Rumor: Aston Villa in for Simek

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 13, 2008.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, screwy aint it.

Again, says loads about their opinion on him if this rumor is still lingering even despite his lengthy injury. Would be sad to see him go from club standpoint, but nat standpoint, if hes starting at Villa, it would be impossible for him to be anything less than a number two. That is unless some other right back emerged and signed with an annual UEFA Cup place contender.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The right back who's the starter and sometimes captain of a UEFA Cup contender is..........Steve Cherundolo.

That guy has to be one of the most underappreciated American players of all time.

3. SCFootballFanatic

SCFootballFanatic New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no doubt Dolo is the #1 choice right back for the USA right now.

I am just frustrated that Simek has barely gotten a chance to show that he is THE #2 USA right back (when he was healthy at least)

Much in the same way that Jay Demerit (who in my opinion is the best USA CB) has not gotten much of a chance.

Of course this is a different debate for a different forum.

Hopefully Simek's injury is not too serious, would love to see him in the colors of the Villa.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post doesn't make sense. In sincerity or as humor.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Simek's has had several long-term injuries in a row, and has been unable to play for both club and country.

But before we bash Bob Bradley (which I realize is a past-time for some people) for not calling him up more often, please remember that the closest we've had to our "A" team all together under his leadership was the 2007 Gold Cup. Frankie Simek was indeed a member of that squad, and played in the final versus Mexico when Spector got injured.

Simek is clearly part of Bob's plans, but has barely been healthy since that Gold Cup.

6. SCFootballFanatic

SCFootballFanatic New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry, an attempt to make a jab at Bob Bradley's national team selection....obviously didnt get the point across.

My point was, no matter how well Simek does at Villa, Bradley will probably never select him anyways, seeing how he has an obsession with lesser players. (in my opinion)

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your assertion is at odds with the known facts.

I didn't like the Bradley hire at the time and still don't like it, but I don't use Simek to make my point.

8. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what the whining is about here. As far as I know, Bob has picked Simek ahead of Moor when the former is available (e.g. the Gold Cup). AFAIK Simek's had the misfortune of not being available for just about every fixture since thanks to a run of injuries.

9. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now what do you mean by Bob's '' obsession with lesser players ? ''

Bradley has taken looks at almost every player deserving of a look in the US player pool , including Simek.

if you are referring to his continuous call ups of Eddie johnson , look at the circumstances . With Olympic qualifying and the MLS schedule, Bob doesnt have a lot of choices , like we saw during the Poland and England games.

Bob will call in Simek ( like he has already done ) if he shows that he deserves it.

10. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    I came in at the end of this thread and am just curious: Does this extend to every player in the pool, or is this Simek-specific (the concept, not the thread)?

11. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    To those who aren't good persons yet.:cool:

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Well, I was just about to come on here and drop a semi-witty line, like "With Frank moving to the Premiership, can Drew Moor be far behind?" Obviously some people have tried to beat me to it. To be fair to Hardworkin' Bob, I think Simek would have had more caps if he had not been injured. That said, if in six months we're still playing Hejduk and Moor while Simek (and maybe a healthy Spector) earn starting spots at right back in the EPL, expect it to quickly become a heated topic. But we should wait til we get there.

Anyway, hopefully this goes through. It would be great.

13. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with you. If Simek had been healthy, he would have gotten more call-ups, remember he did play in the Gold Cup final. As for Spector, he seems like he's becoming something of a utility player us and West Ham. He's played at RB, D-Mid, and CB. Plus, he has his problems with injuries as well. Regardless, the fact we have depth at this position, as well as others, bodes well for US Soccer. I hope this move comes through for Simek. I think he definitely is Premiership-quality.

14. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i haven't seen enough of simek to rate him, but i do hope he gets a chance to play in the BPL and stay healthy while he's there.

i agree that cherundolo is a lock as the starting RB, and i'd like to see someone emerge as a lock as the #2. whether it's moore, spector, simek, etc. frankie can't play forever...or can he?

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The thing that really stands out about Simek was that lockdown 15 minutes on Guardado in the Gold Cup championship. One of the best 15-minute sub performances we've seen from a Nat in a long time.

If he were to earn a starting spot with Villa, would he be the American field player who starts on the highest-caliber club? Villa is usually on the upper end of mid-table, correct?

16. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jozy started for Villarreal, I'd put him on top. Of course, that probably won't happen, but as long as we're dancing with hypotheticals....

17. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to cast a negative pall on the proceedings, but it would be a real shame if Frankie's injury issues turn out to be chronic. We do have depth at the position, but he seems to be the most natural young RB that we have.

18. Hammerette 1

Hammerette 1 Member

May 24, 2007
    England
    No

6th, 11th, 16th, 10th, 6th, 16th, 8th

19. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Yes, I'm glad you asked! 5th in the all time Premier League table!:D

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, but surely you can't count O'Leary years.

:)

21. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley at Rangers, maybe?

22. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    that's what i was gonna say.

23. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'd have to give it to the Rangers, close but consistent CL appearances (and lately doing very well) wins. I also couldn't see Villa getting as far in the UEFA Cup as the huns.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If Walter Smith is right and not blowing smoke up people's arses - and there's no reason he can't do both - Gers can't afford £4M for Villa's cast-off Steven Davis (currently with Fulham).

With the Prem financial muscle, clubs of the AV level will feature a $15M min player at every position.

SPL, even Gers and Bhoys, can't compete with that.

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001

In terms of best team, that might well be right. In terms of playing for the best team in high-caliber competition week in, week out, that's another thing.