Atletico PR vs. Chivas [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by chaski, Jun 23, 2005.

1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  2. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Hmm, this could fit very well as a mascot for some players from River's defense...

3. ChivasFan87

ChivasFan87 Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fresno, CA
    Oswaldo & Co. to play Copa Libertadores

hey football lovers i'm new to this site and i thought what better way to make my debut then by letting Chivas fans know that Oswaldo, Corona, Ramoncito, Medina, and Salcido will be available to play on Thursday. i can tell you that i read the article on yahoo sports. i know i was excited as hell when i read it.
    ARRIBA CHIVAS, CON TODO!!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-guadalajara&prov=reuters&type=lgns

4. ChivasFan87

ChivasFan87 Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fresno, CA
    Re: Oswaldo & Co. to play Copa Libertadores

Oh yeah, and do you guys think this will be enough to overcome the 3-0 marker from the first game?

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

You should check out the Mexico forum. Most of the posters in this forum hate the fact that Mexican teams play in the Copa Libertadores.

6. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel

por fin en la vida SID dice algo correcto!

sigue asi que estas progresando :)

7. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

of course, nobody likes losing !
    its going to be tough on chivas,3-0 its very steep, but if they can pull it it will be the stuff of legends

8. lcfc_uk

lcfc_uk New Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Oxford, England

Most of the posters in this forum hate the fact that Mexican teams play in the Copa Libertadores.

Why is this? What's the beef people have got with Mexican teams in the Libertadores?

9. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

No. Atletico PR will score a goal, meaning Chivas has to get 5.

Many posters believe that CONMEBOL tournaments should be limited to CONMEBOL teams. Discussed at length in this thread (and many others)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203303

10. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

why don't you guys let DC united play Champions league?

11. lcfc_uk

lcfc_uk New Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Oxford, England

Blimey! Ad infinitum intit....this is obv an EMOTIVE issue which i now understand only a little. BUT what i don't really understand - but find very interesting - is the loose hostility towards Mexican football and its supporters. Is it simply cos their leagues are considered more monied or is it something ELSE I'm not getting?

Sure their teams aren't in CONMEBOL - but that ain't purely geographical is it? There's a few south american teams that are in the CONCACAF isn't there?

I'd be CHUFFED to get top teams playing in my continental club tourno if they were gonna bring some JOY to it....take the Turkish teams frinstance - they ain't strictly European but they bring piles of madness to our club tournos...From what i've been able to see/hear Chivas have brought some '100% Mexican' fun to the Libertadores, no?

why don't you guys let DC united play Champions league?
    Pibe#10, I see what you're saying but that's really stretching the point a little....but to be truthful with you, the decision ain't down to me. But if it was, i would BAN all Scottish clubs and allow a few CONCACAF teams in their place. Would this help solve this ongoing TIFF?

12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

They brought 100% fun to Curitiba anyway.

[​IMG]

13. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

that's the point, if it were up to you you would do that, and if it were up to us, we would ban the mexican teams.....

how long have Turkish teams been participating in UEFA's tournies?

14. lcfc_uk

lcfc_uk New Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Oxford, England

NICE WORK chaski
    Either he's REALLY tall or his team-mate's a bit 'vertically challenged'.

Pibe#10, my retort was LACED in malt-whisky-tongue-in-cheek humour....So, you fellas have the same LOVE/HATE relationship with the mexicans as we do with the JOCKS?
    I think the Turks joined UEFA sometime in the 60's - so, yeah, it was quite a while ago....

To be honest tho, the Champions League etc, don't bother me too much one way or the other anyway due to the fact i support Leicester City (Gary Lineker's club) - and we DO NOT tend to play foreign clubs that often (due to obvious reasons).....Although we did come up against the might of RED STAR BELGRADE and ATLETICO MADRID in the UEFA cup a few seasons ago...and we also got Barca in a friendly a couple of years ago...WOOOHOOOO...got to see Luis Enrique play - a hero of mine....

15. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C

and Israeli teams.

eso puede ser una arma de doble filo

16. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

In my humble opinion the reason why Mexican teams play in Libertadores is simply because Mexican teams generate lots and lots of $$MONEY$$. CONMEBOL makes tons of money allowing the Mexican teams to play. The Mexican League also makes money..I personally attend the pre libertadores here in Los Angeles, a mini tournament were the top 2 Mexican clubs go to libertadores. The Home Depot center sells out when the pre Libertadores is being held, everyone makes lots of dollars. I think MLS teams should be able to play in Libertadores, but it wont happen since they dont generate money as the Mexican clubs do. A lot of South Americans simply dont like it because the Mexican teams are actually very competitive and give a good fight.

(

17. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Colombia will play the Gold Cup in a week, a CONCACAF tournament. The CONCACAF welcomes teams from South America and from all over the world. You dont see us crying like babies just because a few teams that arent CONCACAF are in the tournament.The reason why some South Americans dont like the Mexican Teams is because they lose to them.

18. fandechivas

fandechivas New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Si se puede y ahora mas! bueno ya que regresan nuestros mejores. ojala si dios quiere todo saldra bien. ARRIBA MIS CHIVAS

19. Milolaz

Milolaz New Member

May 11, 2005
    Congratulations Atletico Paranaense (Diego, wow!) Good luck in the final.

Chivas!!!

Chivas!!!

Chivas!!!

20. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel
    esta es la razon por que Paranaense esta en la final
    [​IMG] aqui el Barcelona de Guayaquil le esta dando una calurosa bienvenida a este tipo "un par de piedras no le caen mal a nadie"

este tecnico nos gano la final de la Libertadores en 1998 en Guayaquil dirigiendo al Vasco da Gama de Brasil y este tecnico es un experto en estas copas incluso lo querian llevar para dirigir a la seleccion Brasil
    (aparte tambien perdimos la final por que quisas nos siguio la maldicion del America de Colombia ya que "Antonhy de Avila" jugaba en nuestro equipo y este man jugo para el America de Cali y perdio la final con River Plate)

Paranaense sabia que con este tecnico podria llegar lejos y lo esta comprobando, no me sorprenderia que la terminara ganando esta copa y venciera al Sao Paolo

21. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C

good job in comparing the Gold Cup... with the Libertadores. :(

22. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

there is no comparison, I think the point is that nobody in the CONCACAF forum is complaining about CONMEBOL participation. the level of hate against mexican teams really surprized me, maybe some people should listen to the great Mercedes Sosa "Amigo Americano"

By the way, what is your opinion about DC United participation in copa Sur Americana.

23. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

so because you aren't complaining we shouldn't either?, that's nice, I'm proud on you guys (CONCACAF). I would much rather the two champs play after the tournaments have been decided.

Look man, if now that the FIFA installed the WCCs, that means that these tournaments are a way of qualifying to represent each confederation in the WCC. In the WC you don't see a nation outside of CONMEBOL or CONCACAF taking place in their WCQs.

My personal opinion about DC United playing in Copa Sudamericana is that they shouldn't play, again they are CONCACAF.

Ultimately its all about money, so anything I say or do (or for that matter anything we say) is not going to change the mind of the people running the CONMEBOL.

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

agreed
    the sudamericana should have been kept conmebol only

its bad enough the copa america and libertadores have gone for outside teams

25. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    It's a good point. Actually Antônio Lopes was manager-assistant to Felipão in the 2002 World Cup.