Rumor: Aston Villa in for Simek

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 13, 2008.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7452144.stm

Im much higher on Simek than most people, probably for obvious reasons. I think he is a different kind of defender who brings a different style to the board. Wether its the ancient link to Everton, or this one, if Simek can get in the Premiership it instantly thrusts him into the USMNT picture.

He's been injured since mid November of last year, and for Aston Villa to show this kind of interest after being on the shnide for so long says all that needs to be said about Simek; he is one of the best defenders in the fizzy pop.

2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to see Frank Simek back on the map. He has indeed struggled with injuries in the last year, but the Simek I remember is one played quite well last summer in the Gold Cup and who earned Player of the Season honors at Wednesday in 2006-07. The kid is a good player, and if completely healthy and in form, I think he'd probably be our 2nd choice right back over Frankie Hejduk.

Thanks for digging this one up, OWN(yewu)ED.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think he's already in the USMNT picture. The fact that Bob called him in for the Gold Cup, which at the time was our "A" team, tells me that. For instance when Spector went down injured in the final Bob had no hesitation bringing in Frankie. Injuries derailed his USMNT momentum, but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets back in the picture quickly.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no question Simek is in the picture. In fact he's odds on favorite to be the heir to Cherundolo's throne in the future. More of a stay-at-home defender but has shown the ability to get forward when needed. There's no surprise a Premiership club has been sniffing around, injuries aside. Simek ain't flashy nor a headturner with his play but there's more thing that makes him standout, consistency. We all know from a Nats perspective, we need consistent defending.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya just with the whole injury thing i think alot of people have just forgotten about him rather than write him off. It sounded like a pretty gruesome injury.

From a Wednesday perspective though i dont really wanna part with him because our defense is Mark Beevers, Mark Beevers, and Mark Beevers without Simek. Barely pulled off survival last year and until we get purchased the Russian billionaire whos been rumored to buy the club for awhile, kinda apprehensive about parting with our best defender. Selfishly would wanna keep him around anyways

Again from my own personal note, he looked good last time we played Mexico. Shut down Guardado completely, if i was drawing up our starting 11 id put him ahead of Cherundolo even in our starting 11 if we were putting a side out to specifically counter mexico. Just to glue Guardado, Castillo, or Vela all day like in the Gold Cup. Spector got torched on the first goal (credit he has gotten much better too though).

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If this goes down it would be great for Simek and is a tremendous statement about how his ability is regarded in England.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Does anybody know when Simek's contract with Wednesday expires?

8. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    That would be pretty sweet considering Villa doesn't have a single first team right back. Actually Lichaj is probably the best we have at the moment. Martin O'Neill is probably going to buy at least 2 RBs and I think Justin Hoyte might be one of them so Simek would have a good chance at playing.

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I have to say, seeing him play I thought he was good, but not premiership level talent. But I've been wrong before.

10. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Simek a lot. Only seen him play a few times, but he's impressed me each time. Solid defender but also has a bit of Frankie Hejduk in him in terms of his motor. I think he's probably on the outside looking in in terms of the 2010 World Cup simply because he isn't likely to start and as far as I know only plays one position (can he play LB??), but I'm expecting him to start pushing Dolo (who to be honest has started to slow down a bit IMO, I'm hoping he can hold on for the next 2 years) for the starting job after that.

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That didn't stop Bruce Arena from taking Chris Albright in 2006, and David Regis in 2002. I wouldn't count Simek out to be picked as Cherundolo's backup in 2010, assuming that Bradley picks 4 center backs, one left back (Pearce), and one utility defender (Spector). That would be 8 defenders, which is the same number we brought in 2002 & 2006.

12. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Great news, Villa is one of my favorite clubs in England and it'd be a great opportunity for the kid. IMO he's the heir apparent at right back, I've liked everything I've seen from the kid thus far. 2 million sounds a fair price for SW's player of the year last season.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes.

Granted, I'm not one of them, nor do I know anyone who is, but I'm sure SOMEONE knows. :p

(Sorry, it's a Friday and I'm in a crappy mood so I'm feeling a little chippy.)

14. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. He signed a new 3 year deal last summer, so there's two years remaining. Sorry, I don't have the link anymore.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    But Sandon, you usually know the answers to all my questions.......
    Stumped you this time.

Luckily for me we've got wikipedia.

It's says on Frankie's page that his contract runs thru 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Simek

I know we can't necessarily believe wiki, but that's as good as I got.

It's always amazing how quickly football rumors make it to wikipedia. The villa rumor is already on there.

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would definitely love to see another USMNT defender in the EPL. Can't hurt.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England isnt my favorite place for our players to go, but of the clubs and coaches that I like seeing Americans play for, Martin O'Niell and Aston Villa rate high. Great move, if true.

18. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Frankie Simek is an excellent defender.

As always I'm not going to get excited until something actually happens.

It must be said that Aston Villa would be in the range of ideal destinations.

19. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, he was a center back before he was a right back though he is somewhat short for that position

20. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a name I haven't heard in a while (or pronounced correctly yet). How's he progressing?

Imagine having Lichaj and Simek on the backline with Guzan in between the pipes at a club like Villa. It's a Y-A wetdream.

21. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Exactly, and it would be for a good squad...not a relegation-battler. I am not a big fan of Simek (yet) but I would love to see this happen.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey im a relegation battler :(

of course i would be all for ascertaining that come out of nowhere promotion candidate award that went to Bristol City AND Hull last year. It would just make sense that someone like Nottingham Forest do it again this year. Thats no joke they got themselves a contending squad this year.

23. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see Forest competing for promotion this season. I mean, they lost their best player to Derby this offseason.

24. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albright can play both fullback positions and could have played CB in an emergency. Regis traveled to Korea but didn't play despite our backline being decimated by injuries and cards...partly because he sucked, but also probably partly because he only played LB.

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well Villa need to spend the Barry cash somewhere!