Asian U-20 Championships

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by DennisM, Oct 14, 2002.

1. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    They will be on ART America. Can somebody tape me a game or two? I would love to see some of these teams play.

2. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Does anyone have a feel for the U-20 teams competing? The only feeling I get is that it is wide open and that any number of countries, both from the Eastern and Western zones could win this thing.

Any predictions?

3. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Usual suspects:

Korea
    Japan
    Iran

4. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Japan took a fairly good U-20 team this time. The defence is a bit suspect in this generation, but there are some very talented midfielders and strikers, especially Kentaro Abe and Atsushi Katagiri.

I dont know if Japan can go all the way to win the final, given their weak defence, but I do think they should be able to win a ticket to the WYC, and they also should be very fun to watch. Expect a lot of high-scoring games (because Japan will get plenty of both goals scored and goals conceded).

5. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    For those interested, here are the groupings and match schedules from the AFC website.

http://www.asian-football.com/scripts/runisa.dll?s7:gp:166398:39913+u20/02/results/finals+1049+2002

GROUP A
    TEAM P W D L GF:GA PTS.
    Qatar 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    Thailand 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    Korea Republic 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    Uzbekistan 0 0 0 0 0:0 0

15-Oct-02 [1] Al Arabi Club, QAT 18:30 Qatar vs. Korea Republic
    15-Oct-02 [2] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 Thailand vs. Uzbekistan
    18-Oct-02 [7] Al Ahli Club, QAT 18:30 Qatar vs. Thailand
    18-Oct-02 [8] Al Ahli Club, QAT 20:30 Korea Republic vs. Uzbekistan
    21-Oct-02 [13] Al Arabi Club, QAT 18:30 Qatar vs. Uzbekistan
    21-Oct-02 [14] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 Korea Republic vs. Thailand

GROUP B
    Bangladesh 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    India 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    Japan 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    Saudi Arabia 0 0 0 0 0:0 0

16-Oct-02 [3] Al Ahli Club, QAT 18:30 India vs. Bangladesh
    16-Oct-02 [4] Al Ahli Club, QAT 20:30 Japan vs. Saudi Arabia
    19-Oct-02 [9] Al Arabi Club, QAT 18:30 India vs. Japan
    19-Oct-02 [10] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 Bangladesh vs. Saudi Arabia
    22-Oct-02 [15] Al Ahli Club, QAT 18:30 India vs. Saudi Arabia
    22-Oct-02 [16] Al Ahli Club, QAT 20:30 Bangladesh vs. Japan

GROUP C
    United Arab Emirates 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    China PR 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    Vietnam SR 0 0 0 0 0:0 0
    Syria 0 0 0 0 0:0 0

17-Oct-02 [5] Al Arabi Club, QAT 18:30 Syria vs. China PR
    17-Oct-02 [6] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 United Arab Emirates vs. Vietnam SR
    20-Oct-02 [11] Al Ahli Club, QAT 18:30 Syria vs. United Arab Emirates
    20-Oct-02 [12] Al Ahli Club, QAT 20:30 China PR vs. Vietnam SR
    23-Oct-02 [17] Al Arabi Club, QAT 18:30 Syria vs. Vietnam SR
    23-Oct-02 [18] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 China PR vs. United Arab Emirates

QUARTERFINALS

25-Oct-02 [19] Al Arabi Club, QAT 17:30 1st A vs. 3rd B or C
    25-Oct-02 [20] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 1st B vs. 3rd A or C
    26-Oct-02 [21] Al Arabi Club, QAT 17:30 1st C vs. 2nd A
    26-Oct-02 [22] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 2nd B vs. 2nd C

SEMIFINALS

29-Oct-02 [23] Al Arabi Club, QAT 17:30 Winner 19 vs. Winner 22
    26-Oct-02 [24] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 Winner 20 vs. Winner 21

THIRD PLACE

31-Oct-02 [25] Al Arabi Club, QAT 17:30 Loser 23 vs. Loser 24

FINALS

31-Oct-02 [26] Al Arabi Club, QAT 20:30 Winner 23 vs. Winner 24

6. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Suspects? What kind of crime did they commit?

7. Yuke

Yuke New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Japan

Add China PR and Qatar to the list of top contenders. They are good in this generation. Korea Rep will be strong with deep defense and some flashy strikers. Also, Thailand has some players who won Asian U-17 Championship, so they can't be neglected.

Anyhow, I guess Matsu tried to refer to Yutaro Abe(not Kentaro Abe). Nagoya's Katagiri is not selected for the Asian U-19 squad.

I'd also add GK Kawashima DF Nagata, MF/DF Kikuchi, MF/DF Konno, MF Naruoka to the list of most expected Japanese players. Omyiya Ardija(J)'s Kawashima was unofficially scouted by some Italian clubs after being named the best GK of the tournament in which some Italian giants' youth teams have participated this year. Kikuchi has been invited twice by Arsenal to join the training and still under the London club's attentions. Sapporo's Konno is the most experienced player in this squad and can be the good captain of this team. Naruoka had disappointing Worul U-17 Championship, but he's been known as a quick, high-skill attacking MF. And FW Abe is a very high-skilled FW who made debut at the age of 17. He doesn't have strong foot, but he can control the ball well when he goes for netting the ball. I heard Reginna MF Nakamura praised for his skills.

Japan's biggest weakness has been in defense, especially in this generation. The previous teams('98, '00) didn't have good defenders too when looking at personal defense skills and physique. But I think our defense this time may be better than the previous ones. Tsubouchi is fast and strog. He usually plays as sidehalf/sideback, but he can be a good stopper IMO. Nagata, expected to be the leader of the defense line, just made debut in J.Leage and played fairly well. He showed good covering/positioning and passing skills. Kakuda is a good defender, and I guess he is the next experienced DF next to Konno(he's already a starting right CB of Kyoto since the age of 18). He is a real fighter.

What I don't know much about this team is how good this team has prepared for this tourney tactically. Also, my concern on Japan is always how much they can handle difficulties they face during a game by their own hands. As far as I saw this team in World U-17, they were not handling problems well. They were just overwhelmed by France and Nigeria in every department like technique, tactics, speed, decision-making etc. They couldn't make adjustments flexibly depending on the sutuations they are placed.

Well, Japan's first match is against KSA. I hope they repeat the same as what Japan's Asian Cup winning team did in their first match back in '00

8. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Sorry, I was a bit drunk when I wrote that. I couldnt say that I was hungover, because I wasnt sober enough yet to be hungover. Im only starting to get hungover right now.

I am moving back to my home in Yamanashi next week, permanently, and all my friends from Tokyo had a party for me last night that didnt end until early this morning. My mouth tastes like the mud at the bottom of Sumida river. At least my head doesnt hurt (at least not yet).

Anyway, regarding the players you mentioned, I like Kawashima too, but I think that Tokushige may actually be a better player. He doesnt have as much experience because he plays behind another great young keeper, Yamagishi, at Urawa. But he really impressed me in the high school championships last year, and I think he will be a star player when he gets a bit more experience.

Naruoka is another good player, and certainly dont forget to mention Kobayashi Daigo, of Verdy, who has become one of Verdy's best players in midfield. However, personally Im not that impressed by Konno. I know he has lots of experience and has been a starter for Sapporo. But when you constantly play on a losing team, it can get to be a habit. Ill have to wait and see how he performs in Qatar, but I dont really view him as one of the team's best players even though he does have lots of playing experience.

The main thing that concerns me is that for some reason the team did not name some of its most explosive offensive players. Mogi and Abe are both good dribblers and Sakata is not bad, and adds an element of speed. But I cant understand why Japan did not take strikers like Unozawa (Reysol), Katagiri (Grampus) and Tamano (Verdy). Japan's U-20 age group has the most talented selection of forwards ever, but they are going to need experience in the team in order to mature. Nothing against Mogi or Sakata, but the three players I named above are all more effective scorers, and they **certainly ** are better than Yano, who hasnt even been signed by a J.League club yet.

I think that the U-20s will probably make up a large portion of Japan's Athens Olympic team, with only a few players like Matsui, Okubo and the two Tanakas being included from the U-21 team. At least they will have more opportunities for serious competition, since the Asian Games were the last real test for the U-21 squad, but the U-20s still have the Qatar tournamen and the WYC to develop their skills. Hopefully they can make a reasonably good result in this tournament.

One other worry I have is regarding coach Okuma. He used far too defensive a strategy when he was at FC Tokyo. He has a good eye for skilled players, and I think his philosophy is more like Zico's than Yamamoto, but I worry that he will emphasise defensive play too much. That would not be good training for this generation of players, who are all very offense oriented.

I would be interested to hear what you think about the team, since you probably have seen them play more than I have. I didnt see any of the U-17 tournament at all

9. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    Go Japan!!

The format was better in iran '00. they shouldn't decide the wyc participants at the knowck-out stage. it'll be sad to see even though one has strength to easily make it regional top 4, they couldn't make it wyc just because they lost in a pk tiebreaker against one team at best 8. how come afc chose the same format as the last asian cup in this tournament just because we have 2 more teams than iran '00??

10. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Results from the U-20 tournament

http://www.asian-football.com/mrel/news_44843_E.html

Group A

U-20 results for October 15, 2002 (in Doha, Qatar)

Korea Republic 1 Qatar 0

Scorers:
    Kim Dong Hun (KOR) 8?

Halftime: 1-0

Thailand 0 Uzbekistan 4

Scorers:
    Geynrikh Alexander (UZB) 15?penalty
    Salomov Shavkat (UZB) 63?br> Magdeev Idlar (UZB) 75?br> Holikov Muzaffar (UZB) 78?

Halftime: 0-1

I am a little shocked by the Thailand-Uzbekistan result. 4-0 drubbing by the Uzbekis.

11. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    LOL. Any true Chinese soccer fan knows this is BS.
    I've just about had enough of Chinese football

12. Yuke

Yuke New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Japan
    Matsu

I think U-19 players make up 1/3 of all the spots in the Olympic team. I could be wrong because they still have 1.5 years and could step up or down during that span.

Here's the list of my Olympic team...

GK: Fujigaya, Kawashima, Tokushige
    CB: Ikeda, Mita, Nagata
    SB: H.Tanaka, Moniwa, Kakuda
    DH: Little Abe, Aoki, Kikuchi
    OF: Ishikawa, Okubo, Matsui, Maeda
    FW: Tahara, Big Abe, Tamano

shenhua

China is always a force in the youth category.(because the top 6 or 7 teams are always the same in Asia, from the senior side to junior youth)

13. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    But we'll never win anything. China will always lose when the pressure is on.

14. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    damn i completely forgot we had one more game today.

15. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Group B matches are later today.

Anyone have the times of the matches?

16. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    16-Oct-02 [3] Al Ahli Club 18:30 India vs. Bangladesh
    16-Oct-02 [4] Al Ahli Club 20:30 Japan vs. Saudi Arabia

Times are Qatari time. Does anyone now the difference between Qatari and Chinese time?

17. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    japan 2-1 ksa 87th min!!

gogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogo!!!!!! go for win. beat them gogogogogogogogoogogoog!!!

18. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    it should be 4. if not then 5

19. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    ft japan 2-1 ksa

GOGOGOGOGOGO!! bye

20. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Results from Day 2 (Group B matches)

India vs. Bangladesh 6:0

Goalscorers:
    India:
    MARLANGKI SUTING (13')
    SYED RAHIM NABI (25')
    SYED RAHIM NABI (41')
    MARLANGKI SUTING (47')
    SYHLO MALSWAM TLUNGA (70')
    KUMAM SAMSON SINGH (85')

Half time: (3:0)

Japan vs. Saudi Arabia 2:1

Goalscorers:
    Japan:
    SAKATA DAISUKE (67')
    KONNO YASUYUKI (83')
    Saudi Arabia:
    EISA M H AL MAHYANI (46')

Half time: (0:0)

Huge win for Japan. It should clear them to win the group, barring a huge upset from the subcontinent.

http://www.asian-football.com/mrel/news_44944_E.html

21. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Today's schedule from Qatar:

17-Oct-02 [5] Al Arabi Club 18:30 Syria vs. China PR
    17-Oct-02 [6] Al Arabi Club 20:30 United Arab Emirates vs. Vietnam SR

22. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Team China training session:

[​IMG]

23. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    they're not wearing their WC kits? or is this picture from a while back? its weird cuz I just saw Canada with their old uniforms and not their new ones in their recent friendly against Scotland... China's and Canada's look soooo similar!

24. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Nice to see a fellow Torontonian who's also a supportor of CJK NTs !! Are you Korean? :)

Damn I missed the Canada-Scotland match on SportsNet. How did we do?

I think the red uni's are China's "away" kit. It's basically the same as the WC kit except for the colors.

25. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    hey K_19 whereabouts in T.O. do you live? Play any pickup or league soccer?