Atlanta Silverbacks

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by Andy Bulldog, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why hasn't any one started an Atlanta Silverbacks thread in the NASL subforum?

They're getting a club in 2011.

I think I will pull for them, since they are only 5 hrs from me and my hometown is a lost cause.

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Says who?

From everything we can tell here (ATL), the Silverbacks have about as much of a chance of coming back as FCNY ever playing a game (hence, no subforum). Just because it's on the NASL website doesn't make it so. That logo has been there for a while. The 'Backs were one of the "disgruntled former employees" of the USL who jumped ship to form the NASL, despite being "on hiatus" for the last season. And we all know what "on hiatus" usually means...

Having said that, if they do come back, good for them; we'll see how long it lasts. I enjoyed the games I went to, for the most part. Silverbacks Park is a decent place to watch a game, provided you don't have to go to the can, or want real concessions or anything.

3. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks and I Replied to your other reply about ATL.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, FCNY DOES have a sub-forum: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1378

Like I mentioned earlier, I have heard from a couple of the old coaching staff and they seem to think there is going to be a team next year.

Also, you have to imagine the owner of the Beat must be interested in some level in men's pro soccer. Maybe?

5. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I imagine the Beat are too busy trying to salvage this season, and the league itself, to focus on a men's team. I think the Beat's owner is pretty well committed to what he has now. WPS is on about the same financial level as the USSF D-2 league, or so it seems, so he probably doesn't have the $$$ to do both men's and women's teams.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mispoke. I didn't mean that the Beat owner would necessarily want a Mens pro team, but that someone who did/or had the money might make that move now that there are at least 2 options (SB Park and Kennewick St).

7. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Silverbacks Park would probably be off-limits to anyone other than the Silverbacks, and for the time being, the Kennesaw State (I have no clue where Kennewick State is :D) stadium is dedicated to women's soccer (KSU and the Beat), and possible KSU football, if they go that way. I only know of one other person in this town who would even think about a D-2 men's team, the former owner of the Dream, and personally, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a team, because he has bailed on every team he's owned (ATL Attack, ATL Dream). Having said that, a men's D-2 team would probably do a lot better at KSU than they would at Silverbacks Park again, especially if they had a good owner who would work the community, instead of throwing open the doors and just expecting people to show up.

8. jarich

jarich New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    If the Silverbacks men don't start up by September you can forget about them. It takes a few months to procure players and gather sponsors and do all the other things they need to do. you can't do it in two months. I don't think the owners are interested in having a mens team. He has already experienced losing money every year. But, we will see.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Silverbacks owner was one of the Railhawks owners. He's not listed in this article. Was he a small enough owner that the newspaper didn't care to include him? Or is this a tea leaf that could tell us something?

Anyone know?

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on another thread pointed out that Boris Jerkunica (owner of the Silverbacks) is no longer listed as a owner on the Railhawks website.

I don't know if he was listed in the past or if he is just a minor, silent part-owner now, but it appears as if he doesn't have a connection any more.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

Didn't Tampa, St Louis and Minnesota start up around the new year or later? Less than 4 months before the season began?

12. jarich

jarich New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    If the Silverbacks field a mens team next year I will be the first to come on here and say "I WAS WRONG" but you can take my word for it that they will not. Forget about the Silverbacks. It is not going to happen.

13. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. I use to sell tickets for a soccer team.

The club needs to sell season tickets. And of course hire and train the new employees.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    We can probably call them the Never Back's

16. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lol'ed

17. jarich

jarich New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Ok, i was wrong.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so?

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL yeah, what were you wrong about? S-Backs coming back now?

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure we'll see the announcement in 60-90 days.

21. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not buying it.

24. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what?

Yeah I'm not gonna believe Atlanta's got a team until kickoff.