Post-match: Atlanta United FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 9/21) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 21, 2019.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sherman should have finished the job. :)

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Phew - looks like I picked a good game to miss.

My daughter is pretty much apoplectic about Espinoza's second yellow. According to her, the Atl player was on the ground, shielding and playing the ball, so (in her words "What the f*** is Espinoza supposed to do?"

Haven't seen the play myself, and from the sound of it, I'm not going to expend a lot of effort to try and watch this game ex post facto...

3. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The neutral Spanish announcers were mocking the Atlanta players for their diving. But hey, it worked, and I don't think we ever got a call when one of our players went down. (The stream was poor quality so I probably missed a few of the finer points.)

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I knew we were in trouble when Vega got a yellow card for time wasting in minute 48 (you never see that, not in the 48th minute). I think Penso went into this game with a grudge on his shoulder and we were going to lose, he was going to make sure of it.

nivla and leocal11 repped this.
  7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose brilliant idea was it to have a red carded player not be replaced by a substitute. Playing a man down against another team is just dumb. That rule needs to be changed. Give the opposing team a 10 min advantage or something.

dred repped this.
  8. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Unfortunately, now that I've seen the replay, it's pretty clear Espinoza clipped the guy on the ankle, he went down, then Espi stomped on his calf.

9. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I've always felt this way. Of course, to achieve the desired deterrence, it would be necessary to make the team play down a man for 5 minutes for a yellow card as well.
    The reason this doesn't happen is the same as why we have the stupidity of "time kept on the field" while the ball is out of play and players are rolling on the ground while the crowd yells and throws things: namely basic economics. Soccer was invented before electricity and exported to many poor countries that don't have the luxury of scoreboard clocks.
    No 20th century US sport would put up with this nonsense

Beckham7 repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Worse, the red-carded player cannot play the next game. That's the real killer in this instance.

But the rules are the rules, and Espinoza deserved his red.

SoccerMan94043 and jeff_adams repped this.
  11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josef Martinez left the game with a serious looking injury. It was a Pity how it happened.

mjlee22 repped this.
  12. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On the Espinoza second yellow card. The defender attempts to play the ball while he’s in a horrible position on the ground. He basically scoots into Espinoza’s path

DotMPP and leocal11 repped this.
  13. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Agreed. Officiating was imbalanced. I only wish we never see Penso again. Fat chance of that, however.

But, as fans, let's make sure to let Matias and the FO know that we are behind him 100%!

Beerking, don gagliardi and davez repped this.
  14. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    I always hate to see a player injured, even one I dislike as much as Martinez. But I think that crap plastic turf at Atlanta was a major contributing factor so my "Pity" is quite limited,

DotMPP and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  15. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I think next time Penso gets a Center Ref assignment in San Jose he should be mercilessly booed. And keep it up all game. And if he turns in another performance like tonight send a tape of it to the league with the strong "suggestion" that he had his mind made up before the opening whistle.

mjlee22, markmcf8, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  16. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah but Espinoza goes full weight on him. Could have been straight red. Easily a 2nd yellow.

markmcf8, Boysinblue and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When have you ever seen a bench player getting ejected? And...Wondo? If it had been Godoy, well, maybe, but this was, at least for me, the most upsetting game all season, just because it felt so unfair.

DasMoots, Sactown Soccer and Beerking repped this.
  18. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Corrales and the towel whip on Amado Guevara. :ROFLMAO:
    I doubt Wondo deserved it. So I guess talking crap on the bench isn't allowed but on the field is.

markmcf8 and Smurfquake repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Because Espinoza, Matias, and Wondo stupidly get themselves ejected? This game was for all intents and purposes lost the moment Espinoza got himself booted.

Boysinblue and NedZ repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Sactown Soccer, TyffaneeSue and Beerking repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Yes to the first and no to the second.

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The officiating was not even-handed, and that always leads to more problems. Before Espi's ejection, he was being fouled, and I don't understand a referee failing to call dangerous play on the Atlanta player who was on the ground. Wondo getting tossed was the icing -- unlike Corrales, he was not in physical contact with opponents, and hard to imagine he said anything worse than the language you regularly hear and see in games.

If the league wants the final to be between Atlanta and LAFC, as rumor has it, the outcome is hardly surprising. Disappointing, though, and I'm (again) not sure what happened to Danny but wondering if he'll be back in 2020.

Beerking and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it? Like you heard it on the internet?

24. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Since LAFC can't play LAG in the finals then why not purposely pit the two best offensive forwards against each other.?

Beerking repped this.
  25. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For Espinoza's red card, I believe the preceeding foul wasn't a flop since Espinoza took out Escobar's standing leg. Escobar makes a play to poke the ball since the referee didn't blow his whistle yet, and I don't see Espinoza stamp him multiple times, just the once, I also thought twice when seeing it live but it was the camera angle. Pretty clear second yellow, no problems there.

I also wasn't/wouldn't be "infuriated" with the ref before this incident. Penso called 5 fouls committed by us on Atlanta players before Espinoza red card incident:
    foul 1: Judson clips and lightly shoves Pity after he makes a pass, okay foul [2:26]
    foul 2: Josef dive, don't personally blame the ref because Josef sells it well and Kashia is still kind of holding his arm [11:42]
    foul 3: Jungwirth holds back Pity's shoulder before he attempts a pass, totally a foul [20:27]
    foul 4: Judson trips Pity, Pity doesn't play through the contact and sells it but still a foul [21:01]
    foul ?: noticed this as I was looking at foul 5, Jungwirth does a handball that goes uncalled as he recieves the ball [24:52]
    foul 5: Wondo nudges Robinson in the back as he goes for a header, totally a foul [25:10]
    For fouls 1,3, and 5 Atlanta plays through the contact and doesn't ask for the ref to make a call, and Penso only made one (understandable) mistake from my POV.

I don't think its fair to say the refs cost us the match, even with the few bad flopping calls and BS Vega timewasting yellow. Even while we were a man up, over the entire first half we took 0 shots, it was not like we were playing well before the red card. The two next red cards might have also been BS, but they weren't even for our on-field players, the 10 left on the pitch could have been able to fight it out somehow, if the referee really wanted to screw us over he would have been smarter to card Judson early and give him a red card after another foul(Jusdon got his 1st yellow on his 5th foul). The refs didn't let Nagbe run right through our midfield and find a wide open Hyndman in the 90th minute, we did.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.