At LAST, soneone's had the guts to say it...

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Naughtius Maximus, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/jun/22/mumbling-actors-theatre-chiefs?guni=Keyword:news-grid aux-1 Pixies:pixies:position5

Too many actors mumble their way through their lines, neither enunciating nor projecting words clearly enough for audiences to understand them, according to leading figures in theatre.

Edward Kemp, artistic director of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (Rada) and actress Imogen Stubbs are infuriated by the mutterers, who they believe let down playwrights and audiences. Kemp said that some directors and producers encouraged mumbling, believing that "laidback mumbling is more truthful".

I've been thinking this for some time... that film actors, in particular, seem to spend half their time whispering to each other, like the script's some kind of secret the audience aren't supposed to know.

Most of the time watching films nowadays I'm shouting 'SPEAK UP' at the TV. Pretty depressing :(

riverplate repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    YES! As an registered old fart who has worked in noisy environment all my life as well as being in a mortar team and rifle team in the paras, (No ear protection back then.) I have trouble in the movies as they use that harsh, guttural whisper, (It's cool.. :rolleyes: ) that I can't hear.

Fortunately the 2 theaters I frequent will lend headsets to people who ask for them. Helps a lot.
    I have a wireless headset at home as well. Prolly saved the marriage. :) Look into a set, you'll wonder how you did without it.

Ismitje and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've thought about those but they look rather large. Not sure I'd like to wear them all the time watching TV but I suppose it's only while I'm watching films.

It's still bloody annoying though. WHY they can't just speak properly I DON'T know :mad:

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Because it's cool....!

The headset does take a bit of getting used to and as you say, it's best for movies. Almost impossible to make comments if you're with someone, like a wife or girlfriend. Perhaps that's a good thing.
    (Never watch with the two of them)

They was good this morning watching the British GP from Silverstone in Engerland. Too early to wake the wife with engine noise so I just sat back in bed and kept quiet.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As long as it's for a good reason then, I s'pose it's OK!
    Knew I was doing something wrong. They keep fighting over the TV remote.
    I hear Hamilton flamed out early with tyres or whatever.

Anyway... regarding acting... just good to see there's at least one country maintaining the quality of the art...

Dr. Wankler and usscouse repped this.
  6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I blame these guys.........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ziqc6uOIrZc

Hamilton wasn't the only one with tyre problems, I think a total of 4, left rear tyres blew out. A major coup for Pirelli...:rolleyes:

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Y'know, I ever really got 'into' Seinfeld and, at a certain point, it becomes a point of principle. The fact that others like it so much just SHOWS how right I am in rejecting it. :)

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Done that with several shows myself. Mad Men being the latest.
    There's a certain snob value in saying, "No, too mainstream, not my cup of tea."

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I never started watching Mad Men either.

With films the little woman usually asks, 'Is it American?' with a disapproving look which I interpret as her not being happy about an answer in the affirmative. As I keep pointing out' OK, we'll watch a British film.... oh, wait'!

We get an AWFUL lot of American stuff on the telly over here and most of it I don't watch for the reason you've identified but sometimes I miss out. I didn't watch 'The Wire' when it first came out and found it to be a good show some years later when I DID start watching it.

My way of thinking is that, if I'd started watching it when everyone else was I, I would a simple minded idiot, brow beaten into adopting the habits of the herd... when I start watching it years later, I'm being 'ironic'.

Hey! We're British... that's what we do.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

You're really missing out on Mad Men. I can understand doing this for shows of lower quality (like Breaking Bad, for a controversial example), but skipping out on Mad Men is a mistake...it has a real depth and subtlety about it, I think you Brits would appreciate the respect it pays to the audience.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... might do. I could always get a 'I'm still ironic' badge made to emphasise the point I suppose.

Never really fancied Mad Men much though and I've often thought it might be because I actually remember the period it's set in... the 60's as I understand it. I also have very little interest in watching rich people as I find them utterly boring and tedious, even in real life.

Still, I might give it a try.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This Brit has been here for as long as I was there..:)
    I tried getting into mad men, perhaps I picked a couple of bad episodes. I just let it go. I lived in California in the 60's that might have been enough.
    I know the ratings are good and the awards are there. Just couldn't handle the male lead, so much arrogance I wanted to smack him.

Perhaps I'll go to Netflix one day.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I found stuff like Dallas the same back in the day... who wants to see rich people 'toffing around'.

Er... not that I'm saying Mad Men is the same as Dallas, obviously.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Same here, regarding rich people. And yet... my wife and I liked Downton Abbey so far, and we actually used to watch Dallas just because it was so bad (I still remember gagging on a mouthful of beer when a plane was landing and the words "Paris, France" came up to suggest the plane was landing in, well, Paris, France. Then in the background, just as the words faded, one of these...

[​IMG]

Now, if there actually is one of these near the deGaulle, let me know and I'll apologize to Dallas).

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You sure it wasn't this:.......
    [​IMG]
    Dallas was 'hot' just when I first arrived here. Another I didn't watch...:)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My guess would be, 'no', there isn't. But I might be wrong as I've never flown there. I drove most of the way round the peripherique once... NOT something I would wish to repeat again on account of the French being batshit crazy drivers.

I agree about Dallas as well. The wife used to watch a show called 'Sunset Beach' for a while on the same basis... it was so bad, it was actually quite entertaining :D

Mind you, at least you could tell what JR was saying most of the time... there is that.

17. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Turns out there is one.

http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?id=s0022508

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm watching this at a public library and since I don't have ear buds and don't want to use the public ones, I'm watching this with closed captions (English: Automatic Captions... It reads... well:

"Diligence the anniversary this exterminators C.N.N.s all you want hand written fastrackids."

20. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    A whole nuther subject I know.... But I loved driving in France! Couple of years ago we spent a week in Paris and another 4 weeks driving the country. Fantastic time.
    Paris was crazy but it doesn't take long to 'get' the system and out intimidate the Parisians. Scared the pants off my wife at times, especially around the Arc de Triomphe but I had a ball.

One ticket in 5 weeks wasn't bad, for me!
    Radar sucks!!!

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, you do! Luckily, none of the ones on that page are like the one on Dallas. Assuming my memory is accurate, and it probably isn't.

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I have no idea about it, was way before my time, just thought it was interesting.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that's not entirely accurate. :eek:

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not hard to intimidate other drivers in Paris if you don't give a shit about your car.

Driving north, away from the Arc De Triomphe, I was on 4 lane road, (so 2 in each direction), without a central Island. Behind me were a new looking Corvette and a VERY beat up old 2CV, (with both wing mirrors hanging off), both vying for position behind me as the road was reduced from 4 to 2 lanes. I watch as both tried to push the other across the road so they could be in front. Eventually the fella in the Corvette's nerve gave out and he dropped back.

Good stuff :)