ATL Silverbacks Reserves

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by CARBONERO25, Feb 12, 2013.

1. CARBONERO25

CARBONERO25 Member

May 12, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea when the Reserves start training or holding tryouts? Can a college player play on the reserves and still have eligibility?

2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Reserves To Take Hiatus in 2013 02/22 - News | Atlanta Silverbacks ...

No idea why they went on hiatus for the 2013 season, maybe it doesn't make much sense for NASL teams, maybe it is too expensive

Maybe some posters on BS can give us some information

3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding ding ding ding! Especially this NASL team.

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Boris is a cheapo ? :)

5. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone is when they're trying to sell their team.

6. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, Traffic is trying to sell their majority share. Don't know if Boris is trying to sell his minority share. I don't know Boris' finances, but he may just not be able to afford it. It could be that Traffic is cutting back.

7. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Boris has always been tight with the money. I never could get the full story on no reserves for the season. When I asked some people that would know I got very vague answers. They just didn't want to talk about it right now. Maybe in the future we will get some more info.

8. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boris has a big interest in helping Traffic make the sale. It's the only way his stake in the team will ever grow in value.

9. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if any prospective buyers are waiting to see what happens with MLS and Arthur Blank. Having an MLS team in town could also affect the value.

10. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest word is Traffic and Boris have their shares up for sale. Funding the reserves for the season would have cost about $25k. From ticket sales they bring in nothing. Last year the team did make money though. The deal for Klute brought in $50k I have heard. Plus they brought Ati and Willis up to the pro team. To me it looks that management is not looking past the fall of 2013.

brentgoulet repped this.
  11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Is Silverbacks Park going to part of the sale?

12. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who wants to lobby Arthur Blank to buy our club and cultivate the fanbase before we enter MLS in 2017, here's the contact link:

http://newatlantastadium.com/contact/

A couple facts:

His current VP used to be GM for the Columbus Crew.

New stadium design specs include strict adherence to FIFA standards and attention to lower bowl atmosphere for MLS games.

Recent interview with NASL executive on The Tailgate Show revealed that NASL will likely move to unbalanced schedule after west coast teams are added, so that difference between the leagues will be gone.

The stadium has been approved, and Blank is still speaking publicly about wanting a soccer club:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ould-be-successful-says-nfl-falcons-president

So he IS serious about it.
    -----
    May not seem ideal, but it would be nice NOT to have this team fold after 2013.

brentgoulet repped this.
  13. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I've heard that Boris will retain ownership of the park and he wants to force any new ownership group to be bound to a contract to play at the park. I think the park does well enough without the pro team to survive, but having a revenue stream from the pro team on top can't hurt.

So between the Blank wants MLS and Boris's demands to lock the team into a stadium contract, I'm not really confident they will find a buyer. Some have wished Blank would buy it. I think he has no reason to. Especially if he is bound to keep the team at Silverbacks Park.

14. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would have to play at the park until 2017 anyways. Would that not be long enough for Boris? Could Blank offer some incentive to make Boris happy with that?

It would just be nice to have some continuity and not have another club fold on us. I know that may not motivate Blank, but if enough fans make it known we want the club to keep going, he may be motivated to cultivate this fanbase (rather than starting from scratch).

brentgoulet repped this.
  15. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might just be PR spin, but here is the Commish's take on it from an interview in February:

Peterson says the league is in discussion with potential local ownership in both Atlanta and Carolina, but there is no rush to sell the clubs. Traffic plans to keep ownership of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, and is pursuing a long-term stadium situation in South Florida.

"They are both in growth mode and when we settle on the right owners, and the right situations, we will complete the deals. We are in a very good position with those."

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/nasl2.php?article_id=32823

I am prepared to be disappointed, but I really hope this is true.

16. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any updates on the sale and the future of the club after this season?

17. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Somebody convince Wynalda to buy the club. Please.

18. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure he has the cash. NASL owners are required to be worth at least $20 million, I think.

19. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I was being somewhat tongue in cheek, but one can dream, right? :D

TerminusFooty repped this.
  20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

with all those announced sellout crowds, I am sure this will be no problem ;)

21. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    The sellouts have looked quite real to the naked eye of late. :thumbsup:

GoDawgsGo, TerminusFooty and brentgoulet repped this.