ATL UTD Manager Search Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by USvsIRELAND, Jul 28, 2016.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    What is going on here? They need to get on this soon

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eales has suggested they have several candidates in mind and offer packages already designed. At least one article has implied they've brought in a couple non-MLS candidates to see the city, facilities, etc. My guess is that they're favoring someone involved in the league now and waiting till his season is nearly over before making a move. I'm not as familiar with the slate of assistants in MLS and who might be the next big candidate, tho.

4. mlara_sc

mlara_sc New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USvsIRELAND repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not a bad get with regards to technical expertise and global appeal among most players. Would obviously be viewed as a connection for reaching into the South American markets. Not sure how he would feel about/do in a job built from scratch, or doing MLS in Atlanta in general. Bet he would be a great asset for building the academy, though.

Pending something we don't know behind the scenes I'd take him.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USvsIRELAND repped this.
  8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    It's hard to complain about this hire.

I hope we at least give him time to build something and not fire him after one bad season.

9. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. My guess is as long as he doesn't lose the locker room (and nothing I've heard says he would) they'd give him time to build something.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't imagine "the locker room" will be an issue. If anything it will be the adjustment to the level of play and player development in MLS, combined with the particulars of Atlanta/US culture. Let's be honest - On its face this place will be quite different to everywhere else the guy has been so I hope there's enough here to keep him and his family happy.

Other than that I agree, there's little cause for disagreeing with the selection. He's knowledgeable, he's lead teams to successful campaigns including runs in cup play, he knows about dealing with internationals, and he seems committed to developing the academy. From a resume standpoint I don't know that there's anyone else available that would be discernibly better and interested. Count me among those prepared to stand behind and support Mr. Martino full out!

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  11. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    This could be an excellent hire. Could be a disaster but the high ceiling is worth the risk.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Honestly, I don't see how this could backfire. At the absolute least he's here for a couple years and exposes Bocanegra to a few more of his South American contacts and the team gets a short-term jolt in the academy development process. If we have to struggle for a few years but they bring in solid kids and coaches to start building a bona fide program then I'm okay with that. My wish for AUFC is to see them regularly producing players who make top flight teams and contend for national team places, trusting that in time will yield competitive club teams on the field. Given how Blank and Co. have gone about their business I think it can and might just happen. They're not thinking of just getting into the league but being a serious player down the line, and this move matches that mindset.

I do think as today's AJC article points out it's critical that they get 1-2 assistants with real MLS experience to help Tata. Everything from league style and scheduling to reading the nuances of the different venues and travel demands. Would not be surprised if one of those hires is done with an eye towards being Tata's successor several years down the line. Let the international expert come in and build global connections and brand awareness while the understudy learns the tricks and then assumes the helm.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This means the first time his job is under fire we can recycle all the "Save the Tatas!" merchandise, no? Does he like the color pink, you think?

USvsIRELAND and Reccossu repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Very good hire. Tata is one of those managers that players want to play for. Also, the Argentinian methodology for player development is phenomenal and Newell's Old Boys is one of the best. There is a reason why a lot of the current greatest players in the world are from the Rosario region. I expect that if this is truly a foundation building hire and they give him a good three years at a minimum then a really good system will be put into place.