Asian Cup Statics 1956-2004

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by persiantiger, Sep 4, 2003.

1. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

2. Saudi Bill

Saudi Bill New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    I'm intrested in player level stats. Did this ever happen?

3. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    how funny lebanon could host the cup in 2000.

4. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    How come Japan were so much better than everyone else in that 2000 tourney?

5. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    simple. because we are the indisputable best in the region. while the rest of weaklings were playing kick & run soccer, we're the only one to demonstrate the true art of football.

6. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hama speaks the truth. Nanami owned Asia in that tournament!

7. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    While you were the best team in the tournament overall, you can't say nobody was a match to you. Japan faded as the tournament went on. China gave you a run for your money in the semi, and in the final Saudi was the better team by everyone's account. You deserved to win the tournament because of the overall performance, but in that game you were second best. Heck in the second half you barely managed to go past the halfway line.

8. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

more like... only in that tournament.

The failure was good for us, because I think this tournament made sure that Hiddink come to korea.

9. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    thanx persiantiger jan for the stats. it's great, Iran rocks. After 2004, we will have our 4th championship.

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kawaguchi saved the day althrough he was the weak link in the earlier matches. Things would be different if Saudis scored the PK in the first half.

11. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    pains, disturbance, ill-passions, hatred, and all the distortion you possess in mind will be swept away and turn into l-o-v-e when the mighty japan enthrone themselves once for all in china 2004. the king of the kings salvation is near and our utopia will be created upon the god's realm where everybody sings only one song, "let's go japan, japan number 1!!"

12. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    8 Israel 13 9 0 4 28 15 +13 27 69.2

However, Israel had the highest percentage. They are still in eighth place despite having been out of the AFC for so long.

13. Espiro

Espiro Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Ludahai,

on the other hand you could argue that Iran only has two more losses than Israel despite having played 29 more matches. Now thats a more impressive number.

14. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    or you could argue that neither is impressive as the majority (or in the case of Israel, all of them) of those wins were recorded way back in the day, before there was real competition.

15. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    Back then, there were about 4 countries (Iran, S. Korea, N. Korea, and Israel) that were above the rest just like right now (Iran, S. Arabia[perhaps ;)], Japan, S. Korea). There was fierce competition amongst them and the level of football played was actually much nicer in some respects than nowadays. There is currently more countries participating but that doesn't imply higher level of competition YET!

16. Saudi Bill

Saudi Bill New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    I think Japan is above the rest. I'm talking about consistency of their performances against asian teams (and about them always findng a way to beat us Grrrr). SK world cup performance make them a close second in my book (we are talking about the asain cup right?).

Then comes iran, saudi, china, iraq, kuwait, and bahrain [perhaps ;) ]

So I dont think its the same as back then when Iran and SK ruled asian soccer.

17. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    what happened to some of the posts?

18. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    bitch mods wont even tell us that deleted posts now

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I deleted the off topic posts. PM me with questions, complaints, fan mail.

20. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    *yawn*

I'm gonna sleep now