Atlanta United vs Red Bulls

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far the score is 0-0 at the 12 minute mark. Both teams are just kind of feeling each other out.

Don't really feel too confident about this team's start this season. They didn't look too good as they were bombing out of the CCL. Hopefully i'm wrong and they will win their first game of the season.

2. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BWP put on some lbs. Either that or his shirt is too small...on the side and front.

3. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's suffering from Brazilian Nats Hulk syndrome?

4. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!! Atlanta now leads 1-0

Looks like the Red Bull defense was caught ball watching.

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robles just saves a sure Atlanta goal at the 43rd minute

Atlanta seems closer tot their 2nd goal than Red Bull to their 1st.
    Red Bull didn't really put pressure on the opposing goal all half long.

6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HALFTIME
    Atlanta 1 -Red Bulls 0

7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Red Bulls still on winter break; Marsch getting out coached. I am not usually this negative. Frankly, I don't like it. Field is also a factor, very narrow.

8. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bulls have had a slow start to the season for the past several years. So far I haven't seen anything to make me think this year will be the exception.

9. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yellow to perrinelle at the 65 min mark

10. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 tigersoccer2005, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    72nd minute---still 1-0 Atlanta. So far the Red Bulls have been playing extremely boring and uncreative soccer. They look lost out there, as if the don't know what tot do with the ball when they have it. Red Bulls have not created any dangerous situations for the opposing GK all game long.

11. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOOOOLLLLL Royer ties the game for the Red Bulls. 1-1. 76th min.
    It should be noted that this goal did not come about as a result of the run of play but rather from a set piece. Headed in from a corner.

12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OG but we'll take it. Break is over.

13. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOOOOOAAAAAALLLL Red Bulls now winning 2-1.
    BWP in a confusing play in front of goal.

EDIT: It was officially ruled an own goal. BWP had nothing to do with the play.

14. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    87th minute Carmona shown a straight red--Red Bulls now with the man advantage.

15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAME OVER
    Red Bulls win 2-1 having shown very little. I guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

16. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As noted earlier, their creativity, their decision making needs to improve. And I don't want to hear "The season just started. Give them time." 85% of this team (if not more) has been together since last season. If you don't know each other now, when will you? With all the players the RB throw forward there should be options galore for the first attacker. Possession should be easier. RB should be an attacking threat/ an opponent's nightmare. They should have many chances on goal (if not actual goals) with all the numbers they have up. But they are so non threatening, opponents are more than happy to give them space in their third of the field, intercept a pass, and start a quick counter. Opponents look more dangerous on the counter than RB do on the attack.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Solid team you folks have right there, even with a couple roster revisions. I thought for sure AU would be able to run your boys ragged but they hung in there and controlled the later stages of the game. Substitutions made an impact, so kudos to your coach. Saw about 100 or so RB supporters in the corner, too. Hope their overall experience was positive.

Cheers.

18. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Burn those uniforms. Losing a game late on an own goal followed by a red card is soooooo Metro.

19. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game and that's exactly what I was thinking haha. Maybe Atlanta wearing those uniforms will lift some of the bad spirits from Metro.
    Game atmosphere was great. Nice to see so many people in the Southeast stoked to have MLS.

Woodrow repped this.
  20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We need to get some of that interest rubbed off on the local fan base. If NYRB were getting a legit 22K (near sell-out) every game, the ripple on effects would be huge. Honestly, this team should be close to that already, winning consistently for several seasons, plus having two SSS and the league's leading scorer twice ought to bring in the crowds. Yes, the club can be blamed for some poor marketing decisions as well as scheduling problems. That said, it seems like a nice goal for the club would be to make sure that there are very few empty seats on game days.

Over all the league attendance average is good, buoyed by the more successful franchises. There are a few laggards and I would throw NYRB into that category simply because they are one of the founders and a consistent winner. There's no excuse anymore for being middle of the pack.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^This. Possession means nothing if you don't create chances and/or half chances. They need to be more decisive and shoot more often. I understand if they don't want to send hopeless crosses into the box because they don't have an aerial threat (don't get me started on that again), but move the ball quickly juke a defender and take a crack from outside the 18 every so often. Good things happen when you shoot hard and on target. BWP does an excellent job of being at the right place at the right time for cleanup duty.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO there's very little a team can do (other than NOT shooting themselves in the foot) to get butts in seats.

They need to continue to win and after a few generations of parents taking their kids to the games they'll have enough fan interest to fill (or nearly fill) that stadium. Continued improvements to Harrison won't hurt either. They place already looks night and day better, but the town needs to:

1. Finish the residential work. Hopefully some of the new residents are soccer fans. How could they not be when they're right next door to the stadium! Red Bull should give a small discount on ticket prices to encourage locals to show up in droves. 5%? Maybe 10% for a season ticket?
    2. Finish the PATH upgrades and put in the new highway on/off-ramp. Getting in and out quickly and comfortably is always attractive.
    3. Put in a few more food/booze options. 5 guys is nice, but not everyone is crazy about it ;)
    4. Upgrade the park/waterfront walk. This was part of the original master plan. Aesthetically it could really kick up the area and attract more families.

Those 3 things will make the entire area/game day experience much more attractive.

Woodrow repped this.
  23. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm always amazed at how rarely this comes up in the millions of conversations MLS fans have about attendance every year, I honestly think its the single most important factor to MLS becoming more ingrained in the American sporting landscape. 99% of people pick their sports teams based on who they grew up watching with their family and friends, MLS just isn't old enough for the generation growing up watching their teams to have actual time and money to spend on it. And even more than attendance, I think that's when we'll see TV ratings shoot through the roof, when we have a generation of casual fans instead of the extremes we see today with die-hard supporters on one end and people just looking for a nice day out on the other.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    One really minor point in the grand scheme, and I'm really only speaking for the fans coming over from Newark, but they need to fix the lighting on the Jackson St. Bridge. Apparently this is neither a Newark or a Harrison problem, there is a bridge authority responsible for maintenance. Still, it would be a concern of both aesthetics and safety to have the area more brightly lit. Which is not to mention that when the Newark Riverfront Park is completed, they will want to encourage more pedestrian traffic in the area. Do it right and fix the lights.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    30-35K average attendance is about as good as any of the world's biggest leagues. In that respect, MLS is not to far off the pace and that is without having clubs like Manchester United, Barcelona or Borussia Dortmund that regularly have attendances over 70K, padding the overall numbers.

I still remember season 1, on my birthday, the Metrostars had 54K show up for the game versus Tampa Bay. And fast forward a dozen or more years for the first Beckham match and I was sitting practically in the last row, seeing Jozy Altidore break LA's hearts. There have been some glorious big game attendances. The league's own marketing has always fallen short of organic fan interest, which is probably a good thing.