ASEAN Region Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by druryfire, Apr 2, 2008.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    With the suspension, the organisation for the AFF Youth Championships come into question this year.

Both set to be held in Indonesia, the U16 starts at end on July. Will AFF start to look for a new host or simply wait and wait until it's too late?

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  4. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Huge supporter base for the sport in the world's third most populous country too.

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #430 Pelefan, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    If the FIFA ban continues for a prolonged period of time and without any league to play in, what are their professional players going to do? Will they get paid by their clubs while not playing? If this is not so, how are they going to earn a living? Will they be allowed to play abroad with other clubs when they still have valid contracts with their respective domestic clubs? It is that or find jobs outside of football. This is devastating for Indonesian football. Apparently it has already affected the play of the Indonesian team in the SEA games in their final international tournament before the ban takes effect, as the players are concerned about their immediate future.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Paid by clubs.....I think most players are lucky they get pay on time at all. I'm sure the clubs will be saying no play, no pay. It wouldn't suprise me if most contracts in Indonesia are only paid when played getting the players into a bit of a sticky pitch. Can they move?

The clubs probably tell the players they can't move. They will probably also tell them that they can't pay as they have no money coming in, but i bet they won't allow them to leave without a transfer fee, of which i doubt any club in the region will pay, so they are stuck.

There will be players wanting to play abroad but who even manages the international transfer certificate? Who can actually deal with the regulating body in Indonesia? Who would want to? In cases like this, FIFA need to have some sort of rule that if your suspended then players can do what they want until the suspension is at least lifted, but this in itself would be open to abuse.

Suspension isn't fair on anyone, it is FIFA's last resort, but it stops the youth players learning and developing and that could be for the whole of the ASEAN youth this year with Indonesia set to host both AFF youth tournaments, already Indonesia are out of the AFC Youth competitions stopping their youth development for years!!

The clubs suffer, the players suffer, so whats the future for 12 year olds now? Don't go into football, stick to table tennis and the like.

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I am not too concerned about the rest of ASEAN. The AFF will just transfer the tournaments to another country willing to host this tournaments, but as has been mentioned by the new Dutch director of development that the Indonesian fed hired, they now have to stop any development activities including the AFC certification of new coaches because of this ban, which they only recently restarted after a hiatus of 4 years because of the chaos resulting from conflict between rival organizations claiming to be the legitimate Indonesian governing bodies.

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Sorry, yes your right.
    The youth championships have been moved to Cambodia and Laos according to the AFF Calendar.

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #434 Pelefan, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    AFF teams doing well in the WC qualifiers so far, with Thailand, Singapore and Philippines on top of their groups, winning or drawing more heralded opponents. Even their smaller teams are competitive with Timor Leste losing only 0-1 to the UAE. Australia also won their first game, giving the region an overall winning record over other subregions in this competition so far. Biggest surprise for me today is Singapore holding Japan 0-0 in Japan.

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Did you forget about Malaysia??? They appear to be going backwards.

On Malaysia... when they lose, they lose in style. What is it with them?

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Yes, Malaysia is kind of the outlier of the group right now as they say in statistics. I think they need a new coach. Overall the AFF still has a winning record though against other subregions.

12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I do, and I think they need to look abroad....someone who would want to change the system from top to bottom.

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #438 Pelefan, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    I wouldn't be too hard on Malaysia. Palestine fielded 2 new really good Chilean-Palestinians who both scored in the game against Saudi Arabia as well as a Swedish Palestinian, which really raised their level of play.

As for Singapore, this is the same team with the same coach, that did not make it out of the group stage of the AFF Championship finals event last year. Malaysia with the same coach, finished ahead of them in the same group and made it all the way to the finals only to lose to champion Thailand.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The thing with Malaysia though is that they put up a good fight at regional level but implode when they take on someone different.

Singapore, Thailand, Philippines appear to have a bit of battle in them.

But your right. Malaysia came runners up at AFF Championship so something is there.....short memory for myself but i guess others in FAM aswell.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #440 Pelefan, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Yup. It looks like FAM is reviewing the Malaysian coach'es performance. 2 6-0 losses in 2015 so far. I guess it is a case of what have you done for me lately situation.

http://www.espnfc.us/malaysia/story/2496164/malaysia-coach-dollahs-performance-to-be-reviewed-by-fam

http://www.espnfc.us/world-cup-qual...sight-for-depressingly-low-malaysian-football

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  17. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
  18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #443 Pelefan, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/asean-super-league-to-kick-off-in-august-2016

After delays and despite lingering doubts about the participating teams, the Asean Super League (ASL) has been given a start date for its much-awaited kick-off.

In a phone interview with The Sunday Times, Azzuddin Ahmad, general secretary of the Asean Football Federation (AFF), said it is aiming to get the regional league off the ground next August.

He added that football's world governing body Fifa had given the go-ahead for the ASL.

Said Azzuddin: "Yes, the ASL is on track and will take place next year. We got the green light from Fifa. At the moment, we are scheduling it for August 2016.

"It will run for around eight months and we are now planning for the next five to six years."

ALL SYSTEMS GO

We got the green light from Fifa... It will run for around eight months and we are now planning for the next five to six years.

AZZUDDIN AHMAD, AFF general secretary, on the tournament going ahead

Football Association of Singapore (FAS) president Zainudin Nordin is heading the AFF committee working on the mechanics of the ASL.

Azzuddin added that the AFF is now working out the details such as the composition of the league, fixtures and a possible promotion and relegation system.

Malcolm Thorpe, vice-president of sports development and events at World Sports Group, which is working with the AFF on the ASL, said: "We are working hard and closely with (all the member associations). Things are moving forward fairly positively."

"Fifa is in the process of creating a regulatory framework for the league," he added.

Thorpe said the league will begin at the earliest possible time that makes sense for all stakeholders.

However, he noted that the start date set for August next year represented a "tight timeline".

The ASL is expected to feature at least one team from each of the AFF's 12 member nations.

However, it is unclear if they will be existing clubs, a national age-group side or franchise teams like Singapore's LionsXII.

There is also uncertainty over Indonesia's participation.

Its football association (PSSI) is currently suspended from international football competition by Fifa.

The country's sports and youth ministry had cancelled the domestic football season because of a row over which teams were eligible to compete in the Indonesian Super League.

PSSI secretary-general Joko Driyono reiterated Indonesia's support for the ASL but said: "We are expecting further discussions with the ASL committee.

"There are still many things to discuss, such as the competition regulation and technical and commercial aspects."

"Indonesia is also in a very difficult situation," he added.

"If the Fifa suspension is not lifted by the end of the year, it is almost impossible for Indonesia to play a part in the ASL in 2016."

Joko added that the PSSI had earlier been given two spots in the ASL.

However, it is unsure which club it should send, or if it should create a new team.

Meanwhile, the new competition has been well received by other regional football associations.

Football Federation of Cambodia vice-president, Major-General Khiev Sameth, said: "On our part, we want to participate.

"We are now looking for resources to put the team together."

The Philippines men's national football team manager Dan Palami said he had not heard about the ASL's start date.

However, he is supportive, saying: "It's an interesting tournament, a lot of our clubs are looking at it, and the Philippine Football Federation are keen.

"The more competitions there are, the better it is for our development. A lot of clubs are looking at it, we are sure they will be interested, and we are exploring if we should send a club or maybe the Under-23s."

It is believed that Singapore's representatives could be the LionsXII who now play in the Malaysian Super League.

S-League powerhouses Tampines Rovers are also keen to play in the ASL.

The FAS could not be reached for comment.

_____

Will Australia be participating in this league? I think it is important for them to join as many of the AFF competitions as possible in order to gain support among AFF members, and avoid being considered disinterested members of the AFF and by extension the larger AFC as well.

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Despite the announcement above, the AFF Super League is still not a done deal. Thailand and Vietnam were not supportive of a league format in the past and wanted a Cup format instead. Indonesia is currently under suspension as well by FIFA and might not be able to participate. The structure is still under consideration and it is possible that only U23 sides might be sent initially.

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    For the development of the game, U23 would be best, but then I can imagine sides having a few ringers or want 2/3 over age players..

I'm not really behind this competition at the moment as they're to many uncertainties.

21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Right, some nations are notorious for using overage players and it would be difficult to verify that. I am more in favor of a Cup format myself, with no age limit. That way the domestic leagues don't get overshadowed but still gives their elite teams exposure to a potentially larger market and the players more international experience.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yes, they have to be careful not to upset the domestic leagues, but I can't see that happening. Someone who misses out is going to get seriously pee'd off with this.

Singapore S.League is going to fall over with this league setup. Brunei DPMM will no doubt be Brunei's reps in this. Singapore Lions will probably be the reps of Singapore. Teams like Albirex Niigata Singapore might aswell be in it. Harimau will pull out of S.League and then suddenly S.League has gone.

In Cambodia Phnom Penh will want to play and probably have two teams for domestic and this Super League until they get fed up.

The concept is good.....but they have to tread careful. If anything it should be like Indian Super League (if it has to be a league) that is short and sweet. But I think they want this going on for a full 9 month campaign.

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Yup, Singapore is the one really pushing for this league. They already have a relatively small population compared to most of the other AFF members, which don't particularly support their league very well, so they are looking to join a bigger league with potentially bigger advertising and sponsorship footprints. They try to make to do by inviting foreign teams like Albirex Niigata and Harimau to their league and other AFF club teams to their Cup competitions but still have difficulty attracting fans and making a profit.

As for the Philippines, the UFL or a potential successor national league is still developing, so I think they should concentrate on that before expanding to the regional level. A Cup format should be okay though as the elite and better financed teams have deeper teams that can compete at both domestic and international club competitions competitively without much difficulty. Having a club form 2 teams is a big ask though at this stage of their development with a relatively shallower pool of qualified domestic players to choose from compared to the bigger more developed AFF members.

24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It doesn't seem to be well thought out. It's hard to be for or against something as nebulous as this. I don't even know if its supposed to be a fully professional league or not. So far I've heard either under 23's, existing clubs or new franchises for the league setup. I think the region isn't ready for a full league set up. I think some sort of regional club competition organised on a tournament basis involving existing clubs would be a better first step.

25. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I thought it was the death of the league win the Mekong Club Championship was started.

I don't see why AFF can't just run a club competition along the same lines of the national team competition.