ASN ceasing operation at end of March

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by orlandoinva, Mar 10, 2017.

1. orlandoinva

orlandoinva New Member

Sep 25, 2008
  2. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville

3. orlandoinva

orlandoinva New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    ASN (American Sports Network) is the company that produces D.C. United's soccer games. So if D.C. United doesn't pay for all aspects of the production costs. Games might not be on TV. Unless management goes and asks CSN for some kind of deal.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I doubt much changes considering it was all Sinclair.

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the fiasco that is MLS....................

6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that happens. DC moved from CSN and there is no mention of United on that channel at all. All the other local teams (including college) have their logos pasted all over their website, but not United.

Check out this link to CSN's More (Sports) > Soccer:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/soccer

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This is more United than anything MLS and I still don't see it changing anything.

8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    On the plus side without broadcasts of United playing Benny ball on the Agent Orange proving grounds at RFK, sans the horrid production and I assume painful announcing we can go back to more humane torture methods like waterboarding

9. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    much as it sucks that we have to be working out a tv deal after the season starts

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My point is this is a Mickey Mouse league. A club losing it's TV outlet 1/3 of the way into the season is Mickey Mouse.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I understand where you are coming from. The optics don't look good from a league standpoint,, but I can't use this as an indictment of the league. The league has a deal with FOX, ESPN, Univision and now Facebook. It's up to the individual teams to take care of their local broadcast deals in every sport. A shitty Sinclair deal was the best United could come up with.

This is a market where MSE teams fight over CSN stations and the Nats and Os have been in a dispute with MLB over MASN from the beginning.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  12. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    This doesn't just affect MLS. My alma mater's conference had their basketball and football games on ASN.

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't put this 100% on MLS. I simply call it a symptom of a bigger disease. Have you seen this USL2 side Minnesota United put out on the pitch. Good call on more expansion Don Garber.

Winoman repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    On the other hand, the team that put up 6 on them is an expansion team with no history or existing soccer structure.

15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True but they do have 1 or 2 MLS caliber players unlike Minnesota.

16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, ASN is the organization responsible for the train wreck coverage we've been experiencing? Thank God. Based on the broadcasts, I thought they were incompetent narcoleptic chimpanzees. Insolvency is a math based explanation I can understand.

I realize there's a chicken and egg problem here, but I'm going to ignore that, now that my faith in humanity and capitalism has been restored.

Has someone forwarded this link to the FO?

dadman repped this.
  17. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's all Sinclair.

19. orlandoinva

orlandoinva New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Yes it is All Sinclair. Sinclair overpaid for all these contracts for conferences and teams they are broadcasting. That and very bad productions is part of the reason ASN is going under.

Also the things they broadcast just doesn't draw viewers interest.

I don't see Sinclair continuing the pump money into broadcasts that don't make them money. I see games only continuing to be on Sinclair if D.C. united fronts all production costs.

20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Mr. Mouse takes umbrage with your comparison of his body of work and MLS.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the terminology my old high school coach used. Lol

22. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I never understood why CSN refused to cover DCU adequately. DCU were the black sheep on that Network. As soon as Salazar left DCU coverage was done.

23. orlandoinva

orlandoinva New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    If you ran a network, would you take on a product that doesn't make money?

It all goes to why ASN is shutting down, you can broadcast as much sporting events as you want. But if they are lower grade events, they just dont draw ratings. No ratings brings low advertising dollars. And now that you have a team that cant even score a goal this season, I dont see fans flocking to their tvs to see what a great product DC United has.

24. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, at the end of the Crew match, they did advertise the next match on April 1st, with the times for the pre-show. ASN is supposedly going under on March 31.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    DCU would be better off cutting a deal with Facebook, Twitter, or Youtube to broadcast games. Allegedly MLS demographics are off the charts. Those entities can offer a finer grain of targeted advertising to their constituents and are still learning the game. Additionally, they're pretty cash rich and might go on a breakeven basis with DCU just for the learning opportunity.

Petworth Posse repped this.