Atlanta United vs Red Bulls

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find a year by year attendance avg. for the bulls. Anyone got a link?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wikipedia pages for each Red Bulls season have the average going back to 2009. For 2008 it lists the games and attendances, but it doesn't provide the average, and I'm not going to do that myself.

2016: 20,620
    2015: 19,242
    2014: 18,517
    2013: 18,594
    2012: 18,281
    2011: 19,691
    2010: 18,625
    2009: 12,744 (we got only 21 points)

I wonder if the Red Bulls have the record for the smallest difference between the highest and lowest average attendance for any period of seven consecutive seasons.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  3. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So resistance is about 20,000 and support about 18,000. Nice. For this club getting to 21,00 would be a real breakthrough and 25,000 to 30,000 would be almost undreamed of according to those stats. If we were to grpah these the trend might be generally flat with a slight rise towards the end of the line.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Place seats 25k right? That's the reason it always looks empty. They were too aggressive with the stadium. Should have built it on the smaller end if it was going to be expandable anyway. If they built an 18-20k seater no one would be complaining.

Anyway it looks like the trend is going slowly upwards. Even if those numbers are padded we still draw good crowds in relation to the rest of the world.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used 2010 through 2016 and numbered the years from 1 to 7. The correlation between attendance and year was 0.493. Correlation ranges from -1 to 1.

It seats 25,000. Shouldn't the hope of getting 25,000 fans be more important than worrying about Red Bull Arena looking empty? Your point of view is like saying a student should be too worried about failing to take hard classes. If the Red Bulls got the same attendance with a capacity of 50,000, then I would understand complaints about it looking empty.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty good correlation, .493 rounded is .5-- obviously it's not a perfect 1, but it does show that the relationship between the data is not altogether insignificant.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are SOME people out there who worry (way too much) about the look of attendance. However, I'm not one of them. I don't care how the stadium looks attendance-wise. I care about the product on the field. This is purely for discussion's sake.

We know that actual attendance is inflated league-wide. Particularly at Red Bull I might add. If you took out the Seattles of MLS and looked at league turnstile average I guarantee it's somewhere between 15-20k. Also, most of the other soccer specific venues were built with 18-20k in mind. So I still believe Red Bull was...bullish...with a 25k seat arena. Especially considering the fact that they built it with future expansion in mind.

We can hope as much as we want for 25k each game, but the reality (as earlier discussed in this thread) is that until we have a few generations of fandom those seats simply aren't going to fill up.

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Realistically it might take the team another year or two to win MLS Cup. That said, they just have to hit it when it's hot, whether that's this year or the next or the one after.