Atmosphere at Aztex games?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by USAROB, Jun 30, 2008.

1. USAROB

USAROB New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am new to Austin from L.A. A season ticket holder last year for the Galaxy. I am excited about the Aztex/USL next year - I will be at least at a few games next year and will drag the kids along with me. I am wondering about what type of following we can expect from the Austin crowd - Soccer moms? Hard-core immigrants? Hopefully a little of everything with a safe atmosphere. The team has all the control in the world to provide that by marketing correctly and providing safe parking lots and stands.

2. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have fires.

3. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Mans' red flower

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolded the relevant part above. I'd say that's a pretty good description of the league and Open Cup games so far.

Tigres game was an exception... and the 'excitement' was sequestered on the other side of the field, which isn't open for regular games.

Who knows how things will be next year with USL-1. I haven't heard anything about where the team will play. They've done well in Round Rock, but I know people here and elsewhere are hopeful that they'll play at House Park.

My suggestion: Come out to one of the two games that are left Thursday and Sunday night. I expect that it'll give you an idea of how things'll be next year.

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

7. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My perception is that for a PDL team (and I've been to the away games in Laredo, Houston and DFW) we have an amazing environment both from numbers and noise. We had the head of the PDL in Austin for Friday night's game (even he was amazed at the piss poor officiating), he gave us some insight into other PDL divisions and the uniqueness of Austin was reinforced.

So what is the mood? A mix of various experiences. I would imagine similar to what you had in LA, where you've got families and hard core fans (we even have drum beaters and some guys dressing as indians). We have folks who like to scream and yell (yeah, I'm that A**hole 4 rows behind you) to both support the team and remind the refs of their questionable genetic background. Last night was really unique, but then, Tigres is Primera Division and not the same as PDL (equivalent is if a top flight MLS came to Austin).

The good news is that if you would like a certain environment, you can get in early and start to form it. We'd love to have you up by the press box (just follow the yelling), beating a drum, stomping your feet, or even sitting there enjoying a quality game of football. Just come and support your Aztex.

8. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Surely Aztecs are in an odd situation as everyone knows that they are not really supporting a PDL-team?...I would imagine that it would make a difference anyway.

9. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    The atmosphere has been pretty tame. Nothing like England, for example. It's safe to bring your kids, if that's what you're wondering.

10. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Having been to several matches in the UK, most particularly Old Firm matches in Glasgow where I've wondered if I'm safe being there, the Aztex are a bit on the Lawrence Welk side. Having said that, it's nice that families can come without worrying about little Johnnie or Jill, and I would imagine that we will get louder as we get in the groove of things.

As I mentioned in the Tigres post, I love passion, but tempered with quality judgement (i.e. no fires, bottle throwing, fighting in the stands, racism, etc.).

11. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I've never been to a match either, but I'm assuming the crowd may grow once we're in USL1?

Also, does anyone know if the stadium is changing in '09...I've played at Round Rock HS, the pitch is pretty horrible and Round Rock is a little bit far from Austin. I hope it goes to House Park, that would be awesome! I drove by the other day, the resurfacing seems to be going well...

12. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    I'm not even sure that a majority of the people at the games know the difference between USL and PDL. You're right though, the field at Dragon is really hard to play on. I don't like it at all.

13. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    I think the atmospheres at US sporting events are tame/safe almost anywhere. If you go to a UT football game you can usually hear your own cell phone ring even though you are surrounded by 85,000 people. Baseball is the same thing, but probably even less noisy.
    I think the fact that our team is winning, we involve the youth soccer groups, and the hispanic community almost every game are key in building a lasting team. I am really amazed at how professional and well run things have been. Obviously, the connection to Stoke City doesn't hurt bring in talented young players to make the game exciting.

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that the surface was just recently redone. From watching, it doesn't seem to be that bad a surface. But I'm not a player, and have no idea what the players think.

The only really tough thing that I see are the lines. And, sadly, that will be the situation at any artificial field in Austin.

I do expect that there'll be more attendance for the USL-1 team. Can't really guess how much. I would expect an increase because the team will advertise more, and I have the impression that the team will get more English-language media coverage with the pro team. After having followed the team now for this season, I consistently underestimate them. So I'm going to push my envelope and be optimistic.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, unless we get to host the playoffs, Sunday night is your last chance! We win and we win the division. You should come out and get an appetizer for next season!;)

16. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My wife and I went to only our 2nd Austin game on friday evening and really enjoyed it ( I was the fat n forty yr old wearing the Arsenal top :eek: )

We are planing on bringing some our children & some friends and their kiddos to this sunday's night game as its a worthy team to adopt and support.

So hopefully we should add a dozen onto the attendance:D

We are an English ex-pat family based in Leander (where !! shouts the City slickers) North of Cedar Pk on the 183

See you tomorrow.

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I remember seeing someone in Arsenal somewhere. Well, at least it's red!;)

Out of curiosity, if the team did end up downtown at House Park next year, would y'all come in for games? I know nothing about the odds of where the team will play next year, just curious.

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

18. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My family would attend (we would have attended more of this years games but we,ve only recently discovered the Aztecs and the recent fixtures clashed with other stuff we were already commited to do.)
    but the others we are trying to "get the addiction to footie/soccer" probably would'nt.

There is a interest in Soccer/Footie out here in the boonies:p

19. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    It sure would be nice if I didn't have to drive 26 miles and back to attend a game next year, but I'd drive to San Antonio if I had to.

But a grass turf field without gridiron lines, in Austin, where beer could be sold, would be awesome. Hopefully someday... Maybe the Aztex will make a deal with St. Ed's (who has a grass pitch) like Laredo Heat did with A&M International where Aztex build seating and lights in exchange for use of the field?

20. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    House park is in an ideal location, is a decent facility, and is getting resourfaced. I think its great!

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, so you don't get the idea that anything is certain -- I'm just asking out of my own curiosity. There's quite a few folks that would love them to be at House despite the skinnier field (me being one of them -- I drive right by there on my way home from work, and would ride the bus on weekend games).

But I have no information on what the team will do next year.

22. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Yeah I understand that.

I was trying to think of other venues, Burger would be cool if the football lines were ditched, but its used so frequently by HS sports I don't think its plausable.

UT has the Myers stadium for soccer, that would be awesome!
    [​IMG]

23. willyaddy

willyaddy New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Austin
    Ultimately if gas and other costs keep rising the Aztexs will have to train and play in place that will provide other (second) jobs to players. Current practice location is 26 mile round trip from central Austin. Playing pitch is 45 mile round trip. 300 miles a week in Austin traffic with costs isn't easy.

24. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one's been brought up several times. Besides it being too large, it'll never happen. UT won't ever rent out any of their stadiums to anyone.

I think the only reason the Wranglers get to play in the drum is because it's been a concert venue for some time, so it's a special case.

The Dynamo tried to rent Myers for a CONCACAF game, and UT wouldn't let them. So if an MLS team can't get in for a one-off, there's no way the Aztex will.

25. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Good point, hopefully House than!