Post-match: Atlanta United FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 9/21) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 3 - 1 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Welp, ran around like crazy for nothing. Now we'll be exhausted for Wednesday. Other than that, things are great.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I predicted this scoreline, sad to say. But not the sendoffs. Wow. Three out in one game that wasn't particularly physical.

Beerking repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    there isn’t a big enough poop emoji for this one

5. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they lost because of ten men, it comes down to wasted chances again.

There should have been at least 2 more minutes added, Penso is poo.

Still think Espinoza red was deserved, via two earned yellows.

Espinoza and possibly Wondo and Almeyda suspended for next game? Oh, boy...

6. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    How does a player get ejected from the bench? Candidly I've heard foul language from players on the field go unpunished. Multiple times.

Beerking repped this.
  7. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why didn’t we use double holding midfielders to earn a point on the road .. especially after Judson gets subbed out for Rios?
    Another point lost on the road.

Don,
    Any thoughts on Atlanta?

8. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Yeah, there's no way they would have created more chances with 63 more man-minutes...

9. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I try watch Espinosa's 2nd yellow on mlssoccer.com and I get "Access Denied".

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What a joke!

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  11. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question.

Poor Yueill was too gassed to get back and close down Martinez on the go ahead goal. Looked like Eriksson losing his mark was also the result of fatigue. Oh well, it was a valiant defensive effort. This loss is mostly on Espinoza. The second yellow could have been a straight red, and it was stupid and unnecessary.

Vega was great.

SoccerMan94043 and DasMoots repped this.
  12. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Yellow and red cards are "misconducts". See Law 12.

Every player or substitute is expected to behave professionally. Foul or abusive language or gestures are one of the reasons for send off (ejection). You do not have to be on the field of play.

As of June 2019, the laws now say that coaches and team officials are now subject to misconducts which means they can receive cautions (yellow cards) and send offs (red cards). However, since the MLS season started prior to the new laws being adopted, MLS is operating under pre-June 2019 LOTG.

NedZ and David Scott repped this.
  13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games have we lost in the last 10 minutes? Just wondering

14. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, that was frustrating! Espinoza should have got a straight red. He stamped the guy at least 3 times, totally on purpose. Completely unprofessional and embarrassing to the team. Good thing his goal won't count for his stats, it's an own goal. Ugh.

Vega was amazing! If the game had ended 1-1 he'd be clearly the MOTM.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Two road trips, 6 games and 0 points! They could have forfeited and save money in the travel costs!

What a waste of time and energy!

Vastly improved over Stahre’s team, this is unacceptable in any league.

16. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Such a shame, the boys fought hard for so long to keep the game in check with 10 players...just ran out of gas at the end. Penso bought a lot of their flops and called a really unbalanced game in their favor...really disgusting.

Vega played his butt off...we we're so close to getting out of there with a much needed point playing a man down.

We still played well and created opportunities in the attack with 10 but needed to be more decisive and make Guzan work.

Espinoza's first yellow from Penso was weak...kind of a bonehead thing to do from Espinoza, but a yellow for that?....kind of set the tone for the crap reffing from Penso.

I'd take a gassed Judson over a lot of other guys...his defensive awareness was sorely missed...didn't like that sub at all.

Hopefully the league pulls back the reds for Almeyda and Wondo. Espinoza's was deserved...should have been straight red... dumb thing to do...apparently no awareness how important he is to the team...I doubt he can really control it though.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t speak for Dave, but although I knew it was within the rules, it’s pretty unusual, and players constantly get away with berating officials not only on the field, but often to their faces. This one, coming on top of Almeyda’s, feels excessive.

davez repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    It’s still 1-1 when Matias gets ejected, we really need the focus to be on the field and we need him to be finishing out these games, leading by example and keeping the players calm, disciplined and focused.

S.J. Jim repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Bingo! Twice he gets so frustrated that he harasses the 4 official until ejected and both times the Quakes fell apart after his exit. Passion is great, but doing stupid stuff when the playoffs are on the line is not so great. This reminds me of MPG removing his shirt at the end of a game when he was on a yellow and then missing the last game against Dallas that the Quakes needed to win.

TyffaneeSue, Quakes05 and S.J. Jim repped this.
  20. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The complaining by Wondo and Eriksson following Espinoza’s ejection was over the top, and Matias may have gotten caught up in that too.

By the way, the english language announcers were excellent, imo. Refreshing to hear two guys call a game fairly, and stay on topic. They even knew a lot about the Quakes recent history.

SoccerIsOurLife and Quakes05 repped this.
  21. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    As a youth ref myself (and I'm sure bsman can concur), I do hear a lot of stuff. I let most of it go because I understand the passion of the game and most of it is not personal. We all try to give our best performance each game.

But refs are human and there are some things that cross the line. We could not see Chris on the touchline, but, if he flipped off Penso, the AR or the 4th Official, for example, many refs would draw the line there and send him off. When neither the AR nor Penso called that obvious foul on Salinas on the touchline, I went nuts and I could imagine Chris went nuts too and made a rude gesture in the direction of the AR. I know I felt like doing it myself!

BTW, I am usually quite patient with the refs because I know how hard the job is. But I was beet red in the face screaming at Penso. His first caution for Espinoza was correct and a stupid move by Espinoza. The second yellow was infuriating because Penso let the flopping by Atlanta continue and then, after another flop and an annoying call on Espinoza because Penso bought the flop, Espinoza got annoyed and stomped the player. Another clear yellow and likely straight red. But it came because Penso was buying the flopping. Which he did for Atlanta the whole damn game. It seemed that he should know what a flop looked like because he called NONE of Eriksson's flops.

ColinMcCarthy and jeff_adams repped this.
  22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramiro Corrales was on the bench when he flicked a towel at some guy on the Metrostars, who dove like he got hit in the face. It was hilarious. It's at about 1:55 in the video below.

23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    To quote Davez: "Not with these refs. They were going to find a way to "help" Atlanta win."

Penso is hot garbage as an official, I thought Unkel was bad but Penso is giving him a run for his money.

mjlee22 repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  25. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Amado Guevara was the diver.