Atlanta Area General Soccer News Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by USvsIRELAND, Jul 28, 2016.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    http://news.wabe.org/post/marta-plans-indoor-soccer-field-five-points-station

This is cool news and I thought we could use a thread like this.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer in the Streets, Atlanta United and MARTA Unveil 'Station Soccer'
    The unveiling took place at the official launch of the Atlanta United Foundation
    ATLANTA (Oct. 27, 2016) - Soccer in the Streets, Atlanta United and MARTA today unveiled 'Station Soccer - Five Points', a project to help develop grassroots soccer and provide life skills programs to Atlanta's underserved urban communities. The project represents the first soccer field inside the perimeter of a transit station in the world.Digital assets from the event found here.
    The unveiling of Station Soccer took place at the official launch of the Atlanta United Foundation (AUF), which strives to make the game of soccer accessible and inclusive for individuals across the State of Georgia. The Foundation's first two grants enabled Soccer in the Streets to bring the beautiful game to the MARTA system, as well as to initiate soccer programs with Atlanta Public Schools (APS) in communities on the westside.
    "Our MARTA Five Points project represents an opportunity for our youth to engage in programs where transportation may have been a limiting factor," said Lauren Desmond, Soccer in the Streets' Director of Coaching and Education. Desmond is also delighted with the program expansion: "thanks to the AUF, we have already implemented an after-school soccer program in six APS elementary schools that has served 240 children. The support of the AUF, APS, and local families are key factors in building a soccer culture on the west side."Soccer in the Streets hopes the new field becomes a flagship for urban soccer, especially since the organization is planning to replicate what has been done at Five Points inside or near ten other metro stations. "By building a network of communities around transit we are integrating youth and adults whilst we grow the soccer culture and giving access to all." said Soccer in the Streets' board member Sanjay Patel. "We do hope to make the vision of a league of stations become a reality".
    Renderings of Station Soccer - Five Points MARTA Station found here.
    Soccer in the Streets will administer programming at Station Soccer, placing emphasis on youth development and community outreach through soccer. Programming will include: establishing mentoring sessions, promoting employability among young people, and developing grassroots soccer programs.

"Over the years, Soccer in the Streets has been working towards a sustainable and comprehensive program model that is an integral part of the community," said Soccer in the Streets' Chief Program Officer Jill Robbins. "By creating infrastructure and a 'soccer culture' we are better able to serve kids and their families throughout their years of involvement with their 'soccer family.'"

As part of its new push for expanding free youth programs, Soccer in the Streets is introducing adult leagues at Station Soccer, postulating a philanthropic side to competitive play. Every dollar spent by adult teams at Station Soccer will help fund youth programs, establishing a unique sustainability model.

"Our organization is spearheading a social enterprise approach," said Soccer in the Streets' Executive Director Phil Hill. "In order to increase the reach of our free youth programs, we are determined to employ a sustainability model based on adult leagues, providing a great urban soccer experience for players".

The unveiling of Station Soccer at the official Atlanta United's Foundation launch featured Arthur Blank, owner of Atlanta United; Darren Eales, president, Atlanta United; Keith Parker, MARTA General Manager and Chief Executive Officer; and Phil Hill, Soccer in the Streets' Executive Director.Station Soccer - Five Points MARTA Station features turf and lighting infrastructure provided by GreenFields USA, Musco/Cree Lighting and the U.S. Soccer Foundation.
    ABOUT SOCCER IN THE STREETS
    Soccer in the Streets empowers underserved youth through sports-based training, character development, mentoring, and employability programs. Our organization serves in a holistic and comprehensive way, reaching kids on the field, in small-group classroom sessions, through hands-on experiences and activities, and participation in youth leadership councils. We are extremely efficient, making great use of the resources we have been given to achieve the mission. Find out more about Station Soccer - Five Points MARTA Station and Soccer in the Streets at: www.stationsoccer.com and www.soccerstreets.org, and follow @soccerstreets.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer in the Streets Announces ATL Champions League 2017

The reigning champions, Atlanta United, are returning to defend last year's title

ATLANTA (Feb. 27, 2017)
    -
    'Soccer in the Streets' announced today the seventh annual ATL Champions League 2017, one of its traditional fundraising events. The tournament, to be held on May 21st, is set to break all previous records, as it is set to grow from 12 to 16 participating teams, with an average of 240 players hitting the pitch.Digital assets foundhere.
    "In recent years, we have had to leave interested players out because the teams fill up so quickly, leaving disappointed people on the waiting list. This year we are addressing that and taking it to another level," said Bill Ford, Event Chairman.

The ATL Champions League sees the city's most passionate soccer fans, representing fifteen of the most illustrious European soccer teams and our own Atlanta United FC, battle it out for the title both on and off the pitch. Behind the competitiveness and fun lays the most important aspect of this tournament: raising funds to bring soccer to lower income communities while leveling the playing field regardless of socio-economic status. The tournament helps Soccer in the Streets provide sustainable free youth soccer programs that cultivate change, education, and empower children.Soccer in the Streets provides access and opportunities to disadvantaged children in urban neighborhoods. Using soccer as the medium, the non-profit has instilled healthy lifestyles and positive choices to thousands of children in the metro Atlanta area. With a holistic approach, the organization centers its programs on character development, life skills, mentoring, and employability. Since its establishment in 1989, Soccer in the Streets ensures all children have a chance to succeed on and off the field.
    The ATL Champions League 2017 will take place in metro Atlanta, with a special announcement unveiling the location due mid-March. The reigning champions, Atlanta United, are returning to defend last year's title. Registrations are now open with teams filling up quickly.

To sign up or to learn more about the event visit the ATL Champions League page.

ABOUT SOCCER IN THE STREETS

Soccer in the Streets empowers youth through sports-based training, character development, mentoring, and employability programs. Our organization serves in a holistic and comprehensive way, reaching kids on the field, in small-group classroom sessions, through hands-on experiences and activities, and participation in youth leadership councils. We are extremely efficient, making great use of the resources we have been given to achieve the mission. Find out more about Station Soccer - Five Points MARTA Station and Soccer in the Streets at: www.stationsoccer.com and www.soccerstreets.org, and follow @soccerstreets.

Media Contacts:
    Lee Woodsmall- Event Manager, 334-524-0164; Lee@soccerstreets.org
    Jose E. Devarez - Director, Development and Communications, Jose@soccerstreets.org

5. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    Does ATL United have an official suggestion box? I was sitting behind the goal (opposite the supporters section) and it was quite an experience with Red Bulls taking warm-up shots and half of them going into the crowd. Eventually some lady got beamed right in the face, it looked like she was in a lot of pain. Then, when people were distracted looking at her, someone else took another one to the face. Putting up some nets during warmup would do wonders for that.

6. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Another reason to hate NJ Red Drinks!

7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So would paying attention if you're seated behind a goal during warm ups. That's like taking a nap on train tracks and complaining to a rail road company that you got run over.

Rabbi Keane repped this.
  8. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got a soft heart, you know?

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You can submit an email to the team but the reality is they're unlikely to do anything.

- I hate to see anyone get hurt but the reality is that people in the seats at sporting events need to be mindful of their environment. Foul balls, deflected pucks, etc. Ticket policies include language reminding fans of this and absolving the teams from fault. Caveat emptor. And keep in mind how many fans clamor to be close to the game.

- Can't blame NYRB. They're allowed to warm up.

- Nets sound like a good idea but ultimately impractical unless incorporated into the design, and most other venues get by without them. Unless you wanna leave them up permanently a la some European venues. (Should we put them up all around, to protect players from stuff thrown onto the field?!)

- Ushers and field crew are supposed to respond when people are injured in the stands. If they didn't respond quickly enough, and let's be honest some lag is to be expected, then that's an issue for them.

At just 7 more games I don't see anything changing, though perhaps going forward the ushers can be more proactive in alerting fans to the hazard.

10. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, it's a way of killing off the weak.

Eleven Bravo, GunnerJacket and GoDawgsGo repped this.
  11. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    Disagree. According to that logic we wouldn't need airbags, seat belts, bumpers, car insurance,.... Fact of the matter is that out of the hundreds of people sitting behind that goal, not all of them will pay attention. So why not put in place some simple safety measures?

12. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got some. They're called eyes. Shots on goal during warm ups are 5-8 minutes. Pay attention or move during those few minutes if you're seated behind a goal. It's really that simple.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cost/benefit assessment comes into play, as does a recognition of some decidedly different conditions. I'm not trying to be snarky, but there's a reason we don't enter the real world wearing inflatable safety suits, or better yet stay inside the whole time for our protection. Seat belts and air bags are there to save lives because the risk associated with driving is far greater than, say, sitting in a stadium, and because driving is a more prevalent need versus experiencing a sporting event. Socially we've decided that nets are vital for protection against hard, rocket-fast baseballs but are not necessary for stray basketballs, tennis balls, pro golf shots or soccer balls. And off a quick Google check I haven't seen an epidemic of fans being hospitalized due to wayward soccer shots.

Maybe a day comes when it's needed but we're not there yet. For now most fans would rather have the unobstructed view than add more cost to their experience. As someone with front row season tix (Sec 118), if I get struck by a shot while not looking then sucks for me but life happens.

Again, sorry she's hurt and not saying she's at fault. Merely saying that no one is at fault because "life happens."

14. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    My suggestion was to just put it there during warmups because you get a bunch of shots in a very small period of time. I wouldn't want it there during the game. I didn't know the lady that got hit, but i felt bad because she did not seem like a diehard fan and it may have been her first soccer game ever. I think attracting fans like that is important and I'd rather spend a few bucks to make their experience a little more safe.

15. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly the answer is to ask opposing teams to not use REAL balls when taking shots. They could mime shooting, or use balloons - which would be colorful and fun for everybody.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Easy Dr.

Snahdog, I hear you and I'm not saying your query is without merit. I merely feel this is something where I think the proposal is impractical (in terms of literally putting it into place) and not necessary. If we experience an epidemic then fine, we've cause to redress the issue, but of all the soccer games played every day around the globe this is simply not a habitual problem. But feel free to email the club and perhaps they have a means and will to accommodate.

Guys, I'm closing off this particular sidebar discussion here since it seems trending toward a loop. If you disagree PM me, otherwise no more about it. Thanks.

17. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, Gunner? This is what I'm worried about

18. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    We disagree. No need to be a dick about it.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like the ATL team won.

Silverbacks stadium... so there is still something named after those guys.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was watching the internet feed. Atlanta won in kicks taken from the penalty spot. It looked like Atlanta might have taken a red card for a pretty nasty foul which took place right in front of the bench area. Quite a bit of hugging and kissin' but no punches thrown. Appears to my eye that they might have played a man down for some of the 2nd half and the OTs. Looked like at least a few hundred peep were there.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Great on the win, not so much on the few hundred people...

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I'm certain the limited crowd size was entirely related to COVID...but they were pretty loud.

24. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's a ginga?

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United