Atlanta Silverbacks 2014

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by blkbrnrvr, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  2. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    If this ends up killing the deal, though I have a feeling it won't, maybe we're just not meant to have a striker this season. :thumbsdown:

3. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  4. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never got the word that the March 2 scrimmage was closed to the public so I went to go see what was up. Walked right in and ordered a beer at the bar and sat in the stands. There were 40-50 people there including some from the Ultras over in Section 101. I got there at 1:45 and they were already playing. New goalkeeper, Paulini, Cruz, Randolph and Navarro were all I could pick out. At 2 everyone came off and another group came on and played two 20 min periods. Ati was in goal and Suggs was the only other I recall from last season.

The play was very disjointed, just what is to be expected from a group that has been together for 2 days. I bet many are still trialist looking for a spot. The March 15 and 21st matches should show the bulk of the team with a good two weeks of practice.

5. Milmanias

Milmanias New Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Fayetteville, GA
    Did the Silverbacks have any presence at yesterday's friendly?

6. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  7. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  8. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    They also released Mario Uribe today.

9. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Revisiting this for a moment:
    Thankfully it looks like everything is clear, so now all we have to worry about is him scoring some goals. :)

10. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    I was about to ask where you had heard something but then I remember you're an inside man now! Good to hear, cannot wait for next week.

11. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I don't know if I'd say "inside man" at this point, but they at least let me stand in the doorway. :D

12. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC

Looks like Willie Hunt is trying to catch on with Tampa Bay. Too bad. His versatility alone makes him a desirable guy to have around.

13. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    So who's going to tomorrow's game v. Charlotte?

14. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    I will be there rain or shine. Can't wait to see the new faces and how epic Bobby Reiss' beard has gotten.

15. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Judging by recent pictures, he'll look like the guy from the Dr. Pepper commercials any day now.

Foxinc repped this.
  16. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Silverbacks fall to Eagles 1-0:

http://www.atlantasilverbacksfc.com...s19pwmyyj1603p/silverbacks-fall-to-eagles-1-0

First half was pretty solid. Both McCaulay and Poku had some great chances and once they get into rhythm I can see them scoring up a storm. Defense was good considering it was more or less what I expect to be the starters. Not worried about them at all.

Second half/extra time was awful defense wise. Two players who stood out in a bad way were #7 and #5 - I guess #5 is Blair Gavin but #7 I'm assuming was a trialist since he was on defense and wasn't Junior Sandoval. Blair looked like he was in a total panic every time he got the ball, had no idea what to do. #7 mystery man literally kicked it straight to Charlotte three times in a row right near our own box and almost led to a few more goals.

Speaking of which, the ball control in the second half was awful. So many giveaways.

Overall though not a terrible first outing despite the score. Hopefully next week in Birmingham is much better.

17. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Agree with pretty much all of this. The first half of this one was really all that was worth looking at for any insight into how this season might go. Poku and McCaulay could easily make us forget Luna and Mendes if all goes well.

As ragged as the second half was, I did think Abdul Bangura looked decent.

18. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Was Bangura the one in the jersey with no number? If so he did look good, he made some really smart moves that totally killed plays from Charlotte.

19. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Thankfully he was one of the seemingly few in the second half who had either a number or correct number on his shirt (#15). The only blemish was the late, rash challenge that got him a yellow, but at least we know he doesn't mind getting stuck in. :p

20. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Oh well I guess the other guy was a trialist. I'll have to watch out for him. Anyway despite the score I'm excited for the season.

21. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Anyone else going to the Birmingham game on Friday?

22. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I thought about it, but I think my Friday schedule will make it really tough.

23. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    #248 Foxinc, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Birmingham game was fun. Not sure we're going to get a write-up. Birmingham Hammers did a good job with the game getting 2,000+ in attendance, merchandise, and even a food truck. No beer though :( But they did have a drone!?

Silverbacks won 3-0. Started out shaky and the score should've been 1-0 to UAB as they had a chance early on...until one of their guys cleared it off the line for us. Double agent? The second goal was beautiful - a great strike from outside the box by Lucas the keeper had no chance to get.

One surprise is Kellen Gulley was back as a trialist in the second half. He started out hustling and getting out there doing work, but seemed to struggle with motivation as the game wore on. If he can get his head right he's going to be a great player.

Everybody seems to be coming together. Some fancy passes and backheels were tried so they're getting more comfortable with each other which is good to see. Blair Gavin still looks like he's going to vomit with panic every time he gets the ball though. Still very worried about him. Also Derby is just another level over Eric so I see him as starting GK. Poor Ati.

Also of note is the Ultras got kicked out with about 5 minutes to go in the game. They were in full voice with smoke and everything which seemed to irritate people. Even the coach of UAB came over and complained. However in the parking lot a handful of UAB fans came over and told them they enjoyed it, so whatever. Me and the Eastside rep that went got to stay and finish out the game but we totally missed the third goal because of the shenanigans.

Next up is a double header at Clayton State on Sunday.

ceezmad repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him, hopefully he can get his career back on track.

25. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Well...I went to Sunday's games and there was no sign of him. So I don't know. Maybe he was just sick or injured.

In better news, Blair Gavin played better, Scottie "Mighty Mouse" Rojo did much better since players played the ball to his feet, and Bobby Reiss is moving into the position where he did so well last May. Also there's a guy on the Reserves squad who was a total beast, wouldn't be surprised to see him move up at some point.

Write-up for the games:

http://www.atlantasilverbacksfc.com...w8f8wq/silverbacks-blank-uab-3-0#.UzBMSShFyCY