Atlanta United FC - Discussion

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by USvsIRELAND, Jun 25, 2015.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    henryo repped this.
  2. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What annoys me most is the fact that we have the EXACT same colors as DCU! I would have been ok with United if we went with the Red/Yellow(gold) instead of Red and Black.

USvsIRELAND and henryo repped this.
  3. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not that I have a horse in this race, but if they wanted a "traditional" name, why float all the other possibilities, and why not choose one that nobody else is using? Athletic and Athletico are at least alliterative. Nobody's used Inter yet.

henryo repped this.
  4. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I just cannot believe that a man who understands branding and marketing would the same name and colors of another team.

USvsIRELAND, The One X and henryo repped this.
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Underwhelming is one word to describe how I feel. I am hoping it was a fake leak and they are going announce in July a different name.

6. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Olympic Atlanta would have been a much, much better name... ;)

[​IMG]

Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very disappointed. I feel deflated with the team name choice.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the fact that this was leaked two weeks before the announcement mean that there is still time for Blank and his aides to see the public reaction and have second thoughts?

Andy Bulldog and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so...

Look, I really don't like the name Resurgents. But I would say if that was the name picked, hell, it was at least one of the top 5 from the TL poll. I find it very insulting.

Andy Bulldog repped this.
  10. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Timbers got their inaugural MLS logo changed after it was unveiled and booed. Perhaps we can get something similar to happen with the name? It isn't the worst name and is better than many things people tossed out, but it is very underwhelming and there were some really good options out there.

Andy Bulldog and henryo repped this.
  11. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that Houston also used to be Houston 1836 before they became the Dynamo. Though that was changed due to politics but it was still changed. There is still hope.

Andy Bulldog and henryo repped this.
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But didn't Houston have months between the first name came out and when they went "official"? Atlanta MLS has like less than 2 weeks.

13. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    If you remember Houston 1836, there's still time! I'll get behind AUFC, but HELP US OUT MEXICAN FRIENDS!

On a positive note, 85 people had commented on that story on AJC. Not bad considering this link is the only place I've seen it despite my $10/month subscription for the site that isn't an assault on my senses.

14. impulse24

impulse24 New Member

Apr 15, 2014
  15. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm holding out until the announcement. Something makes me think this might have been an intentional leak. Just the way it's been reported and the way Eales responded to AJC's questions has me thinking they have a surprise up their sleeve. Let's hope so, or at least that the logo kicks ass. They've made so many right decisions so far, hard to think they'd F this one up.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WE DID NOT VOTE ON ATLANTA UNITED! That's a f****** misleading article trying to gloss over the fact the fans are being screwed. The surveys simply asked which words we associated with soccer. Of course we associate United with soccer - It's the most overused and arguably polarizing brand in the sport! That doesn't mean we want it for our team, and it sure as hell isn't going to endear the world to Atlanta soccer as a unique brand!

This simply shows me the front office is far more out of touch than I'd hoped, and my faith in this organization is quickly flagging.

Blank has made many right moves but I'm wondering how much of this fell on the laps of the wrong people. Soccer moms and such.

17. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. tourist

tourist New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Who want's to bet Arthur Blanks son's favorite team is Manchester United??

19. tourist

tourist New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    This really is a sad time for soccer fans in Atlanta. But hopefully despite this terrible name we can create something good to rally around

20. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I hope this name is fake. The United name is garbage. Just another American club trying to artificially attach themselves to a euro-centric name without any of the history. Lazy, unoriginal - how much money did they pay and how much time was spent, and in the end they're copying DC? Might as well call the club the RoughRiders and move them to Canada.

It's up to us to select a better name.

21. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed that there's no mention of the team's name on the official ATL MLS website. You'd think if they were going to declare the team Atlanta United FC, they would've splashed something of the sort on the website. So far, nothin'. Perhaps it is a bit of misdirection....

TS.

22. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    If this is true, it's just so disappointing. Actually, I thought Blank would go with something that aligned a bit with Falcons, i.e. Firebirds.

I'm still going to wait for July 7th before getting too upset, though.

I'm sure this would not be the first time a decision was based on a family member's preference. But I'd be surprised if this is the case, here.

23. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    Since they've announced they won't officially "unveil the name and icon" until July 7th, I'd assume you won't find anything on the website until then.

So there's still hope...

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No hope

henryo repped this.
  25. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    Disappointing.