Atlanta Silverbacks 2014

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by blkbrnrvr, Nov 10, 2013.

1. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure. I don't feel great about everyone who is leaving so far. The quality of the new co-owner should give us an indication of the caliber of coach and players coming in. If he's an unknown who owns a couple local flea markets or something, we're screwed. So far it looks like a fire sale...

2. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    As good as Barrera was, he was also a bit of a liability in that he's a constant red card waiting to happen. Three for violent conduct this year, and it really should have been four when you consider that he got away with that late challenge that left Edmonton's Albert Watson without a couple of teeth.

3. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I'm hoping that's not the case. A few decent signings to replace the departures would alleviate a lot of fears.

Foxinc and TerminusFooty repped this.
  4. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I still can't believe they Fired Haynes and let go of all of Wynalda's Cal FC guys. I don't want to see the backs drop back to the bottom like they were before Wynalda and Haynes.

5. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxinc repped this.
  6. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    I tried to squeeze SOMETHING out of Michael at the ticket office yesterday but he wouldn't spill the goods. He did say "Andy talks to Eric Wynalda every day and he's trying to find us great players. He wants us to succeed." Not a lot, but at least Eric hasn't given up on us? Hopefully we'll hear some good news in the coming week or two.

7. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #57 TerminusFooty, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Good, because their Facebook posts about visiting Hawks practice and auctioning jerseys are doing nothing for me. A lot of the others clubs are putting out good news daily and we get fluff so far.

8. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  9. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
  10. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  12. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    TerminusFooty repped this.
  13. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    "In 2017, who knows what will happen? Could we get acquired by a MLS ownership group like we’ve seen with the majority of their recent expansion teams? Could we be affiliated with them on some level? Could we be just one of multiple professional teams in the market, like in NYC? I think all three of those are possibilities."

From all this it sounds like they are still actively working with Eric Wynalda, and that he is helping us recruit, which is very good.

It also sounds like they have talked to Arthur Blank, and that there may be a chance for a Silverbacks team, in some capacity, if and when MLS arrives.

So far, so good. I at least have some reasons for hope.

I am still anxious to learn more about this new ownership. That will say a lot about our future.

TerminusFooty repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well what I got is that they will keep playing and trying to get people to the games, what ever happens in 2017 or later, time will tell.

That is better than just giving up for sure. Hopefully they are able to find a nice following and if MLS comes to town, maybe they can keep some of that following (enough to survive).

I think I asked this before, but I forgot, how far is Silverbacks Park from the new proposed Stadium?

16. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    15 miles, so about 15/20 minutes with no traffic or 5 hours with traffic.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “@ATLSilverbacks: ATTENTION: The Atlanta Silverbacks will make a major announcement at 10 a.m. tomorrow.”

Wynalda as Manager?

19. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably ownership. They said manager announcement more likely in January.

(BUT Wynalda didn't get the RSL job, so who knows, maybe he's ready to sign on.)

Foxinc repped this.
  20. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  21. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    So. What do the rest of you think? I am in "wait-and-see" mode.

23. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very good news for the Silverbacks. So Traffic is completely divested of an interest in the team now with the 2 co owner groups at 50/50.

That leaves Traffic with only the Carolina Railhawks to find owners for as they've planned all along to keep the Strikers as their team.

24. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    I think having the new owners is good, but it remains to be seen how they act AS owners. Honestly the coach and some new signings will say quite a bit. Will they go the cheapie route and sign a bunch of clowns or go after some names (hell, apparently Shriver, Mulholland, and Denissen are all free agents right now)? Remains to be seen.

25. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I think that's all we can do. Given my other connection to ownership gone wrong (Venky's at Blackburn), I'm probably not as quick to greet this with open arms as others might be. It has the potential to be good for the club, but on the other hand...