alejo Loco Soldier Warior and Hardcore Aztec till the Very End and why until either I, or the team dies Chantico forbid, I will support no other squad with my lifes marrow blood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vzqGB4WLkY

'I THINK I AM, I'M SURE I AM, AZTEXAN TILL I DIE." :D

COR UNUM

VIVA AZTEX

22. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check this little tid bit out from the Charelston Forums, this was posted by a Chicago Fire fan.

So after the Fire/DCU game last Saturday at Toyota Park, after a tough loss as I was leaving the stadium, I yelled out to a group of DCU fans, "Go Battery!!" They kinda just looked at me and laughed.

Ellitest Bastards I say. :mad:

COME ON YOU CANNON SWABBERS!!!

COME ON YOU YELLOW AND BLACKs

FOR THE USL

FOR THE UNDERDOGS

23. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have laughed at them too. You think Fire fans give a crap about the Battery or USL? They lost and were crying about it. Thats what losers do. The next chance they get to talk trash about USL they will take it. Don't be so naive.

24. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huh soo what your sayin is I shouldn't take nothin from no MLS squad fan, and that in the fire guys case he was just winning and hopin on the Battery band wagon for a single breath so as ta get an immage of them, DC, loosin to a "Second Rate in his and their collective minds" squad???

Huh K I'll take that with a grain a salt an see how it tastes :D

25. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that at Longhorn games, despite hordes of die-hard fans, the crowds are notorious for being quiet and leaving early. Austin is just not a blue color town like say Columbus (for which every day I am eternally grateful) with lots of rowdy angry folks. The Army can certainly bring some noise, but I image the average fan will be happy just sitting and watching the game. And that is certainly their right.

I need a bullhorn, some roman candles, and a large slingshot w/ a bag full of kitties. Then I will be ready for opening day. :)