Ashley Young Officially Joins Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by mhtwins113, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AY being suspended for the WH is kind of a blessing, as at the moment, the man is just a liability or just plan useless. What is amazing to me is how he keeps on being picked by the staff game after game. Don't care how good a shape he's in, a 33yr old should not be expected to carry such a heavy load and it's really not surprising that his performance level has dipped of late.
    Also, Dalot is trusted in all kinds of positions relatively unfamiliar to him, from RW to LWB, so why can't Ole try and give him a run at RB? Don't doubt that he's still got some areas he can improve upon but surely he can't be worse than AY is atm. He's definitely far more of an asset offensively, with his crossing a real source of danger for the oppo.
    We should get to see him vs WH, but ideally, it really should go beyond that game and he should get a nice run at RB for the coming games.
    Darmian, I believe appears to be back, so that is another possible option, but with Shaw out of our next 3 games, LB is probably where he will be needed (which would be fine by me, compared to our other options particularly).
    I get that this is not the time of year for breaks anymore, but some kind of enforced break for AY would surely be of benefit to the team, as he's just getting worse and worse..

Gilma1990 repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't give a shit about his age. The fact is he's just not a good footballer. He was an average winger in his prime and he's a worse fullback. Offensively has been as useless as Valencia and that's saying a lot. It's like we haven't figured out that the whole point of playing wingers at wingback is for their offensive output. If they don't provide that, then just play wingbacks that can actually defend. He does neither.

Anonymous_United, Gilma1990 and JC7rox repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #303 Ashur, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    His age is being brought up because it has to have an impact on his performance level, especially when he plays all the time (which he shouldn't be).
    He's done well to convert his game and he was actually useful, as previously mentioned, in spot duty. It's clear now that the more he plays, the worst he clearly gets. And as stated, Dalot can't be worse than him defensively. And we know how much better he is already offensively.
    But more importantly, it will be vital for us to bring in a capable RB this summer. Don't want a young prospect (that is Dalot's role and he's still the future for us in that position), but there are lots of veterans we can look at, until Dalot proves fully ready, starting as we've mentioned with Meunier. There has to be a play that can be made there, particularly if Dani Alves remains with PSG.

4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I see better quality players week in and week out in MLS. That this guy not only starts but captains Manchester United is a travesty. It is disgusting. I am sick of it.

Gilma1990, benni... and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ole keeps on picking him for whatever reason: that's where the problem starts and where it can and hopefully will end soon...

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And some people think we don't need additional wingback cover next season.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot 5 starts for England in the World Cup :p. He obviously has pictures of high ranking FA officials and Ed Woodward at an orgy involving meth and farm animals.

doubletrouble and Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    I read the title of this thread too fast and I thought it said 'Ashley Young officially leaves Manchester United'.

doubletrouble and Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad that Bailly is hurt (again). Really wouldn't mind seeing Ole giving him a try out there, if he still does not trust Dalot for whatever reason to play at RB. And who knows, it could even perhaps save his United career.
    Despite being rash at times, we know he is tough and can be uncompromising defensively and he definitely has the energy to play in a FB capacity. May not bring as much from an offensive point of view, but that's where a proper RW in front of him (or even Dalot) would make up for that.
    Don't know for how long he will be sidelined, but it might be something to consider once he returns. I fear that AY has reached his breaking point, just as Valencia did earlier this season. Very sudden, but that is to be expected with older players, particularly ones you ride constantly like they young players still.

11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He should never be a captain of united...

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope that Ole's eyes are wide open on this one and except in case of extreme urgency, this should have been the last we've seen of AY for the remainder of the season (and forever as well).
    I get that he signed a new contract but, as previously stated, this is the same thing that has happened with Valencia where the wheels fell off completely at this point and he should not be selected into the squad anymore.
    Darmian is back: along with Dalot, those 2 can man the RB spot for the remaining games and getting a (veteran) RB, with Dalot still the long term guy there, is now absolutely paramount.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hate on the club for not investing in FBs.

I hate on the managers who keep picking him (though some small mitigation of above).

However I don't hate on Ash himself at all.

He is done at this level but nobody can fault his commitment in playing and being a willing captain.

Put the blame where it should lie.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and incighte repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the same exact situation as Valencia. Never really had anything personal against the guy and in his time at the club, AY was a decent servant club (especially in recent years when he reinvented himself as a FB/WB).
    But like Valencia, the chicken have come home to roost in sudden and brutal fashion and that's why it's time for Ole and the staff to acknowledge that his time is done and not play him anymore.
    On a separate note, not liking the player is fine, but any attacks on the man himself and more specifically the color of his skin, are just vile, low and deplorable.

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So you're cool with him yelling at teammates on the field for screwing up while he makes more mistakes a game than the rest of the team combined?

16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nope, I would be mad at who selected him and made him captain.

If you are captain, should you yell at people for screwing up? Of course.

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the racist thing just further highlights how bratty and spoilt most United fans are. sure he made a mistake but realistically we were going to have to repeat a feat that had never been done before twice in succession. the odds of it were very low anyway.

besides if Ashley Young is as bad as they say then why not abuse the likes of Pogba and Martial then who should be doing more in such a game? especially if they believe Pogba has given up and is already dreaming of Madrid?

Young had to start anyway because of Shaw's suspension (not blaming him for that) and really the other options were:

• Darmian who the same fans say is also shit and has no match fitness or sharpness
    • Rojo - lol. yea as if starting him would be preferrable to the masses
    the racism was way over the top but not totally surprising. our fans don't have a reputation for that. the Young thing is just like the Blind @CB thing playing out again. mindless vitriol without any thought to the root cause or consideration for being out of position

18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Young is a spent force, to the extent he ever was a force. But we really can't blame him for the defeat to Barcelona.

Messi's first goal was a wonderstrike for the ages, although I suppose just another day at the office for the GOAT. The Coutinho goal...ridiculous. The De Gea howler, not Young's fault.

That said, we definitely need to use Young only when we're desperate for bodies or the outcome of the match is no longer in doubt.

Ashur might recall a heated discussion we had about Young many years ago. I stand by my assertion then, and now, that Ashley was never a good fit for United. Nor was he ever the central attacking midfielder it was argued then that he could be for us.

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stop referencing @Ashur in your posts. You sound like a clingy desperate ex seeking attention. He is not your good friend and don't remember shit.

benni... repped this.
  20. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Who was racist against Young?

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The usual social media scum. Bunch of cowards that spew hate behind a keyboard.

giggs88 repped this.
  23. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    I don't understand these people. Majority of the team is non-white. That one black dude's comment is even more bizarre.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Twitter: the social media platform that brings out the absolute worst in people. Trying to understand them is an exercise in futility. Not to mention that the vast majority are probably still very young and they just freely throw words about, because they can and with little thought of their actual meaning. Like the black guy who says it's ok to call another black man "************": that says it all... Not that it absolves them but this is what we're dealing with on that platform in particular. The lowest of the low...

25. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    I suppose the correct sentiment we all have towards AY isn't hate, but frustration. Exactly same thing we felt towards Rooney during the LVG days. However, since AY is black, people unfortunately bring race into the equation.