Pre-match: Atlanta United FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Tuesday, 7/4) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San José winning its first meeting between the two cities since the days of the Atlanta Chiefs?

Atlanta standing exultantly after the first visit from San José in the MLS era?

The Earthquakes channeling the avidity of Boris Bandov, Ismael "Easy" Perez and Leonardo Cuéllar? United FC funneling the élan of Kaizer Motaung, David Byrne and Brian Kidd?

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Goodsport, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    This game is scheduled to be televised live on both NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports Bay Area HD at 4:20pm PDT.

• AT&T U-verse
      • NBCS BA: Channel 770
      • NBCS BA HD: Channel 1770
    • Comcast (Bay Area)
      • NBCS BA: Channel 40
      • NBCS BA HD: Channel 720
    • Comcast (Sacramento area)
      • NBCS BA: Channel 36
      • NBCS BA HD: Channel 720
    • DirecTV
      • NBCS BA: Channel 696
      • NBCS BA HD: Channel 696
    • DISH Network
      • NBCS BA: Channel 419
      • NBCS BA HD: Channel 419

I hope that helped. :)

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will also be broadcast on the radio live on KNBR 1050 AM.

-G

4. futbolloco

futbolloco Member

Apr 8, 2006
    fremont
    are we going to have the new DP?

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Not eligible to play until July 10th. Perhaps in street clothes?

6. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Event though a night game, it is summer in Atlanta....a bit humid

JUL 4 Scattered Thunderstorms
    high 87° low72°
    60% chance of rain
    humidity 74%

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    upload_2017-6-28_8-45-10.png

The Earthquakes are 5-1-6 with Rivero in the center

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta United are doing some incredible things, halfway through their first season they already seem like MLS franchise others should be looking to emulate on and especially off the field (with an average attendance of 46,700, over 35k season ticket holders, and 25% of MLS merchandise sales)....

Atlanta United at midseason: Q&A with Darren Eales

Eales, a wealth of facts, noted that the average expansion team averages 1.14 goals per game. Atlanta United averages 1.94 goals per game, finishing the season’s first half with 33 goals in 17 games.

Expansion teams average one point per game. Now we are at 1.41 points per game. We have played 17 games, 10 on the road. It’s a much more favorable schedule in the second half of the season.

The highest average attendance is in our sights.

After our game against San Jose (on Tuesday), we will have more cumulative people through the gate —more than 370,000 — which is more than 14 teams had in total last season.

That just puts it into context. And we have 10 more games to go at home.

We’ve sold more than 35,000 season tickets, which is incredible.

The merchandise portal on mls.com sells gear for the 22 teams, plus LAFC and league-branded items. Twenty-five percent of the merchandise sales through that portal are Atlanta United.​

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Atlanta lost to Miami in the Open Cup but I'm not sure if they were using their reserves or not.

don gagliardi repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta didn't have any of their DPs, no Almiron, Martinez, Villalba, or even Asad.
    They played 4-5 regular starters (Gressel, Carmona, Pirez, Mears, Kann) with a mix of roster filler veterans (Kratz, McCann, Bloom, soon to be Kann) and young prospects (Vazquez, Carleton, Walkes). Vazques scored their first goal and Andrew Carleton drew the PK for the second one, so it looks like their teenagers did well enough...
    Miami FC is no joke, they've spent a lot of money for a lower division team, Stafano Pinho had a 16 assist season in NASL a few years ago, and NYCFC cult hero Poku averaged over a goal/assist every 90 minutes in 2015...

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team will be tired but confident. No Godoy but Lima back and Colvey rested. Fingers crossed....

13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    No D mids available (Alashe, Ceren, Godoy). I'd be tempted to play a 4-4-2 with Flo at D-mid and Lima/ Colvey at outside backs. Maybe have Yueill on the bench as sub for Flo. Can Mfeca play CAM? Need someone with fresh legs in the center with Flo.

don gagliardi repped this.
  14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You might be tempted, but I think you'd be wrong. I think the best solution would be to play Bernardez, Imperiale, and Sarkodie in the back, then slide Jungwirth as the defensive mid and have the rest of the midfield stay the same, except put Colvey in Cato's place.

If the instinct to play 4-4-2 is results focus, forget about it. The results matter so much less than getting these offensive players to become as cohesive as possible. They need to spend a lot of time together to learn their habits, preferences, expectations. So far, it's been great, but now that they've shifted, I see no point in returning to a formation that has so rarely done any good for them, even with roster issues.

Edit: Put Lima in Sarkodie's place, obviously. Not sure what I was thinking there.

DotMPP and bobby_guzman repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #15 JazzyJ, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    This is a really tough draw. Playing on two days rest, flying across country, missing several players, including "the rock", Godoy. I look at it as another bellwether for Chris Leitch.

If this were Dom he would be parking the bus so hard that the brake handle would be bent. But when you play for a 0-0 tie, most of the time you lose. So why not just go for it? What's the worst that can happen? You lose, which you are going to do anyway if you park the bus and try to play for a 0-0 tie or win 1-0 on your 1-2 chances.

I really think Mfeka should get a start in this game, and Colvey also.

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think that Lima and Colvey are shoe-ins to start. If Fatai is available, he will start in Godoy's place. Everything else sort of depends on the fitness of the individuals and how they feel after the Saturday match. Given past history, we can expect that Wondo will be game-fit, and I expect Shea to start in place of either Tommy or Cato.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Heh, Wondo could probably play today and be just fine :). As for Shea starting, oh well, there goes the possession. Would rather bring him in as a sub, but TT for one has gotta be pretty "knackered". Jackson too.

bsman repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at it as playing with house money, thanks to the wins against Seattle and especially LA. As I keep saying, MLS is all about winning at home. We may need to get some road points to make up for the five non-wins at home, but they seem unlikely to come here, given the tough circumstances. I'll expect a loss and hopefully be pleasantly surprised by 1 or 3 points. I think it will be easier to get points in NY or Seattle, given the struggles both those teams are having...

I agree with you that the Quakes should just go for it, instead of parking the bus Dom-style. If that turns out really badly, I wouldn't hold it against them.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah that's exactly it, house money. And sometimes you get on a roll and just keep winning with house money and you start taking even more chances. That's what 2012 was to me.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After the knock Cato took last night, I'd be very shocked to see him start. instead I think we'll see a tired TT on one wing and Shea on the other to start.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I would start Mfeka, or have TT play 60 or so. Hyka is another one who played almost 90 (77 or so) on Wednesday and then 90. Imperiale 90 both games, but don't think he runs as much as more of a stay at home defender and given that the Quakes had a lot of possession both games.

22. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing it quite well for Reno.

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I respect your opinion, but at this level you play to win. The Quakes can have success in a 4-4-2 if the outside backs can get into the attacking flow on the edges. Lima and Colvey have both shown that they can and they are fresh (and hopefully hungry).

Good coaches and good teams don't limit themselves to one formation or a specific lineup. You use what works best for your personal and you show your team that you have confidence in their ability to take what is given them.

bsman repped this.
  24. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect Jungwirth to flex into DMid. That was where he was playing mostly for Darmstadt.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    David Bingham looked so pumped after the LA game. That was as excited as I've ever seen him. Leitch went out of his way to praise his great save in the second half. I have to wonder if this will lift his form the rest of the season. He'll need a Tim Howard like performance against Atlanta