Atlanta Silverbacks

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by Andy Bulldog, Jun 20, 2010.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Atlanta Silverbacks formally announced today a long term joint venture with Traffic USA that will see the Atlanta Silverbacks Men's professional team join the North American Soccer League ("NASL") for the 2011 season.

"After working five years to create a league that is team-owner controlled and managed we are thrilled that USSF has sanctioned the NASL and we are excited to get back to playing soccer again," said Boris Jerkunica, Chairman of the Atlanta Silverbacks.

NASL was provisionally approved as the Division II men's outdoor professional soccer league by the Board of Directors of the United States Soccer Federation ("USSF") at its meeting in Toronto, Canada on November 21, 2010. The provisional nature of the sanctioning is consistent with the USSF's bylaws which require approval by the National Council of the USSF. This approval is expected to be forthcoming at the USSF Annual General Meeting in February, 2011 in Las Vegas, Nevada

http://www.nasl.com/article/atlanta-silverbacks-to-play-in-nasl

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is it like "Traffic Sports presents the NASL" now?

Their fingers are in Miami, Atlanta and maybe Carolina and Minnesota now.

4. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    TASL: Traffic's American Soccer League. :D

5. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ikeman07

ikeman07 New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news! I moved here from Dallas a couple of years ago just in time for Atlanta to close up shop. Can't wait!

7. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me know "if" ATL ever gets a MLS club,I only live 5 hrs from ATL. and not driving that far to watch minor leagues(anything at the time under MLS is minor leagues to me), and not driving that far to watch minor leagues . Lets just hope its not the Silverbacks. Cant stand the name. :rolleyes: But hope its not Traffic USA-FC Atlanta either lol.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on all counts

1) well 4 hours from Atlanta
    2) Silverbacks is an awful name
    3) Traffic USA - FC Atlanta - oh oh

9. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    What's up with the complaints about the Silverbacks name? It's original and relevant to the city. Much better than "Beat" or FC.

10. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Or, Ruckus.

11. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you elaborate how Silverbacks is relevant to Atlanta? It's original, sure, but I've always wondered what gorillas had to do with Atlanta, cause it makes no sense to me.

12. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_B.

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The long and the short of it is (in case you haven't checked out the Wikipedia article) this; the new owners of the "Soccer Team Formerly Known as the Ruckus" (or "A-League Atlanta") had some kind of marketing deal with Zoo Atlanta, and took on the name Silverbacks in honor of a silverback gorilla named Willie B. (named after William B. Hartsfield, the Atlanta mayor at the time), who was more or less the main attraction at the zoo for many years (died in 2000). That is how they became known as the Silverbacks.

14. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    There is also the Yerkes Primate Center, in conjunction with Emory University. It is one of the premier primate research facilities in the world, IIRC. And, Zoo Atlanta has a huge gorilla (and other primates) exhibit.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still don't like the name, not sure why, maybe its just the logo.

16. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I always thought it was one of the best soccer logos in the country. You knew two things right away when you looked at it: 1. It was a soccer team 2. It was an American team. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    It looked better when it was blue. :D

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the juvenile name, and I don't think we need a soccer ball in every team's logo. That was something the USL was pushing for, and probably still does.

I guess the other part that I don't like - I don't like the gorilla. When I think of Atlanta I don't think about primates, the zoo, or that mayor.

I think Sherman's March (probably not a great theme for a logo or a team name), I think traffic, heavy traffic.

I haven't thought of a better name, but you could pick any animal and I would be happier.

Atlanta Kings SC - No idea why
    Atlanta Jets
    Atlanta Pilots
    Atlanta Flyers
    Atlanta Coke
    Atlanta Tribe
    Kings of Atlanta
    Atlanta Nexus
    Atlanta Sprawl
    Big South FC

This will piss off the non-Europhiles:

1.FC Atlanta
    FC Atlanta 2010
    Peachtree FC - team color go orange and red (sort of like a peach)

;)

19. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    The whole Sherman's march thing has already been done. Not sure why Calgary wanted to keep the name when the team moved, but so be it. The Lakers, Jazz, (North)Stars and Dodgers name is more fitting of their original cities than their new homes as well.

20. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You criticize the name, but then list a pile of completely ridiculous alternatives? sheesh.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brainstorming. Eventually a better name will come up. Heck the Pilots or Flyers has to be better and reminds me more of Atlanta than Silverbacks.

22. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, I see. Maybe brainstorm secretly from now on? :D

I really don't see anything wrong with keeping the Silverbacks name.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '

But you have a cool team to support. The Silverbacks just lacks something.

24. AtlantaFan

AtlantaFan New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    At least the Silverbacks name has a connection to Atlanta. Maybe there is something better if MLS comes to Atlanta, but I have read lots of posts with other possible names, and I haven't seen anything jump out. Maybe all the good names are taken?

Given the original of the name, I am just glad we are not the Atlanta Willies!!

25. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I also like the Thrashers name. Another good local name connection. But, most people probably don't know that.