Asian Games 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'China' started by ntg., Oct 7, 2010.

1. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There was a draw today and China got the following:

Malaysia, Kyrgyzstan, Japan

The ladies team got:
    Korea Rep, Vietnam, Jordan

2. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    oooh, could be a tense atmosphere in the japan match. what with the recent Diaoyu Dao spat

3. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    think everything will blow over by then, plus its in Guangzhou so things wouldn't be as tense as if it was up north, but should be an interesting match, especially if its not the last of the group matches...

4. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

I'm not sure if it's more tense up North or South. But I can tell you the father of a college friend of mine, who is Cantonese, actually asked another friend of mine to leave the house right away, as soon as he found out he was Japanese. This happened in New York a few years ago. When it comes to Japan, the wound is still fresh for people from either the North or South.

But you're right I don't foresee any problem with this upcoming Asian Games from the China-Japan problem.

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    hopefully you'll be right. there are multiple protests going on now. although i'm not sure there is a big difference between the north n the south. iirc, the anti-jp 04/05 riots were quite ferocious in shanghai and guangzhou. maybe the diff is more acute between the cities and rural towns.

6. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Asian Games men's soccer starts on 8.Nov 2010.

8.11.10; 1900 hrs
    China v Japan at Tianhe Stadium

10.11.10; 1900 hrs
    China v Kyrgyztan at Tianhe Stadium

13.11.10; 1900 hrs
    China v Malaysia at Tianhe Stadium

China took part in its first Asian Games in 1974. The men’s soccer team has since won:
    bronze in Bangkok 1978 beating Iraq 1 – 0 in 3rd place playoff;
    silver in Hiroshima 1994 losing 2 – 4 to Uzbekistan in the final;
    bronze in Bangkok 1998 beating Thailand 3 – 0 in 3rd place playoff.

Now hold your breath for this.

The Republic of China won golds in Manila 1954 and Tokyo 1958 beating South Korea each time 5 – 2 and 3 – 2 respectively. Can you believe this?

Asian Games men’s soccer has become an U-23 tournament since 2002.

So who's making the trip to Guangzhou?
    You may catch Liu Xiang in action as well. Don't know if Yao Ming is going back. He has just played his first NBA match since recovering from injury.

7. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    No chance in hell Yao's going back, I think reality has finally hit home, the trip to China was already hard enough for him, let alone a meaningless tournament. I thought about going and still might head down, the China-Japan game will be interesting, but just don't think its worth it, can't see the crowds being very large for any of the events.

8. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    yup. it is a given that the roster for the Asian Games will not have china's nba players, that means no yao and yi. we don't need them anyway. plus, the fact that rockets are putting a 24min limit on yao tells you his condition is still pretty shaky after 15 months out.

9. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    opening ceremony is still in a few days, but tonight's the big one between China and Japan, might be worth watching...

10. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    I hope that players and fans will stay calm. No one will benefit if emotions get the better of them. Loss of control can ruin a player's future. The team must focus on playing good soccer. Fans must not over react even if the result is less than favourable.

I understand Guangzhou has ambition to host an Olympics. A successful Games with no incidents will boost its chance of a bid to do so.
    So stay calm and good luck.

11. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I'm sure the players will, this is just another match to them for the most part, the fans are a different story, but I don't expect there will be a good crowd (though we'll see, I'm expecting these Games will be horribly attended, but maybe not) and in any case, the emotions have passed.

12. vanacvn

vanacvn New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pls show me how to watch Vietnam-Bahrain now?

13. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    It looked like there would be no problems but the leaked video by jp a few days got me worried again, but not too worried. i hope bad feelings won't be stoked too much, mainland users can't get youtube right?

14. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japan 1-0 China HT:

I saw the China average age is 22.6, does that mean its your proper U23's? Any notable exclusions? Japan excluded any player who is a regular gameday player at a J.League club.

15. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    The Chinese team is the same, the only player with even the slightest bit of CSL experience is the keeper, Wang Dalei. Zhang Linpeng plays in the lower league and has a few MNT starts to his name, but I'm a big Chinese soccer fan and really haven't heard of anybody else in the team. Really bad performance tonight as Japan cruised to an easy win...

16. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    China should still be fine. The top two in each group plus the four best third-place teams advance, and Malaysia and Kyrgyzstan are no great shakes.

I'm just happy to see Southeast Asia doing so well -- Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand all won while Singapore drew 0-0 with defending champion Qatar. It's a welcome change from the craptastic senior teams.

17. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  18. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    It wouldn't surprise me to see China fail to get out of the group stages, but hopefully if that happens it won't lead to any overreactions. Many of China's U23 players have already established themselves and were too busy with league games to take part in this competition (think Feng Renliang, Hao Junmin, Deng Zhuoxiang, Yang Xu, and Huang Bowen among others). China's national team is already very young, I hope there are some 18, 19, and 20 year old who will be challenging for positions in a few years, but if the team sucks in this competition, its not the same as the Olympics embarassment.

19. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    The oldest player in the Chinese team was born on 10th January 1989 and that makes him less than 21 on 1st Jan 2010 which I presume is the cut-off-date of eligibility. So the average age cannot be 22.6. Even if calculation is based on today the average age will still be below 22.

20. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Looking through a number of rosters, this would appear to be a U23 tournament using Olympic rules, which means teams are allowed overage players, but China chose to send a U21 side.

21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Haha cool down I didn't do the research I just saw the figures posted on the Asian games thread in the AFC tournaments board.

22. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    The Asian Games site gives the birthdates of all participating athletes. Here is the link for the China men's soccer team.
    http://www.gz2010.cn/info/ENG_ENG/FB/FBE133A_FBM400400@@@@@@@@ENG_number=5001720.html

The players are all under 21 on 1st January 2010. This means they will be under 23 on 1st January 2012 and therefore eligible for the London Olympics. There are players who are under 23 but above 21 on 1.1.10 and they are eligible for the present Asian Games. They are not included otherwise the team will have to be re-constituted for London. I believe the intention is to keep this team together for the Oympics in two years' time. Japan is doing the same thing as all its players are under 21 on 1.1.10. I have not checked the S. Korean team's profile but I am quite certain they are doing likewise.

23. Zhou Botong

Zhou Botong Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Hello my good friend I was cool.:D I replied as a matter of exchanging information. Nothing more. In fact I have noted that Japan is doing the same thing of including only under 21s on 1.1.10. And I think this is a good strategy because it uses the Asian Games as preparation for a more important event which is the Olympics.

1 person likes this.
  24. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Actually China and Japan are the exceptions. Korea even uses one 82 or 84 player. I can understand what China is doing, but I'm sure we'll see plenty of changes before London. One obvious one would be that Feng Renliang is certainly going to be on that squad.

Then again, not sure how accurate the website is. Is every player on the Hong Kong side really on Jiangsu?!?

25. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    i think is just not accurate for the clubs, because wang dalei is not in dalian as memet is not in xinjiang ^^ just the mixed up the clubs with the birthplace.

and for the HK i think it was a lazy bone who write it ^^

[​IMG]
    and him i don´t think he is part of the korean team i think he is in monaco or maybe he came because the french league cup is right on the corner