Pre-match: Ask A Local - Q&A on World Cup Travel

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Caesar, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Hi all,

It's been suggested by the Africa forum regulars that they host thread where they can answer specific questions people might like to ask locals if they're travelling to the Cup. This is it!

If you'd like to discuss your trip with other pilgrims to to the tournament, there is a thread here.

Bon voyage!

2. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  3. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently subscribed to several WC 2010 South Africa threads, but I'll post on this one...

What can you tell me about Fourways in Johannesburg (particularly, staying there)?

4. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Where in SA is best for a holiday, at the time of the Wolrd Cup. I'm over for the final and was intending to stay in Joburg or Pretoria, but I'm now considering staying in a warmer more holiday orientated place and then flying to Joburg for the last few days.
    So would people reccommend anywhere else? Or am I as well staying in the areas I mention. Just thinking some sun and sand might be better, also mixing with fellow holiday makers. I like a holiday atmosphere.
    Thanks

5. thatguy

thatguy New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Try going to Sun City if you're looking for a holiday atmosphere. Its not near the sea but its got the Valley of the Waves and many other attractions. Its about 2 and a half hours away from Joburg.

6. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Thanks, is it 2 1/2 hours by car? Can I fly there? I have a son age 18 and he will be looking for nightlife etc, so is this the place to be? Or would Joburg, Pretoria be better.

7. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cape Town mate - it is the place of beauty! Yes, it is much better in Summer, but its natural beauty is incomparable to Jhb.

8. thatguy

thatguy New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    2 1/2 hours by car I dont think you can fly there, not sure about the night life

9. thatguy

thatguy New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agreed Cape Town is great aswell

10. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
  11. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you can fly to Sun City....(first random link i searched)

Also look into smaller airports such as Wonderboom Airport and Lanseria Airport - this may becoming an alternative to expensive flights....who knows...(I do not recommend flying to George via chartered plains though....many people fly into the mountains cause of mist)

Your Son and yourself will probably enjoy either Jhb, Pta or CT....they're quite different, but have great facilities for young people.

1) Pretoria
    is friendlier and convenient...
    Very well situated to see SA...
    Drawback: only one stadium in PTA ittself - Loftus

2) Johannesburg
    is more active and intence....
    Very big and lots of nightlife....
    Drawback: safety can be of concern in some places....

3) Cape Town
    has the coast....
    nice weather if it does not rain....
    Drawback: can be expensive

12. dominic2010

dominic2010 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Is it safe to watch the worldcup in South Africa? I have heard lots of rumors from some people working there that the scammers are also preparing for the worldcup themselves.

how safe are the city where the worldcup games will be played? how about security in hotels, airports, stadiums, etc?

I also heard that some companies are offering to sell bullet proof vest??? :eek:

are we going to war or football games? :confused: