Asian Cup 2011 Qatar - Group C Discussion

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Caesar, Apr 23, 2010.

1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Na. It ends here.

gonna be fun.

2. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    not again korea... it's like going to the same movie over and over again..

3. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    India lucky not to concede 10 goals today.

4. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^^

We haven't lost by the biggest margin in this version of the Asian Cup. :p
    We weren't the first to be eliminated either :p

5. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    That's a win/win for India. Fair play to India, you can only go up from here.

6. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just one fact I'd like to throw out there against the whole Korea vs Iran AC curse thing:

Korea has faced Iran in Qatar twice, and have won both times by the scoreline of 3-0. Once in the '88 Asian Cup and then in '94 WC Qualifying.

Disclaimer: This means absolutely nothing come Saturday. Neither does the AC curse! I'm just sayin'. :D

7. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ever since 96 Iran has faced Korea in the quarters and we keep alternating between who progresses

96: Iran beats Korea
    00: Korea beats Iran
    04: Iran beats Korea
    07: Korea beats Iran
    11: Iran should beat Korea

This also means absolutely nothing I'm also just saying :D

8. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    :p:eek:

9. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    It Appears that the gods of football has yet again decided to interfere in the affairs of mortals. There can be but one solution: for korea to beat Iran in the qf. Come now my fellow mortals, Iranians... Together we can build this tower of babel and challenge the will of the gods!

10. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Okay, there's a mass confusion in the Korean media right now on who the winner of Iran-Korea will face in the round of 4... and I don't know who to trust. Is it winner of Japan/Qatar or Uzbek/Jordan?

11. Farhad Khan

Farhad Khan Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Asia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It should be Uzbek-Jordan. If you look at other past Asian Cups, the formatting should fit like this that winner of Iran-Korea would face Uzbek-Jordan.

The KO rules might have changed but I doubt that as there was no real mention by AFC. I think it could just be a mistake by AFC.

12. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    South Korea - Iran matchup for the 5th time in a row at the AC. Obviously, this is not good for both sides if going by the past history means anything. The South Korea - Iran matches at the AC always happen to be nail-baiting and closely-fought ones. Whoever comes on top against the other ends up losing in the SF due to giving up all their energy in the QF game. It's going to be interesting to see if this trend also continues...

As for our match against India, all we needed was 1 more goal to top this group. 4-1 was the final score. Rain didn't help our chances coupled with our terrible finishing. I lost count how many times we hit the post as well. We scored 2 goals in the first 10 minutes and it looked as if it was going to be a double-digit game. But, right after we scored the 2nd goal, our defender made a huge blunder by pushing the Indian striker in our penalty box and the ref didn't miss a chance to blow the whistle. 2-1 and the Indians gained huge confidence boost from then on. Credit to them. They did play with their heart and defended very well till the last 90 minutes.

Btw, it looks like Australia will easily advance to the final. They will first face Iraq or N.Korea in the QF and then the winner of Uzbekistan/Jordan in the SF. This is the prize they got for topping the Group C. :)

13. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    goundhog day.

14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    india has done their task. they were put there by the law of natural order in order to maintain the Iran vs south korea status quo, which was fulfilled by the penalty goal today.

15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    and whats interesting is that every time south korea wins, its a dull, low scoring encounter whereas every time Iran wins, it is a high scoring, thrilling contest.

Iran 3-2 south korea.:D

but i dunno... south korea recently has been playing very 2010-2011 manchester united style.... very conservative (i guess park has been giving away safs secrets). so they might limit the game to a 1-0 or 2-1 or even penalties.

16. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    This is good news :D

17. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    lol typical making excuses even vs india. and this time Iran has a chance to beat the semifinal curse because the only 2 times we advanced within the south korea quarterfinal streak was vs saudi arabia and we lost on penalties, and host china who cheated and we also lost on penalties. this time we should be able to overcome jordan/uzbekistan.

18. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Your crooked mind can only see the word, "excuses" whenever me or KF post anything. Seriously, I've had enough with this lunatic. Can any fellow Iranians stop this guy from posting? This guy has so much time in his life that he's provoking everyone on every Asian Cup thread lately. Go spend your time elsewhere with your friend in your real life if you have no desire to make any football-related discussion. If you want to provoke the Koreans so much, then use WR. Not here!

19. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    guys, the first QUARTER FINAL match to be played at 16.15 local time is indeed QF2. and the one played at 19.15 is QF1.

http://www.the-afc.com/uploads/Docum...h_schedule.pdf

If we win our Quarter final we do have to play the winner of JAPAN/QATAR.

20. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just an update on the whole Quarter final -> semi final bracket:

It seems like even the AFC officials themselves are confused! According to Seo Hyung Wook's Twitter (a Korean sportscaster), he's been asking different AFC officials at the stadium and apparently their answers have been all different. LOL.

I love how even the officials don't know for sure cuz it kind of shows the AFC incompetence.

21. AsanoAram

AsanoAram Member

Apr 14, 2005
    AFC is just shameful. Can't we have Germans somehow run it.
    Idiots can't even come up with a set schedule.

22. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    indeed it's truely shameful!

23. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    According to Seo's updated twitter, it seems wiki/AFC official have got it wrong on their websites. The winner of Uzbekistan/Jordan will meet the winner of South Korea/Iran according to Seo's confirmation in which he got from the AFC organising director. AFC is surely confusing everyone.

24. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    WTH; this is rlly beyond sanity! :mad: what is it now??

25. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    you were making excuses about the rain even. lol. as if india didnt face the same. now you are reverting to personal attacks to counter my correct analysis. you seem quite agitated. im done with you.