Artificial Turf vs. Grass

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Mississippi Flash, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi
    I've been watching the Cup games for a few weeks, and, of course, they are all on turf. Last night I watched the men playing Guatemala on grass in Nashville. I was struck be how differently the ball ran on through balls. We all know this, but it was striking after watching the women playing on turf. You can clearly see the ball decelerate as a player ran on to it.

I believe the U.S. women were hurt by the turf because we could not play balls over the top for our pacey players to run on to. Repeatedly, balls ran off the end line before our players could reach them. Let's hope that our women can play on grass in the future.

themightymagyar, McSkillz and jackiesdad repped this.
  2. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    if any country should have an advantage on turf it should be the US. They grow up on it and play on it more than any country on earth.

I just hope Abby doesn't get too many turf burns so she can resume her great season with her club team, oh wait, nevermind.....

3. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I just hope this great turf experiment is now over. It ruins the game and the only one's that like it are stadium owners because they don't need to pay a staff to maintain it

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Maybe the turf will provide the impetus to STOP playing the ball over the top so damn much and to evolve some decent tactics other than Route One.

Watching the friendly, I was struck by the speed of thought and play despite being on a much slower surface. What was really interesting was that the midfield showed for the ball centrally and in support as a matter of course, something I have only seldom seen with the women (thankfully, it looks to be trending upward).

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Cost isn't the reason.

There isn't much difference in total costs. Turf is more expensive, and it does require replacement and grooming with specialized grooming machines to be kept in top form. Plus it needs recertification for FIFA standards each year, which grass does not.

And it is turning out that a Turf doesn't last as long as manufacturers predicted. Providence Park is on its third field in 5 years.

Turf mostly exists because you can get more playing days per year on it and use it in foul weather. And Grass won't grow inside, which is how the first AstroTurf came to be.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #6 Cliveworshipper, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Not so, if you are talking FIFA certified . There are actually WAY more Turf fields in UEFA than in CONCACAF.
    (1601 to 132)

And just on a hunch, I compared Sweden and the USA.

Sweden wins, 34 to 33

And as I write, there are only three pitches in the USA currently carrying a two star rating that could remotely be large enough for a major international event , Providence Park. The Citrus bowl, and Century link. All other venues of any size have let their ratings lapse. And could not host an international at the moment.

http://quality.fifa.com/en/Football-Turf/FIFA-recommended-pitches-wordwide/#/index