Atlanta named expansion franchise for 2010

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by Reignking, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/08/11/daily2.html

Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) announced Monday plans to put a team in Atlanta in 2010, which will be the second year of play for the league.

Atlanta’s team will come into the league along with an expansion franchise from Philadelphia, joining teams in Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New Jersey/New York, St. Louis, and Washington D.C. Atlanta's WPS team name, logo, colors, coaching and front office staff will be announced later.

2. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news!

But hope no one lobbies to bring back the Beat name..... ugh

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than having a women's team called the "Silverbacks." ;)

But, yes, it's great news no matter what they call them.

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about that :rolleyes:

5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    As a Beat fan since Day 1, I can assure you, the name will be most welcome by all of their fans.

6. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure you would welcome it! The Beat had great support, a great record and passionate fans..... just was my least favorite of the old WUSA names.... might have something to do with me being a Breakers fan from Day 1 huh? :D

In any case, another committed investor is great news, and Atlanta is a great location. I am happy for all the Beat fans, even the ones I used to "debate" with on a regular basis ;)

7. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Now, I'm as much of a Beat-hating Breakers fan as anyone (that team really did have our number, huh?), but in a league with a team called the CyberRays, I can't complain about the Beat name. I'm in favor of continuity with old WUSA team names/colors/logos - it helps old WUSA fans identify with the new league.

Congrats Beat fans! It's interesting to see so many expansion plans when there are still a few 2009 teams that seem a bit shaky.

8. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    If by interesting, you mean, frightening, then yes. But happy thoughts, happy thoughts, and all that.

(And you're spot on about the Cyberrays. :D )

9. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like the Cyberrays name any better, but didn't mind 'Rays...

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose Aftershocks?

11. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    You interpreted me correctly. I don't like that the first news we hear from Dallas is bad news, St. Louis has been very quiet, and I haven't heard a word from LA. It looks like the league should be in decent shape, if all goes well, by 2010, but this was already delayed a year. With a month until allocations, I can't help but think that things should be further along by now.

Any idea how many teams they're aiming for?

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Compared to the WUSA timeline from way back, it seems like things are progressing at a normal rate. But yet, the information coming out of the WPS is sluggish at best. I realize they don't have the buzz the WUSA did, but everything just seems to be trickling out, piece by piece.

See here for the 2000 WUSA Timeline.*

So, it's really not as far behind as we might think. BUT ... There's just something. I don't know.

I guess I'm halfway expecting them to bail on the 2009 season, then do some promotional exhibition tour next summer with what teams/players they do have. Or do a mini season or something redonk to try and buy them some more time.

Not really. I know they wanted 8 for their first year. Not sure how many expansion teams they're gunning for.

* -- I'm not entirely convinced they did do player allocations in May. I could have sworn it was done after the Olympics. And I don't have my media guides handy to double check.

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPS needs to capitalize on any press that they can get -- and that's right now, during or just after the Olympics.

14. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That thought crossed my mind too, but I think that would do incredible harm after already bailing on 2008.
    It sounds like Chicago, Boston, DC and NJ are on pretty solid ground at this point. The silence from LA bothers me, but it was pointed out to me that AEG already has the infrastructure in place, they need to flip a couple switches but they are not exactly a start-up operation.
    Dallas having no stadium and using that as a reason to postpone any other action bothers me.... particularly since that is the ONLY news out of Dallas. I know the Breakers had people in place and started marketing months before anything was settled regarding a venue.
    I suspect St Louis will do everything possible to make things happen there. Cooper has a strong track record and his group wants an MLS team too..... I think they will be putting their best foot forward....
    So maybe 2009 opens with 6 teams, adding up to 4 more in 2010?

15. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I am so afraid that they will bail on the season. I would rather see them play a single table season with the 7 teams, but will they have 7 teams ready to go?

Maybe 4 or 5 unless things change in a hurry.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It looks like AEG has other things on their plate also. LA Galaxy, No full time coach, no general manager, team in disaray.

17. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure what impact the GM/Coach issues the Galaxy are undergoing would have on the WPS side, and it doesn't impact there organizational/sales/operations at this point.
    At one time AEG was the investor/operator of how many MLS teams simultaneously, 3 or 4? Not to mention all their other holdings.

18. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Digging out my old media guide, it says May 24, 2000. I do remember them announcing the Breakers allocated players at a Gold Cup match that summer.

More from the Breakers 2001 media guide - their coach was hired in October. The international allocation draft was October 30, and the official unveiling of team names and logos was November 2. The Breakers did not announce their home venue until January 2001, though they were taking season ticket deposits well before that point.

So you're right - the timeline is not that far off from WUSA, with the exception of earlier allocations. I guess it's just the fact that this was already deferred a year that makes me think they should be further along.

19. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another factor is that WUSA was single entity lending itself to big league-wide announcements, while we are getting things piecemeal by individual franchise, and some seem far ahead of others.... so maybe its just some are well ahead of the curve, making the others and league as whole seem behind.....

20. WPSFan

WPSFan Member

Jun 4, 2008
  21. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article. So refreshing that he wants to bring a winner to Atlanta! I am so tired of all those new owners who promise to provide a mediocre product to their fans! :D

22. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I used to watch the beat play, especially since Maribel Dominguez played there, I went to a few games, the atmosphere was chill, family-like ... I miss those days, I had fun, atleast I got to watch a soccer ball kicked' around professionally hehehe... Cindy Parlow, and what was the Canadian Girl's name, she was really good

23. American Kopite

American Kopite New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charmain (sp?) Hooper! I think she's still playing for Canada, right? I do hope that the WPS starts next year and stays around. And I hope that Indianapolis gets a team!!!:D

24. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yep her Charmaine Hooper she was pretty awesome!
    Don't matter to me anymore if the Beat Errrr Atlanta gets a team, cuz am moving to Guadalajara, Mexico and will be watching MY Chivas play live. :D

25. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States