Atlanta Silverbacks

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by Andy Bulldog, Jun 20, 2010.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That name I like as well.

Thrashville...

I'm sure Jerkunitz won't change the name, so Silverbacks will remain.

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love that name, especially for a hockey team.

Getting the backstory the Silverbacks name makes a little more sense now, but I still think it's kinda silly. I mean I'm sure the Bronx Zoo has some monkeys, but that wouldn't justify calling the Yankees the New York Chimps. In fact, a giant gorilla mascot would make more sense for NY than it does for Atlanta if you go with the King Kong reference lol.

As for new name ideas, I'm sure something better than Silverbacks could be developed if they wanted. I like the old Chiefs and Apollo(s) NASL names. Either of those would work. How about Varsity FC? Has a team ever been named after a hot dog drive in before? lol

Seriously though I think Silverbacks has at least a little name recognition, and failing going with one of the old NASL names they ought to stick with it.

3. ATL PrimeTime

ATL PrimeTime New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone that's interested in the Silverbacks return should be a part of the Atlanta Online Soccer Summit. Thursday, December 16th @ 8pm.

more info @ http://tinyurl.com/atlsummit

4. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Willie B. was the attraction at Zoo Atlanta for many years, hence the name. I think he even made an American Tourister luggage commercial back in the 70's.

Either Chiefs or Apollos would be fine with me, although I think we're a little too PC for Chiefs to come back.

5. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    I'd go with "Pink Elephants" if they put a quality team on the field, do things the right way and have some longevity.

6. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner ATLANTA(have the games on TNT) :rolleyes:
    Atlanta Apes or Primates :rolleyes:

7. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    1. Turner is no longer that much of a presence in ATL, and Ted's long gone. Games on TNT would be cool, though. But it'd probably take a miracle to even get them on CSS.

2. Bleeaah. :D

8. LeftyLeftyOutside

Aug 25, 2010
    Johnson City, TN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or take a step up the evolutionary ladder and go with the Atlanta Human Beings. This could be their mascot:

[​IMG]

That'll instill fear in the opposition. :rolleyes:

9. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I've never liked the name, and if there was ever a time to change it, it's now. I don't think it'll happen though. They're already too invested in it--gorilla costumes don't come cheap, and they lose their resale value pretty quickly.
    [​IMG]

10. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh shows how much I keep up with Turner and Ted lol...

The names were a joke...But I take it you figured that out. :D

Yeah.

11. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    They could use Apollos, and still keep the gorilla costume. Heck, they wouldn't even have to change the colors; just get new uniforms that are just red and white.

12. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Olympic Atlanta?

It's relevant to the city at least. Although truth be told, I don't have a big problem with the current name. And I will also say that the name should mean something to the citizens of the city where the team plays and it really shouldn't matter it the name makes sense to people who are not from that city because the name/ team is not meant for them to identify with.

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    For many people, myself included, Olympic has a bad taste. The '96 Olympics was not exactly the brightest spot in Atlanta history, for various reasons.

14. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll give you the Centennial Park Bombing. But, other than that?

I enjoyed the hell out of the Olympics. We had a blast. Went to several events that we got tickets to. Went to several free events (the bicycle race through the city). Went to Centennial Park several times.

Traffic to and from work was the best I can ever remember. I even walked from Fulton County Stadium down to CNN Center. Try doing that today.

Overall, a wonderful experience (absent the bombing, of course). Would love to host again.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved the Atlanta Olympics too!

16. ikeman07

ikeman07 New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I guess for me, all the political stuff beforehand ruined it. That, and the bombing.

18. ikeman07

ikeman07 New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help us get the new subforum for the Atlanta Silverbacks,

Click here to get it started!

We just need 3 more people to post on the link above. Thanks!

19. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Congrats on signing Fernando González, he played awesome for the PRNT sub-21, he should be a great addition

20. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really like Fernando, good central midfielder that I covered when he played HS/Club soccer in Tampa and then for South Florida.

21. wonder goal

wonder goal New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    southeastern u.s
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found out today! I had given up after last season. This is great. They'll certainly need some better crowds out there. At least more adults.

22. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just tie in the "new Atlanta Chiefs" with the Kaizer Chiefs of South Africa (who were named after the original Atlanta Chiefs) through some kind of co-marketing deal, sister city/sister club deal maybe, and BAM! away go your "PC" problems. Use one kind of PC to negate the other. I calls it the anti-PC jujutsu!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizer_Chiefs_F.C.

If the old logo is "un-PC" create a new one that doesn't reference American Indians. The word "chiefs" doesn't have to refer to American Indians.

23. Highkicker

Highkicker New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    I see the various signings for the team but havent seen any word on goalkeepers. Not an "unimportant" position for any team at any level. Does anyone know what keepers the team is getting ready to sign? The season is only a month away...

24. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was pretty cool that they signed that kid from ADASL. I'm hoping he does well.